Poll: Who/What do you blame for missing the playoffs?

Who/what is most to blame for missing the playoffs?

• Steve Yzerman's roster composition

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • Derek Lalonde's coaching

Votes: 39 21.8%
  • Goaltending

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • Over-reliance on veterans on the blue line

Votes: 18 10.1%
  • The players not gaining the necessary points

Votes: 30 16.8%
  • Bad injury luck

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • Other (list in the comments)

Votes: 22 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I'm glad to see the percentages focus on GM and Coaching, although its not fair to rate coaching until there is a real roster. Our defense and goaltending are not deep enough for any coach to compete. It's still a work in progress.

I also think "blame" is a strong word. This is a team that is continually improving and on track. We just missed and that's that, and even so the team actually overachieved IMO, sure there is disappointment but also room for this team to be proud of the season.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
It also worked out somewhat because in all likelihood they would have drafted Lafreniere over Raymond. And the cap space was then blown on guys like Copp/Compher/Holl etc
Not necessarily. The Wings were big onTime Stutzle, and there were rumours that year that Yzerman would have picked Stutzle over Laf. At this point it doesnt matter, because I'm clearly pumped we have Raymond.

Raymond and Stutzle are the 2 top talents from that draft, so yeah, were happy with Raymond.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We ran with a hot AHL goalie for a while, the wheels fell off for him in the period we fell out of the playoffs.

Ultimately the players didn’t get enough points. But going into the season to be a playoff team we needed a massive Raymond breakout and the goalies to survive behind a below average D that will hopefully at least chip in offensively. This was quite literally the talking point of the Winged Wheel pod and a few other places. Most of what we needed to go right did and Kane was a massive addition.

Ultimately we had games where we out scored or overcame problems. But our worst unit was the goalies outside of when Lyon was hot. When missing on a razor thin margin this is the group I take most issue with. The other hopes came together in my opinion. The goalies didn’t and I think Yzerman must address that position, not interested in the options we have.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Given Yzerman drafting Seider at #6 I don't think you can say anything about what he would've done in all likelihood

I was looking at Yzerman's draft picks since he became GM of the Redwings 5 years ago and I was impressed at how many prospects are doing well at the NHL, AHL SHL, KHL, OHL and NCAA level and still considered genuine NHL prospects that are mentioned often on the forums

2019 - Moritz Seider, Antti Tuomisto, Albert Johansson, Elmer Soderblom
2020 - Lucas Raymond, William Wallinder
2021 - Simon Edvinsson, Sebastian Cossa, Shai Buium, Carter Mazur
2022 - Marco Kasper, Dmitri Buchelnikov, Amadeus Lombardi
2023 - Nate Danielson, Axel Sandin Pelikka, Trey Augustine, Andrew Gibson

Obviously it is too early to say how the younger players from later draft picks who were not mentioned will do as they are still playing in the juniors but the record has showed that many have or about to make the jump to the AHL and the NHL already.

His first draft pick Seider at #6 was highly criticized for being a reach but Seider proved everybody wrong by winning the Rookie of the Year award in 2022 and is considered the 2nd best player in the 2019 NHL draft in most NHL redraft rankings and might even overtake Hughes at the end of their careers.

Another controversial draft pick was choosing Sebastian Cossa at 15th overall in the 2021 NHL draft over consensus top goalie Wallstedt.

He started slow last year in the AHL after just 3 games and played most of the season in the ECHL where he dominated but has gone 20-8-9 in 37 games to go with a 2.42 goals-against average and a .913 save percentage for Grand Rapids this year.

He went 19 decisions without a regulation loss (13-0-6) from Jan. 19 to April 5, establishing a franchise record. After an up-and-down first part of the season, Cossa has gone 16-2-6 with a 2.01 GAA and a .923 save percentage since Christmas.

Most telling of all he has outdueled other young goalie prospect studs Askarov and Wallstedt in the games he has played against them.

detroithockeynow.com

Cossa Measures Up Well Against Top Young AHL Goalies

What Detroit Red Wings fans want to know most about Sebastian Cossa is his ETA for the NHL. There’s still no timetable for Cossa’s ascension to the show, but Cossa is doing all that he can to expedite his rise. Cossa made 32 saves Wednesday to fuel the Grand Rapids Griffins to a 4-1 road […]

detroithockeynow.com
detroithockeynow.com

His first 2 draft picks this year Nate Danielson and ASP look like studs already with the former playing well in the NHL preseason as a last minute cut for the Redwings and ASP winning the best defenseman award at the World Junior Championships as well as for the SHL (Salming trophy) at only 19 y.o.

Last edited:

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Love him or hate him, that was a helluva gamble. He had a chance, and he went for it. You really have to admire a coach that's not afraid to do that, we haven't had one of those in Detroit since Scotty Bowman. And, it was a matter of timing. I fully believe he doesn't pull the goalie if he knows the Wings have the loser point.

The bitter mob's point was that the Flyers were already out of the post season. The game was tied. They should have left the goalie in and played for the win all the way to the shoot out. Instead they handed the Caps the post season.

The idea that they didn't realize they were out of it is only accepted by people who haven't attended a NHL game in the last 40 years.

NOTE: I am not bitter at Tort's. I think the guy is a clown and will fizzle out in Philly, like he has everywhere else. The Wings PLAYERS botched this opportunity all on their own. Not Philly, Lalonde, the schedule, the weather, injuries, not even the patch.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I also want to blame @Bench for not stepping up and playing in net for Detroit when it was clear we needed a new goalie. Way to go, dude.

That's on Yzerman. I printed off every post I've made on this forum and mailed it to his offices in Detroit. Several boxes worth of paper. I figured what better way to show my expertise and passion? Dude didn't even respond.

Trust the Yzerplan. Yeah, right.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I dunno much more about blame, per se, but I do know that, next season, when some Florida goon is getting away with a random headlock in front of the refs "because that's just the way they play, LOL", I want to see that Wings player immediately slew-foot the motherscratcher and land on top of him. Elbow first. Let management eat the fine and the player take the suspension and the goon take the broken ribs. But that message needs to be sent. Early.

Thinking about Torts, you think if you got headlocked away from the play that's already over and you skated back to the bench, Torts would say nothing? Or would he say you look so good standing there with Florida Man draped around your neck that you're gonna be getting a luau shirt in your locker to wear while you ride the bike?

Reactions: Sadekuuro

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The team showed good progress and improvement. I'm not sure why there is a need to place blame.
Uh, it's a message board. We discuss the team, and it seems totally fair IMO to discuss what was the biggest issue that prevented the team from making the playoffs. I agree with a few others that it was goaltending that simply wasn't up to the task.

Lyon took on a much larger role than even Steve Yzerman probably anticipated and he wasn't able to carry that load. It's not a criticism of him as a person, just acknowledging he was put in a tough position.

We have Husso and Lyon under contract for one more year. Does Sebastian Cossa make the team next season? Or do we want to try to sign another free agent and give Cossa and Augustine more time to mature?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
1. Not beating Washington when they had the chance
2. Not coming out for blood in any game down the stretch except for the Buffalo game

We needed two Hail Mary's to beat the worse team in our conference in the biggest games of the year.
It's funny because the Buffalo game wasn't a good effort and they played better against the preds, lightning, rags, panthers and caps and lost all of those games. Buffalo out shot us 38-24

They didn't "come out for blood" in that game, and it just makes your argument disingenuous at the end of the day.

We have twice the shots in a loss to the caps and we had no life :laugh: it's just easy to tell who pays real attention around here.

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
Does anyone know when Stevie plans to do his end of season presser? Was expecting him to today. But maybe he was taking today to speak to each player and then presser tomorrow?

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Can't disagree that goaltending was the single biggest positional problem this season, and a new veteran guy is needed on a 2-3 year deal whether by trade or FA acquisition. But the single biggest problem team-wise was 5v5 defense, which is more than just goaltending. The Wings gave up the sixth-most goals 5v5. The only team in the bottom 10 that made the playoffs was TB, and they obviously have the firepower to overcome that. Their season total includes being without Vasi for several weeks to start the season, and then losing Sergachev later.

While the roster was buiilt to primarily address secondary scoring and had too many guys unsuited to be part of a good defensive team, and too many new guys to think it could happen quickly, I think Lalonde has to take some blame here for things not improving over the course of the season. The only significant injury was to Larkin, there was plenty of time to get the rest of the roster on track for better defensive play, or for SY to make a trade that helped address it or call up Edvinsson earlier.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't understand that Lalonde bashing.

The defense did play in a risky was at first 3 months, but after Christmas there was significant system change and it turned out in a very positive way.

Also the advanced 5 vs 5 metrics started to improve, when Edvinsson was added and after some early struggle he got adjusted in.

I expect heavy impact from 100%-season Edvinsson for next season's overall numbers. It's kind of a hidden secret. The indicators were the, good signals. We could have now another "seider" on the back end, and that will just turn this team's possibilities around.

And doubling this effect, could be going after Pesce from UFA. Steady back end is the key to success. When Cossa will be ready, this team will be a nightmare to score against.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I don't understand that Lalonde bashing.

The defense did play in a risky was at first 3 months, but after Christmas there was significant system change and it turned out in a very positive way.

Also the advanced 5 vs 5 metrics started to improve, when Edvinsson was added and after some early struggle he got adjusted in.

I expect heavy impact from 100%-season Edvinsson for next season's overall numbers. It's kind of a hidden secret. The indicators were the, good signals. We could have now another "seider" on the back end, and that will just turn this team's possibilities around.

And doubling this effect, could be going after Pesce from UFA. Steady back end is the key to success. When Cossa will be ready, this team will be a nightmare to score against.

Henkka, Edvinsson definitely made a difference, which begs the question of why he wasn't called up earlier. As for team defense, where did the Wings rank in 5v5 GA at Christmas? if they improved the second half of the season I'll withdraw some of my criticism of Lalonde. I'm not "bashing" him, just trying to be objectively critical;; overall the team outperformed my expectations and I see no reason to make a change. If there was improvement the second half I suspect it was minimal, but happy to learn otherwise.

Reactions: AussieWings

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Henkka, Edvinsson definitely made a difference, which begs the question of why he wasn't called up earlier. As for team defense, where did the Wings rank in 5v5 GA at Christmas? if they improved the second half of the season I'll withdraw some of my criticism of Lalonde. I'm not "bashing" him, just trying to be objectively critical;; overall the team outperformed my expectations and I see no reason to make a change. If there was improvement the second half I suspect it was minimal, but happy to learn otherwise.
Start of the season to 12/31 the Wings ranked 9th worst in 5on5 GA with 2.24 5on5 GA/GM
1/1 to the end of the season the Wings ranked 7th worst in 5on5 GA with 2.36 5on5 GA/GM, though the damage was done primarily from the end of Feb on.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
T
Start of the season to 12/31 the Wings ranked 9th worst in 5on5 GA with 2.24 5on5 GA/GM
1/1 to the end of the season the Wings ranked 7th worst in 5on5 GA with 2.36 5on5 GA/GM, though the damage was done primarily from the end of Feb on.

Thanks.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The problem is that too many people seem to equate veteran with good. That's not how that works.
It goes the other way 90% of the time on these boards. Veteran = bad, kid = good.

And the cap space was then blown on guys like Copp/Compher/Holl etc
Compher was a real good addition this season.

Henkka, Edvinsson definitely made a difference, which begs the question of why he wasn't called up earlier.
Do you think he made zero progress during his time in the AHL? Maybe he wasn't ready much earlier. I really can't understand why it always is looked at as a bad thing that a player looks ready when called up.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Do you think he made zero progress during his time in the AHL? Maybe he wasn't ready much earlier. I really can't understand why it always is looked at as a bad thing that a player looks ready when called up.

Yep, I absolutely think Ed made progress in GR and was 100 per cent in favor of him being sent down to start the season. Off-season moves needed to be given a chance to work, too. By December though it had become obvious that Lalonde was down on Holl and Maatta had only just started to get going from a slow start, still wasn't great. Three goalies limited skater options and lack of injuries complicated things too, but there should have been an attempt even then to give Ed a look, and certainly by no later than the TDL

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It goes the other way 90% of the time on these boards. Veteran = bad, kid = good.

A thousand times, this.

Don't get me wrong I want to see the shiny new toys we have in the minors too but a lot of people tend to underestimate how big the leap to the NHL is from the AHL if you're a young player.

And just by percentages, some of these prospects are not going to develop into the player we're hoping they'll be, though I'd love to be wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad