Portland Pirates News (UPDATE: Will play 2013-14 season in Lewiston, Maine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Certainly bad news to hear that their future in Portland may be in doubt. Hope their negotiations with the city restart with earnest and that they reach a longterm deal.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
If they end up playing more games in Lewiston this season, maybe Glens Falls might be their next move after they lose the Phantoms next year.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Pirates future in Portland is in doubt
By Chris Roy Published: 30th August 2013

PORTLAND – The Portland Pirates are scheduled to open their regular season in less than six weeks, but whether they will ever play a game in the newly renovated Cumberland County Civic Center remains in serious doubt.

Link>>>>>>

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Pirates, CCCC at odds over lease
By Justin Pelletier, Lewiston Sun Journal Published: 30th August 2013

If the Portland Pirates are going to play anywhere other than the Cumberland County Civic Center — this year or beyond — it’s not going to be far away.

Link>>>>

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Hutch must be frothing at the mouth at the prospect that they could play in his building.

mHlnGXt9Xlnn1Qes3Vtn

Dec 9, 2011
Has always been a toxic relationship, but Petrovek knows the Civic Center can't survive without his team as a regular tenant - that building has nothing else to offer.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Has always been a toxic relationship, but Petrovek knows the Civic Center can't survive without his team as a regular tenant - that building has nothing else to offer.

Chuck Colson had a sign in his White House office that describes Petrovek's relationship with the CCCC.

The sign read "If you get them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow."

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Civic Center trustees seek legal advice on Pirates
By Chris Roy Published: 4th September 2013

PORTLAND – The Cumberland County Civic Center’s Board of Trustees met in executive session with its legal counsel for over three hours Wednesday to discuss its next steps regarding its main tenant, the Portland Pirates.

Link>>>>

hartfordyourmyhome

Aug 17, 2013
Certainly bad news to hear that their future in Portland may be in doubt. Hope their negotiations with the city restart with earnest and that they reach a longterm deal.

Exactly. I hope a deal can be worked out. I have been there a few times and I have Pirates friends. It would be a shame to see the team leave Portland.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Civic Center, Pirates head for legal showdown
By Chris Roy Published: 5th September 2013

PORTLAND – The Cumberland County Civic Center’s Board of Trustees and owners of the Portland Pirates are staring down at a possible courtroom showdown over whether an agreement reached in April constitutes a binding lease agreement.

Link>>>>

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
AHL Portland Pirates (Coyotes affiliate) File Suit Over Arena Lease

Chris Roy ‏@Chris_MHJ 4h
@PortlandPirates have filed suit against Cumberland County. More expected from 2:15pm presser. #mesports #coyotes #ahl #nhl

Chris Roy ‏@Chris_MHJ 57m
@PortlandPirates contend Apr. 17th lease agreement is binding agreement. Civic Center Trustees disagree. #mesports #Coyotes #ahl #nhl

Source: https://twitter.com/Chris_MHJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Chris Roy ‏@Chris_MHJ 4h
@PortlandPirates have filed suit against Cumberland County. More expected from 2:15pm presser. #mesports #coyotes #ahl #nhl

Chris Roy ‏@Chris_MHJ 57m
@PortlandPirates contend Apr. 17th lease agreement is binding agreement. Civic Center Trustees disagree. #mesports #Coyotes #ahl #nhl

Source: https://twitter.com/Chris_MHJ

Pirates, civic center may go to court over lease

To quote:

"The Cumberland County Civic Center's trustees and the owner of the Portland Pirates may be headed to court after failing to reach an agreement on a lease that would keep the American Hockey League team playing at the arena for at least five more years."

Source: http://www.pressherald.com/news/Civic-Center-board-takes-no-action-on-Pirates-lease.html?searchterm=portland+pirates+file+suit

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Pirates, civic center may go to court over lease

To quote:

"The Cumberland County Civic Center's trustees and the owner of the Portland Pirates may be headed to court after failing to reach an agreement on a lease that would keep the American Hockey League team playing at the arena for at least five more years."

Source: http://www.pressherald.com/news/Civic-Center-board-takes-no-action-on-Pirates-lease.html?searchterm=portland+pirates+file+suit

I'm sorry, you just can't make this stuff up!:laugh:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So, this is pretty much messed up. If I've got this right, the team plans to play out of the Lewiston Colisee (4000 seater) to start the season while improvements are being made to the Civic Centre, with whom they dont even appear to have any signed agreements and in fact appear to be miles apart on reaching one? Indeed, the Trustee's of the Civic Centre stating that they'll just fill the dates over 13/14 with other events, and that even with the pre-existing agreement they lost money or just barely broke even anyway? So I guess like, why bother? My God. Poor Phoenix. Here there top farm club, well, I just dont know what to say. On the business side of the equation, if it wasnt for bad luck they wouldnt have any luck at all. I mean, theres just no way the Pirates make a cent playing out of the Androscoggin Bank Colisee, who I note on their website dont even have the Pirates schedule up.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
So, this is pretty much messed up. If I've got this right, the team plans to play out of the Lewiston Colisee (4000 seater) to start the season while improvements are being made to the Civic Centre, with whom they dont even appear to have any signed agreements and in fact appear to be miles apart on reaching one? Indeed, the Trustee's of the Civic Centre stating that they'll just fill the dates over 13/14 with other events, and that even with the pre-existing agreement they lost money or just barely broke even anyway? So I guess like, why bother? My God. Poor Phoenix. Here there top farm club, well, I just dont know what to say. On the business side of the equation, if it wasnt for bad luck they wouldnt have any luck at all. I mean, theres just no way the Pirates make a cent playing out of the Androscoggin Bank Colisee, who I note on their website dont even have the Pirates schedule up.

Yes, it certainly sounds like there are issues here-wow it seems deja vu all over again on a smaller scale, but instead of millionaire players, these are guys that are just trying to MAKE the big leagues and make peanuts in comparison-and for this stuff to go on, you gotta feel for them here

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

From what I've read in earlier reports, K (and it's admittedly very little)...

The Pirates thought they had a lease agreement worked out earlier this year and the commission that controls the arena changed it at the last minute with a "take it or leave it" attitude.

The guys here who cover the Pirates probably have a better handle on this. Maybe they can fill in some details.??

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
From what I've read in earlier reports, K (and it's admittedly very little)...

The Pirates thought they had a lease agreement worked out earlier this year and the commission that controls the arena changed it at the last minute with a "take it or leave it" attitude.

The guys here who cover the Pirates probably have a better handle on this. Maybe they can fill in some details.??

Yeah, wasn't there someone who posted very intermittantly in the Coyotes mega-threads who worked for the AHL team of the Coyotes?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Portland Pirates sue Civic Center over lease dispute

To quote:

"The lawsuit was filed “to get the home ice back for the Pirates, its fans and the public,†said Harold Friedman, an attorney with Verrill Dana LLP in Portland, who is representing the Pirates.

The Pirates’ National Hockey League affiliate, the Phoenix Coyotes, also have “grave concerns†about whether the Portland team will be in its home arena, Friedman said.

“If the Pirates are unable to return to their home ice after the renovations are done, there is a very real possibility that the Coyotes will terminate its relationship with the Pirates,†the Pirates asserted in the lawsuit. “The Pirates would then be unable to stay in business.â€

The AHL and the Phoenix Coyotes did not immediately return calls seeking comment."

Source: http://www.pressherald.com/news/maine-Portland-Pirates-sues-Civic-Center-cumberland-county.html?searchterm=portland+pirates

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Press conference Monday at 2 in Glens Falls regarding the future of hockey in the GFCC. Doubt it's related to Pirates, but fun to speculate.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Wow! The big club finally has some stability and now this.

If the Yotes end up cutting ties with the Pirates, it will be a set back in their player development.

Otherwise, Ii the team can't operate out of Portland and Lewiston doesn't seem to be a long term solution then what? Pirates to Seattle perhaps? :sarcasm:. Oh the irony that would be!

Overall, not pretty

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Pirates sue Civic Center over disputed lease agreement
By Chris Roy Published: 7th September 2013

PORTLAND – The Portland Pirates have filed a lawsuit against the Cumberland County Civic Center’s Board of Trustees over failed lease negotiations to play at the downtown arena.

Link>>>>>

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

A couple of FYI's..... ;)

The Pirates website is down because they are building a brand new site.

Also, playing out of the Colisee in Lewiston wouldn't be a money loser, in fact, the Pirates are likely to make money because ownership now has a majority stake in the arena and they collect all the revenues from the building.

The Pirates contend that both sides came to an agreement back on April 17th and the trustees approved and signed the so-called lease agreement. Therefore, it’s an enforceable agreement in the state of Maine – most likely anywhere really – and the CCCC is now trying to use the liquor licensing issue as a way to getting a better deal.

I’ve read the complaint, request for injunction and affidavit from Petrovek and it’s compelling, but I’m not a lawyer and I haven’t read the briefs yet from the Civic Center so it’s difficult to weigh one over the other at the moment.

The CCCC contend that it’s nothing more than a resolution, a guide for further negotiations, and there was never a deal in place. They say it was only to allow them to further lease talks.

I’m calling bunk on that because in the time I’ve been dealing with the trustees and the Pirates they’ve never approved a set of talking points to keep taking. To further that point here is what Neal Pratt said in an April 18 article which I wrote.

“I think this was the only deal to be made at the end of the day and the question was, is it in the best interest of the county taxpayers to have this deal or not to have this deal. I think both parties worked extremely hard and if you look at the amount of work that went into this deal it was essentially the only deal to be made.”

http://mainehockeyjournal.com/2013/04/17/pirates-civic-center-come-to-terms-on-new-lease/

That certainly doesn’t sound like a resolution to me.

I’m not sure how the judge will rule… I suspect he might kick them both out of the courtroom for wasting his time and tell them to fight it out in the playground or he may force them to mediation of some sort, but I think both sides will get a deal done. It might not happen until Jan. and the Pirates may have to play the entire season in Lewiston, but as I said that’s not a doomsday problem because the team is likely to make more in Lewiston with fewer seats than in Portland.

The bottom line is the Civic Center needs a full-time tenant. These people who are appointed as trustees are a bunch of dinosaurs. Most of them eat dinner by 3pm and are in bed before Wheel of Fortune comes on. For the longest time they just had to deal with their little building and now because of the renovation they are forced into the real world of building management and they haven’t the first clue at what they are doing. They need the Pirates because the trustee’s just pick pocketed the county residents of $33M to renovate a building that isn’t going to attract one more event then they were already getting.

Another point…. Folks who think they’ll end up in another city. I’m not so sure on that. I won’t say it can’t happen, but you need to understand that we’re not just talking about an AHL franchise that would be for sale, but rather a lot of real estate, branding and copyrights/trademarks.

Huh? You say….

The AHL Pirates are only a piece of a much bigger conglomerate. Ownership also owns OA Sports Performance Center, which is a complex that houses MHG Ice Centre, OA Center for Orthopedics, Michael Phelps Swim Center and the offices for Octagon Olympics & Action Sports. It’s also the home of the Portland Junior Pirates and the practice facility of the AHL Pirates. They recently spent $3M to expand the rink, add office space, add locker space and make other improvements to the facility. The ownership group is also majority owner now in Firland Management which owns and operates the Colisee in Lewiston. The AHL Pirates is the engine that makes this work financially for the ownership group. Its brand power they’ve built in the marketplace. If they can’t play at the CCCC, it’s not necessarily that they moved to Adirondack or Houston or another city, but I suspect they’d play in Lewiston for the short-term while building a new 4,500 seat arena on property they own near MHG Ice Centre.

The number of seats is not important…. Petrovek has said they have a business model based on 3,250 fans attending each game. The model is based on corporate sponsors and the business community buying into what the Pirates are doing. So far, until this latest fiasco it was working.

mHlnGXt9Xlnn1Qes3Vtn

Dec 9, 2011
A couple of FYI's..... ;)

The Pirates website is down because they are building a brand new site.

Also, playing out of the Colisee in Lewiston wouldn't be a money loser, in fact, the Pirates are likely to make money because ownership now has a majority stake in the arena and they collect all the revenues from the building.

The Pirates contend that both sides came to an agreement back on April 17th and the trustees approved and signed the so-called lease agreement. Therefore, it’s an enforceable agreement in the state of Maine – most likely anywhere really – and the CCCC is now trying to use the liquor licensing issue as a way to getting a better deal.

I’ve read the complaint, request for injunction and affidavit from Petrovek and it’s compelling, but I’m not a lawyer and I haven’t read the briefs yet from the Civic Center so it’s difficult to weigh one over the other at the moment.

The CCCC contend that it’s nothing more than a resolution, a guide for further negotiations, and there was never a deal in place. They say it was only to allow them to further lease talks.

I’m calling bunk on that because in the time I’ve been dealing with the trustees and the Pirates they’ve never approved a set of talking points to keep taking. To further that point here is what Neal Pratt said in an April 18 article which I wrote.

http://mainehockeyjournal.com/2013/04/17/pirates-civic-center-come-to-terms-on-new-lease/

That certainly doesn’t sound like a resolution to me.

I’m not sure how the judge will rule… I suspect he might kick them both out of the courtroom for wasting his time and tell them to fight it out in the playground or he may force them to mediation of some sort, but I think both sides will get a deal done. It might not happen until Jan. and the Pirates may have to play the entire season in Lewiston, but as I said that’s not a doomsday problem because the team is likely to make more in Lewiston with fewer seats than in Portland.

The bottom line is the Civic Center needs a full-time tenant. These people who are appointed as trustees are a bunch of dinosaurs. Most of them eat dinner by 3pm and are in bed before Wheel of Fortune comes on. For the longest time they just had to deal with their little building and now because of the renovation they are forced into the real world of building management and they haven’t the first clue at what they are doing. They need the Pirates because the trustee’s just pick pocketed the county residents of $33M to renovate a building that isn’t going to attract one more event then they were already getting.

Another point…. Folks who think they’ll end up in another city. I’m not so sure on that. I won’t say it can’t happen, but you need to understand that we’re not just talking about an AHL franchise that would be for sale, but rather a lot of real estate, branding and copyrights/trademarks.

Huh? You say….

The AHL Pirates are only a piece of a much bigger conglomerate. Ownership also owns OA Sports Performance Center, which is a complex that houses MHG Ice Centre, OA Center for Orthopedics, Michael Phelps Swim Center and the offices for Octagon Olympics & Action Sports. It’s also the home of the Portland Junior Pirates and the practice facility of the AHL Pirates. They recently spent $3M to expand the rink, add office space, add locker space and make other improvements to the facility. The ownership group is also majority owner now in Firland Management which owns and operates the Colisee in Lewiston. The AHL Pirates is the engine that makes this work financially for the ownership group. Its brand power they’ve built in the marketplace. If they can’t play at the CCCC, it’s not necessarily that they moved to Adirondack or Houston or another city, but I suspect they’d play in Lewiston for the short-term while building a new 4,500 seat arena on property they own near MHG Ice Centre.

The number of seats is not important…. Petrovek has said they have a business model based on 3,250 fans attending each game. The model is based on corporate sponsors and the business community buying into what the Pirates are doing. So far, until this latest fiasco it was working.

Unfortunately MHG is still run by the same people as before :(

Ron Cain is essentially the one who financed the MHG work (who also owns a majority stake in the Pirates). Even if the team moved and he sold his portion, he makes out with a rink with some critically needed upgrades.

Last edited:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Unfortunately MHG is still run by the same people as before :(

Ron Cain is essentially the one who financed the MHG work (who also owns a majority stake in the Pirates). Even if the team moved and he sold his portion, he makes out with a rink with some critically needed upgrades.

Steve Solloway: The faceoff that's leaving fans in the cold

To quote:

"I don't lay the blame squarely on Petrovek. He doesn't have the personality of his counterparts with the Sea Dogs and Red Claws.

He squeezes and then squeezes more to get the revenue he says he needs to keep the Pirates in Portland. That's the best and the worst of American sports capitalism. His sweat equity is in this franchise.

The problem is he hasn't learned how to not make the squeezing feel like choking. Just ask Pratt and the commissioners. They've learned how to squeeze, too. Rather than working together, we get this perpetual standoff. My lawyer will be talking to your lawyer.

Flush it. Quebec City wants an NHL franchise. Petrovek could move the Pirates there, prime the pump and perhaps be part of an NHL expansion. Good for him."

Source: http://www.pressherald.com/sports/t...d_2013-09-07.html?searchterm=portland+pirates

Now, doesn't this sound just like IceArizona 'squeezing' the CoG,
where all the CoG will be getting is the rind and not the juice? :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad