Popularity of other sports in Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
FF2 this and Jatkoaika that. How about base your opinion on actual people and not some internet forums?

Personally I have occasionally experienced pure hate inside when I've met ''true'' hockey fans over the years. Almost always when a conversation with hockey fan turns into football you get the football is women's game, football players are ******s and REAL men play hockey arguments almost immediately. Also the multiculturalism of football is usually a terrible thing because best Finnish player is a Russian and the national team is full of immigrants and Finnish Swedes.

Of course not all the hockey fans are this kind of ignorant rednecks, but based on my personal experience these type of people are not rare at all. Not really worth ruining your day/evening trying to have a ''conversation'' or trying reasonably argue with person with sub-80 IQ.

And yet Finnish hockey fans love Komarov and Barkov?

How many cases of racism has Finnish hockey had anyways? Veikkausliiga, on the other hand...

http://yle.fi/urheilu/ropsn_erotettu_valmentaja_kiistaa_en_ole_rasisti/6033223
http://www.iltalehti.fi/jalkapallo/2010100612470673_vg.shtml
http://sportti.com/uutinen.asp?CAT=3-1&ID=184162
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/veikkausliiga/art-1288674719053.html

Last edited by a moderator:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Another thought that occured to me concerning re: Internet forums.

The thing is, Internet forums matter. They actually matter a great deal more than so-called "actual people". Because when one comes here and claims that he or she met a real idiot out on the street, that's all there really is - one person's account of some occurence told from a purely subjective perspective. Which is really no big news anyway because everybody knows you can run into a wide variety of idiots when you hit the night.

But the stuff posted on forums, social media, careless comments given to reporters... that's all on the record. It's recallable if necessary, can very much be used to point out that "yes, you did say so-and-so".

I don't mean to claim that so-called "hockey rednecks" don't exist. They do, I've run into a bunch myself. But since there's very little of them on the record, they can be easily written off as singular cases. Which is not so easy if you have whole soccer fan enclaves in the web, openly acting hostile towards the game of hockey. In the end, it doesn't really matter what the reality is. What matters is what one's rap is.

If the soccer fans wish to be taken more seriously, that's indeed what they should be doing - improve their record. But interestingly, at least in this thread, perhaps the most prominent defense we've seen is the simple "you guys are equally bad". Which strongly hints that soccer fans are not really interested in bettering their behavior - they rather wish to excuse it.

CHargoalie

Aug 17, 2014
Who the hell cares how popular the sport is globally and/or how good "we" are at it compared to other nations? No sport is better than the other, they are all the same; fun games. I've always found sports fans claiming that their favorite sport is "superior" and putting down other sports, extremely vain, insecure and childish.

That's a good point. I've never really understood "world wide popularity" as an argument, when it comes to your personal favorite sport. Another thing is the confrontation between hockey and soccer. It would make much more sense if soccer was played in winter time, and I think quite many hockey fans do have favorite soccer teams as well. Favorite domestic soccer teams, that is.

But when it comes to the number of hobbyists, I think Finnish hockey community can't just sit back and rely on "our product sells it self" attitude. That goes for our "Liiga" as well.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

This. Football fans think they are some how more civiliazed than others, which is fun, considering what they actually do and how they actually act.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad