Speculation: Poll: Who's the first RFA Chevy signs?

Poll: Who's the first RFA Chevy signs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You don't really keep the roster intact that much by bridging him. It doesn't do anything for next season given Paul left. The year after is another story but all it will cost you is losing a Kulikov so I really don't see much in the way of roster implications. A bridge to Conner on the other hand will have a much bigger impact.

Kulikov won't be easy to move. I don't want to pay another Armia + deal to move his contract.

In my projections I've bridged everybody as they come along, except Laine. And it looks to me like we need it. Connor is more likely to put up the numbers that would have the bridge blow up in our faces, so if I am going to choose one more for a long term deal it would be him.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Kulikov won't be easy to move. I don't want to pay another Armia + deal to move his contract.

In my projections I've bridged everybody as they come along, except Laine. And it looks to me like we need it. Connor is more likely to put up the numbers that would have the bridge blow up in our faces, so if I am going to choose one more for a long term deal it would be him.

I like Morrissey on an immediate long term deal. Players with expiring ELC's offer the best long term AAV savings, particularly when you know they are projected to play a significant role for years.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
+Petan, Poolman, Dano, Niku? = 3-4 million = 23-25 million (out of 26.8 million in space)
+space for bonuses = 3+ million? (I can't remember how much the bonuses could be)

I just don't sign them lol
can't afford it

I'm definitely not resigning dano

23 out of 26 isn't that bad either til next year

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I just don't sign them lol
can't afford it

I'm definitely not resigning dano

23 out of 26 isn't that bad either til next year

But you need someone to take their spot who will be making the same money anyways, or call up Lemieux or somebody but then whoever that is is making roughly the same too

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like Morrissey on an immediate long term deal. Players with expiring ELC's offer the best long term AAV savings, particularly when you know they are projected to play a significant role for years.

If only it were that easy. This player is good. Lock him up. This other player we are not sure of. Bridge him. IMO, the best way to keep our team together is by syncing bridge deals with expiring bigger contracts. If it does cost more for the long term contracts in some cases, that additional cost will come after the cap has risen and some bigger contracts have expired.

If we could manage to move Kulikov 1 year early - which I am skeptical of - we could manage 1 less bridge deal. In that case, I still bridge Morrissey and sign Connor long term. Alternatively, if we could move Perreault after no more than 1 more year and without taking any cap back we could do the same. Move both and we wouldn't likely need any bridges until the '21 season. As long as the deals don't involve cap coming back. In '21 we have to bridge Roslovic and Niku or move someone else out. Buff?

The bridging strategy is not written in stone but I am not suggesting doing it because we are not sure of what we have in these players. It is a way to manage the cap. I'm not happy with having lost Armia, really for nothing, but it has created a little more cap flexibility than I was anticipating when I first did my projections. I just wish we had gotten an asset back in exchange.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If only it were that easy. This player is good. Lock him up. This other player we are not sure of. Bridge him. IMO, the best way to keep our team together is by syncing bridge deals with expiring bigger contracts. If it does cost more for the long term contracts in some cases, that additional cost will come after the cap has risen and some bigger contracts have expired.

If we could manage to move Kulikov 1 year early - which I am skeptical of - we could manage 1 less bridge deal. In that case, I still bridge Morrissey and sign Connor long term. Alternatively, if we could move Perreault after no more than 1 more year and without taking any cap back we could do the same. Move both and we wouldn't likely need any bridges until the '21 season. As long as the deals don't involve cap coming back. In '21 we have to bridge Roslovic and Niku or move someone else out. Buff?

The bridging strategy is not written in stone but I am not suggesting doing it because we are not sure of what we have in these players. It is a way to manage the cap. I'm not happy with having lost Armia, really for nothing, but it has created a little more cap flexibility than I was anticipating when I first did my projections. I just wish we had gotten an asset back in exchange.

My philosophy is to sign your young core long term through their prime years and allocate the remainder to aging players and depth pieces.

While likely unpopular and something the org wont do I would sign both Morrissey and Conner long term and see if their is any cash left over for Wheeler. If not he walks. Ideally we get to a situation where players are paid more for their good years and not when they are on the way down for no reason other then loyalty or seniority. None of those two factors should factor into contracts to athletes.

Reactions: Bigfish

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I kind of feel as though what everyone else gets paid will depend a lot on what Trouba gets paid, so I think he will be Chevy's first focus. Either him or Hellebuyck.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Helley signs for 6 years at 5 per year
Lowry signs a 4 year deal worth 9 total
Morrissey gets 8 at 5.9 per year
Poolman gets a 2 year deal
Dano,Tanev,Petan and Lipon all get 1 year deals

Trouba gets offered roughly the same Deal Morrissey is offered but I think he refuses to sign it and goes for arbitration
I'll propose the following...

Hellebuyck at 6x6m
Morrissey at 8x6m
Lowry at 4x3.25m (edited)
Trouba at 4x6m or 5x6.3m
Poolman at 3x2m

I think Trouba signs just before arbitration. If he isn't signed before arbitration, he's traded within the next 12 months.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My philosophy is to sign your young core long term through their prime years and allocate the remainder to aging players and depth pieces.

While likely unpopular and something the org wont do I would sign both Morrissey and Conner long term and see if their is any cash left over for Wheeler. If not he walks. Ideally we get to a situation where players are paid more for their good years and not when they are on the way down for no reason other then loyalty or seniority. None of those two factors should factor into contracts to athletes.

I understand the thinking. I think you are far too worried about a Subban outcome. Not that I don't think the longer term 3rd contracts won't be higher but being delayed they won't be as bad, relative to the rest of the situation.

I agree with the bolded but we see different paths to get there. If we give big, 6-8 year contracts to 22-23 YO players we get the Wheeler situation. Delay that by 2 years and they are past their peak years and we can offer them lower cost final contracts. These are not the 4-5 year terms that take your players to 27-28 YO and potential UFA if you don't bid high enough (like what we may have to do with Trouba). These are 2 years, followed by 6-8 years, getting 8-10 years after ELC in total. At least, that is the plan.

And speaking of the Wheeler situation - having him walk is what I'm trying to avoid. I'm also assuming that Chevy will extend Wheeler whether I like it or not. I wouldn't plan on letting him walk. I would trade him now if the intention is not to extend him. I know that would be unpopular but I wouldn't give up that return for 1 year of him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I understand the thinking. I think you are far too worried about a Subban outcome. Not that I don't think the longer term 3rd contracts won't be higher but being delayed they won't be as bad, relative to the rest of the situation.

I agree with the bolded but we see different paths to get there. If we give big, 6-8 year contracts to 22-23 YO players we get the Wheeler situation. Delay that by 2 years and they are past their peak years and we can offer them lower cost final contracts. These are not the 4-5 year terms that take your players to 27-28 YO and potential UFA if you don't bid high enough (like what we may have to do with Trouba). These are 2 years, followed by 6-8 years, getting 8-10 years after ELC in total. At least, that is the plan.

And speaking of the Wheeler situation - having him walk is what I'm trying to avoid. I'm also assuming that Chevy will extend Wheeler whether I like it or not. I wouldn't plan on letting him walk. I would trade him now if the intention is not to extend him. I know that would be unpopular but I wouldn't give up that return for 1 year of him.

I understand where you are coming from. I am not as worried about a Subban situation, more so concerned with maximizing the overall value for dollars spent on contracts on a team wide scale. It irks me that we have to short change a good young player due in large part because we have a couple of poor value deals on the team in Kulikov and Myers.

In the grand scheme of things inking your best players early represents your best chance of getting players who overachieve their contracts long term as you are generally signing them while they are still on the upswing and not finished products. The more of those that you have the better your team is and the more excess cap you have to surround them. While on the extreme end contracts to Mckinnon and Scheifele point to how important it can be to get things done early. Both signed at the same time and both would be looking at $10 million had they been off their two year bridge this summer. The most likely situation of a Morrissey bridge is that you have to pay him fair market value for a good all around number 1 dmen when it comes due. Not a Subban deal but a higher value then what you could get him for now while he has less leverage and a shorter track record.

In large part the reason why we have to bridge Morrissey is because we have the most expensive third pair in the league. That is a horrendously inefficient way to allocate cap space.

You like to bring up Tampa but would they be in a better spot now and over the past few seasons if they had not signed an aging declining player in Callahan to a nearly 6 million dollar deal and instead used that money to sign Kucherov to a long term 6 to 6.5 million dollar deal? Give me Kucherov for 7 to 8 years at 6.5 plus 3 million in cap space over what they had to do.

Value for money is also why I am terrified of a potential long term Wheeler deal. He will almost assuredly provide poor value for his contributions and that will have long term ramifications down the line up. We very well could be in the position where we have to let go of a superior player because we are overpaying 35 year boat anchor making $8 million.

Yes you can use bridges to effectively manage poor value deals but I would wager if a team could sign a base of players to good value deals through their core and round out the support pieces with a combination ELC's and money puck vet and depth pieces they would give themselves the best and most sustainable chance to win. See the New England Patriots in the NFL for an example. They consistiently move on from players once they age out and become too expensive for the value they provide.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I'll propose the following...

Hellebuyck at 6x6m
Morrissey at 8x6m
Lowry at 4x13m
Trouba at 4x6m or 5x6.3m
Poolman at 3x2m

I think Trouba signs just before arbitration. If he isn't signed before arbitration, he's traded within the next 12 months.
Morrissey and Helle are about .75 to 1million a year to much. You must really love Lowry to pay him more then mcjesus.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
+Petan, Poolman, Dano, Niku? = 3-4 million = 23-25 million (out of 26.8 million in space)
+space for bonuses = 3+ million? (I can't remember how much the bonuses could be)
Niku won't be on the team until Myers is gone next year. We already have 8 D for this year with Buf, Morrow, Myers, Kulikov, Trouba, Morrissey, Chiarot and Poolman.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Hellebuyck at 5 x 5.2m
Morrissey at 2 x 3m or 7 x 5.25m
Lowry at 4 x 2.9m
Trouba at 5 x 7m
Poolman at 2 x 950k
Dano at 1 x 950k
Petan at 850k
Tanev at 2 x 1.125m
Comrie at 2 x 850k (two way)
Anyone I miss that might play for the Jets next season?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Morrissey and Helle are about .75 to 1million a year to much. You must really love Lowry to pay him more then mcjesus.
I hope Chevy gets Morrissey and Hellebuyck for considerably less, but I'd be okay with those figures on long term deals.

I like Lowry, but not that much... meant $13m over 4 years, or $3.25 AAV.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'm going to say JoMo is last, since he doesn't have arbitration rights.

That should mean he signs any day now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad