Proposal: Poll: Will Smith or trade 5th overall for Clayton Keller?

Will Smith or trade 5th overall for Clayton Keller?

• Will Smith

Votes: 178 66.4%
  • Clayton Keller

Votes: 90 33.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Man the poll results are crazy. Keller's got an excellent contract, has that electrifying factor that we haven't had in a forward in forever, he's a superb skater, is very competitive (his team sucks but he tries his ass off when they want to tie the game which is a great sign), has high-end hockey IQ, is young, and is a play-driver. He's got all three of skating/IQ/skill combo at an elite level which is what you want from a great top 6 player.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Man the poll results are crazy. Keller's got an excellent contract, has that electrifying factor that we haven't had in a forward in forever, he's a superb skater, is very competitive (his team sucks but he tries his ass off when they want to tie the game which is a great sign), has high-end hockey IQ, is young, and is a play-driver. He's got all three of skating/IQ/skill combo at an elite level which is what you want from a great top 6 player.
It's age (turning 25) and size (5'10) that many take issue with.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Habs are not a 5 year plan now, they are a 2 year plan now to make the playoffs.
they are paying their top forwards 7 plus, its time build around with talent

guy like Keller is just that

Although I think locking up Suzuki and Caulfield long term as more to do with consolidating an internal cap before the salary cap’s inevitable (and likely severe) post-escrow readjustment, I concur about the timeline.

The Habs could reasonably expect to be competitive within 2 or 3 seasons. The most crucial factor in that regard being the moment the young D core will have gathered enough experience - and hopefully be reinforced by a potent RHD. (And of course if Montembeault is the real deal - or if the Habs can find another viable option if he’s not.)

As for forwards, a top-6 built around Suzuki+Caufield and Dach+Keller - 3/4 signed under 8M AAV for at least 5 years - is indeed intriguing. Especially if that top-6 is completed by Dubois (also under 8M AAV) and a more mature Slafkovski.

All things considered however, I’d refrain from pulling the trigger this year. I’d pick #5 OA and let Keller simmer another year in an University rink so his exasperation builds up. Once he formally requires a trade at some point next spring and Arizona loses leverage, I revisit the idea of trading for him in quality for quantity trade!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Although I think locking up Suzuki and Caulfield long term as more to do with consolidating an internal cap before the salary cap’s inevitable (and likely severe) post-escrow readjustment, I concur about the timeline.

The Habs could reasonably expect to be competitive within 2 or 3 seasons. The most crucial factor in that regard being the moment the young D core will have gathered enough experience - and hopefully be reinforced by a potent RHD. (And of course if Montembeault is the real deal - or if the Habs can find another viable option if he’s not.)

As for forwards, a top-6 built around Suzuki+Caufield and Dach+Keller - 3/4 signed under 8M AAV for at least 5 years - is indeed intriguing. Especially if that top-6 is completed by Dubois (also under 8M AAV) and a more mature Slafkovski.

All things considered however, I’d refrain from pulling the trigger this year. I’d pick #5 OA and let Keller simmer another year in a University rink so his exasperation builds up. Once he formally requires a trade at some point next spring and Arizona loses leverage, I revisit the idea of trading for him in quality for quantity trade!
This. Target him when Hughes has greater leverage and don’t throw the 5th pick into the equation. Best of both worlds.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Potentially an 80+ point player available, I expect 180+ pages of discussion... :sarcasm:
He’ll demand a trade after 2 years because he’s a princess

Will smith has been compared to Patrick Kane. I’d take a risk

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Absolutely. And we would be crazy not to do this if Michkov is gone at 5. He would be our biggest point getter, 86 points last year on a shit team.

Dubois - Suzuki - Caufield
Slafkovsky - Dach - Keller

We could win the cup with this top 6 in as little as 2 more seasons.
Not with our D, sorry to break it to ya

pickles555

Jun 5, 2023
You don't get a proven PPG player for a 5ov "maybe"

That's silly, there is no reason for Arizona to do that

Would you trade Suzuki for 6oa?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yes but he also costs 7 million dollars a year, to start.

When will a player like him start to decline, at 30?

When will we contend? in 4-5 years?

IMO it doesn't make sense to accelerate the rebuild like this.

The cap matters, a lot.
In 4-5 years he will be 28-29 and Suzuki will be 27-28 and others like Caufield, Guhle, Harris, etc. will all be 26 to 28 so what is your point?

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
I love Kent but it feels like he is very much the politically correct / virtue signalling guy.

If this is the case and Michkov is the one available at 5, I wouldn’t discount the probability of him trading the pick and Keller would be the kind of target that would entice him to do so.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You don't get a proven PPG player for a 5ov "maybe"

That's silly, there is no reason for Arizona to do that

Would you trade Suzuki for 6oa?
When a player wants out, that's usually the type of return you get.

And if Keller goes, after chychrun the yotes are in serious rebuild mode.

They might like the idea of adding linemates Will Smith and Ryan Leonard, plus maybe Gabe Perreault, to former teammate Logan Cooley.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Easy decision. W Smith. Center with size/skating/skill and cost controlled in the salary cap for several seasons to come.

Last thing we need is another undersized forward. What are we building here? A legit cup contender or a playoff pretender? Caufield, Farrell, and Hutson are enough undersized forwards. I'd make the exception to add Michkov but not Keller.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Easy decision. W Smith. Center with size/skating/skill and cost controlled in the salary cap for several seasons to come.

Last thing we need is another undersized forward. What are we building here? A legit cup contender or a playoff pretender? Caufield, Farrell, and Hutson are enough undersized forwards. I'd make the exception to add Michkov but not Keller.
Keller has so much more fight in him than Smith that the size difference doesn't mean anything. Not to mention that his skating/skill combo is lightyears ahead of Smith's.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Keller has so much more fight in him than Smith that the size difference doesn't mean anything. Not to mention that his skating/skill combo is lightyears ahead of Smith's.

I'd value Smith over Keller. And I do like Keller. Smith is going to get stronger and he is a center.

Keller ruins our cap structure. Bad timing IMO.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'd value Smith over Keller. And I do like Keller. Smith is going to get stronger and he is a center.

Keller ruins our cap structure. Bad timing IMO.
Why? You're hoping the absolute best case scenario Smith gets close to Keller. Keller is way more of a gamer and Smith won't be playing center for us.

Keller has one of the best contracts in the league at 25 years old, it's a no-brainer.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why? You're hoping the absolute best case scenario Smith gets close to Keller. Keller is way more of a gamer and Smith won't be playing center for us.

Keller has one of the best contracts in the league at 25 years old, it's a no-brainer.

Smith can disappoint yes but I think he is a NHL player and a middle 2C type. Could play 2C or 3C. Smith would enter into the Habs in 2+ years on a cost controlled ELC and possible Bridge after. Keller ruins the cap structure if you trade for him now. I have my sights on players like Dubois because I want a cup contender. Not a team full of sub 6'-0 / 200 lbs. That won't win in the playoffs.

Easy decision for me. I take my chances Smith reaches his potential. Keller is 5 more years at $7.15M then UFA at age 30. Habs compete window is when Suzuki/Caufield are in the age 25-30 range. Keller for 5 more years then UFA is not the same as Dubois for 8 more years than UFA. Draft Michkov or Smith and trade for Dubois. That's my stance. Nothing against Keller.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Smith can disappoint yes but I think he is a NHL player and a middle 2C type. Could play 2C or 3C. Smith would enter into the Habs in 2+ years on a cost controlled ELC and possible Bridge after. Keller ruins the cap structure if you trade for him now. I have my sights on players like Dubois because I want a cup contender. Not a team full of sub 6'-0 / 200 lbs. That won't win in the playoffs.

Easy decision for me. I take my chances Smith reaches his potential. Keller is 5 more years at $7.15M then UFA at age 30. Habs compete window is when Suzuki/Caufield are in the age 25-30 range. Keller for 5 more years then UFA is not the same as Dubois for 8 more years than UFA. Draft Michkov or Smith and trade for Dubois. That's my stance. Nothing against Keller.
Again, how does he ruin the cap structure when he has one of the best contracts in the league? I don't blame you for not watching the Yotes play but when his team is losing, Keller is an absolute dynamo that does everything in his power to tie and potentially win the game for his team. PLD on the other hand had one good playoff series in his career and has been disappointing down the stretch when his team needed him the most.

So you'd rather take the potential middle 6 center over the PPG player. His contract is excellent for us and he's a significantly better player than PLD. Guy is a dog and doesn't shy away from anything, it's not like he's a Drouin. You'd rather have a small guy play big than a big guy not playing big like he should on a consistent basis.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hard to make that decision when the OP gave no info except "will smith or keller" .. did like every other player eligible for the draft die?
Picture the scenario where Will Smith is available at 5 and Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, and Mochkov go 1 through 4...

So what's your take...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well, that's easy. Like really, really, really easy.

Zach Benson.
Former NHL defenseman Phillip Boucher who's been involved in the Q and Hockey Canada thinks Benson's going to be a star in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad