OT: Portuguese unite! Portuguese speakers too.

rockey

Aug 12, 2018
If you're ever down there we'll have to watch a game together - I'm guessing there's very few Habs fans in Curitiba

I believe I would probably be the only one lol Not planning to go to Brasil for the next month's but if you need some tips or some support let me know

Reactions: Steve Shutt

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I know 2 Peruvian ladies ex-coworkers that went to Brazil, does that count?

What surprised the most was that they were able to get understood while speaking Spanish. I would guess it's because the language are not that far away and many Spanish speaking countries are around Brazil.

DailyKaizen

I guess I am late to the party... "porra"

Calma... Calma

Thought that link would be of interest.

Italian Portuguese here... But grew up with four languages and now speak 6...identify as a citizen of the world, not English or French Canadian (but qualify as both)

Habs fan for life

And also Benfica slb forever

rockey

Aug 12, 2018
I know 2 Peruvian ladies ex-coworkers that went to Brazil, does that count?

What surprised the most was that they were able to get understood while speaking Spanish. I would guess it's because the language are not that far away and many Spanish speaking countries are around Brazil.

Actually, and I don't know why, brazilians have no trouble understanding Spanish but the inverse is not true.

I went to Argentina and Colombia and could had no trouble from my side. Needed to speak Spanish tough because no way they get Portuguese

Reactions: DailyKaizen

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Actually, and I don't know why, brazilians have no trouble understanding Spanish but the inverse is not true.

I went to Argentina and Colombia and could had no trouble from my side. Needed to speak Spanish tough because no way they get Portuguese

Probably at least two major factors:

1) Brazilians get more exposure to Spanish in school, television, culture, ect. than Spanish speakers do to Portuguese. Furthermore, Brazilians are more likely to travel to Latin American countries than the other way around.

2) Portuguese (and this is especially true for the Brazilian variant) has quite a bit more complex intonation and pronunciation than Spanish does. Comprehension of spoken Portuguese is more difficult than Spanish is. Put a book written in Portuguese in front of Spanish speakers and they will understand 15-20% of it. Speak Portuguese to a Spanish speaker and they will understand much less.

A lot of people overestimate the similarities between Portuguese and Spanish, though. Somewhat similar structure, and some significant similarities in verb conjugation, but there's a lot less overlap in words than people think there is.

Reactions: rockey

rockey

Aug 12, 2018
Second point is true.

For the first one, not really in my opinion. We don't have access to Spanish media in Brasil, except for Despacito and Shakira =)

About traveling there is a lot of argentiniens in Brasil south beaches. Recently, there is also a big influx of Bolivians in Sao Paulo, but usually there is not much integration. I remember that we had one equatorian at university and it was quite a shock.

Don't want to say you are wrong but just share some tidbits

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Both my parents were born in Terceira, but they and their siblings grew up in Brasil and I was born & raised in Toronto so I'm a somewhat unique lil mix.

Last edited:

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
I guess I am late to the party... "porra"

Calma... Calma

Thought that link would be of interest.

Italian Portuguese here... But grew up with four languages and now speak 6...identify as a citizen of the world, not English or French Canadian (but qualify as both)

Habs fan for life

And also Benfica slb forever

Do you believe in Béla Guttmann curse ?
1494323347-jesus-horribme-gif-ingenieurjvc.gif

Reactions: DailyKaizen

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Interessante. Já conhece o Brasil? E como está aprendendo o portugues, só Duolingo?

I've been to Rio, Manaus, and the Sao Paulo airport but never Curitiba. I'm a fluent Spanish speaker (hoping that will help) and practicing daily on Duolingo but I need to some real life practical Portuguese experience (limited here in Singapore)

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Loving the vibes in here,
Pork and cheese power!

By the way just had a good sardinhada on the barbecue. They were so fatty and moist! I bet my neighbours loved the smell..
:laugh:

DailyKaizen

Do you believe in Béla Guttmann curse ?
1494323347-jesus-horribme-gif-ingenieurjvc.gif
Short answer...No...

That said the "curse" literally haunts my dreams...well last night it did because I remind myself to respond to your post before going to sleep.

Paradoxically, it is a curse in it of itself to believe in curses.

There are factors and strong evidence to explains a club like SLB in European Champions League football...the reasons are legion,one of them is having so much debt that they always have to be perpetually selling players to avoid going bankrupt and placed in a form of adminstration/receivership so there is little chance of squad chemistry ever building up to a meaningful critical mass

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad