Proposal: Poll: Will Smith or trade 5th overall for Clayton Keller?

Will Smith or trade 5th overall for Clayton Keller?

• Will Smith

Votes: 178 66.4%
  • Clayton Keller

Votes: 90 33.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
But we have a 24yo PPG star ? Braindead comment lol crawl back to your hole.
I wasnt aiming the brainlet picture at you, just thought it'd be a funny way to describe the feeling of letting Keller walk after 5 years of first line production without nothing to show for besides a trade in which we gave a younger version of him, or better.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Tough one. Keller’s age (24), position (PPG winger) and contract terms (7.15M AAV with 5 years left) could actually fit the Habs’ rebuilding strategy.

But pulling the trigger at the expense of a cost-controlled C - and taking the risk of Keller hitting UFA-status during an emerging contender window - could prove perilous on its own.

Overall, it’s worth it if the Habs think they can start competing within 2-3 years.

Reactions: Troyp

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Tough one. Keller’s age (24), position (PPG winger) and contract terms (7.15M AAV with 5 years left) could actually fit the Habs’ rebuilding strategy.

But pulling the trigger at the expense of a cost-controlled C - and taking the risk of Keller hitting UFA-status during an emerging contender window - could prove perilous on its own.

Overall, it’s worth it if the Habs think they can start competing within 2-3 years.
Habs are not a 5 year plan now, they are a 2 year plan now to make the playoffs.
they are paying their top forwards 7 plus, its time build around with talent

guy like Keller is just that

JohnTheBaptist

We are brothers/sisters and of the Divine Source
Nov 13, 2022
Absolutely. And we would be crazy not to do this if Michkov is gone at 5. He would be our biggest point getter, 86 points last year on a shit team.

Dubois - Suzuki - Caufield
Slafkovsky - Dach - Keller

We could win the cup with this top 6 in as little as 2 more seasons.

Reactions: 26Mats

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I would seriously consider this : 5OV + Gally for keller. Arizona need to take a big contract.

The real question is the rebuild finish? We have the potential to finish in the bottom 5/10 next year. Another high first round player could be useful for the tank....

• Wow
Reactions: 26Mats and jaffy27

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
and what exactly are you guys hoping to get Keller for ? we're not getting Clayton for a bunch of B prospects hes a better player then Suzuki and Caufield so think about the return u would want for our 2 players and then add theres no way u get a chance at him unless u start with one of Suzuki,Caufield,Dach,Slafkovsky or #5

chances our player at 5 is better then Keller is very small ( unless we pick Michkov ) and hes under contract for another 5 years @ 7.15 thats an amazing contract so no i doubt will get better value with our pick
I don’t know what Arz wants but if he wants out and the Habs can package something outside of the core (Suzuki, Caufield, #5, Dach, Etc..) then great. Otherwise, their is no point; specifically because Keller seems to want out.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would seriously consider this : 5OV + Gally for keller. Arizona need to take a big contract.

The real question is the rebuild finish? We have the potential to finish in the bottom 5/10 next year. Another high first round player could be useful for the tank....
That's what I would like least about getting Keller for #5: makes our pick worse next year.

Reactions: rahad

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Habs are not a 5 year plan now, they are a 2 year plan now to make the playoffs.
they are paying their top forwards 7 plus, its time build around with talent

guy like Keller is just that
The ticker doesn’t start until guys like Suzuki and Caufield are in their prime and that’s still a few years away. We still have a lot of work to put it lightly when it comes to keeping pucks out of our net.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I really don't want will smith lmao. His offence looks incredible but I don't like all the other stuff. Idk if id trade him for Keller though

I want michkov and if not him I'll gladly take Leonard.

JohnTheBaptist

We are brothers/sisters and of the Divine Source
Nov 13, 2022

Gally has a no trade clause. And yes the rebuild would be completely finished. We could make the playoffs next year.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
We won't money to sign them all, I prefer keeping Smith and put money elsewhere.

They are no special recipe to build a winning team (except that you need at least a #1C and #1D). We won't have a franchise player to build around, so if we want to win, we will need a super complete team with no major hole.
Could have a franchise player. Just draft michkov.

Reactions: xposbrad

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Potentially an 80+ point player available, I expect 180+ pages of discussion... :sarcasm:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Cooley > Keller?

Smith may well turn out to be a Keller. But that's far from assured.

I think there will be room for both. Hoffman comes off the books next summer and Armia's last year can be moved. Also, maybe Armia is part of the deal for Keller to equilibrate salaries.

Also, when's the last time an American wanted out? Petry was due to covid. Was it Rod Langway???
I'll take my chances. Smith going to be hell of a player

pickles555

Jun 5, 2023
This team "worked" so hard this season to get that 5th OA and now you want to trade it away?

Why would you bother tanking an entire season, if the prize was going to be Keller? :huh:

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
My main concern with Keller is the term. You only get 5 years. And out of those 5 years, only 3-4 pretty much matter cause the Habs won't be competing for the next 1-2 years. He's American and will be seeking the most amount of money possible at ufa so it's likely be doesn't resign unless you throw crap loads of money at a guy close to 30. So essentially you're giving up at the very least 7-8 years of a player who may be as if not more effective than Keller for realistically 3-4 years. Habs have a super young core, realistically their window is probably 2025-2033.

Reactions: Andrei79

Chomsky22

Aug 1, 2022

1. Smith likely won’t make it to 5th
2. Smith is not a sure-fire center, winger is just as likely at nhl level. Lots of playmaking wingers bust btw

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He plays like he’s 4’8
I don't blame you for not watching the Yotes, but he really doesn't play small. Guy is a dog and wants the puck on his stick at all times. He's a special talent and takes over the game everytime the Yotes try to tie things up in the 3rd.

Reactions: sampollock

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Keller is no slush, the guy is driving offense on his own, 36 goals on a weak teams, nearly 90 points. Sure Smith have potentiel and his younger, but we already have a young core and promising prospects, Keller would elevate our player, hes small but he keep his heads up, anyway it will not happen but i would not be mad if im wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad