Poll: Who To Pick At 2 OA

If we win the 2nd lottery, who do you want to draft?

• Total voters

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
So other than 5'10 what part of his game do you not like? Wright is likely gone at #1...

He looks to have all the tools to me.
A 5’10” center in the top 5 worries me. And it’s entirely due to his size. He checks every other box. He’s a great player but I have him outside my top 5 just because of his size. It sucks, but this just doesn’t seem like a BA draft player. Who knows, I’ve been plenty wrong in the past lol

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
If Garland is 5'10", how tall is Cooley really?

1651502578488.png

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'll be fine with Cooley if BA picks him. He isn't the kind of player I'd look for (the small skill guys were Chayka-esque and I'm kinda tired of that trend at the moment) but if Armstrong thinks he's BPA, I trust him.

Reactions: Baby Doaner and rt

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I’d be surprised if Cooley is taller than 5’8”. And didn’t Garland admit he’s 5’8”? There was even that NHL network commercial with him talking about his size and saying something like “I couldn’t tell you I was 5’10” and then meet you in person with a straight face” or something along those lines.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My preference:
Wright
Slafkovsky
Nemec
Cooley

In that order.
I have the same list. Followed by Jiricek and Savoie.
Post automatically merged:

I’d be surprised if Cooley is taller than 5’8”. And didn’t Garland admit he’s 5’8”? There was even that NHL network commercial with him talking about his size and saying something like “I couldn’t tell you I was 5’10” and then meet you in person with a straight face” or something along those lines.
Cooley doesn’t look especially short to me. I think he’s 5’10. If they combine finds he’s 5’10.75, I won’t be surprised.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I would be fine with Cooley......given the size of the other roster players under contract.

The Sportsnet article indicates he "could" be a franchise player. I'll be fine with any of the options. This draft seems pretty similar to 2006. All of the top 5 picks in and out of All-Star and Olympic lineups their first 10 years, several Stanley Cups..
.yada yada yada

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I have the same list. Followed by Jiricek and Savoie.
Post automatically merged:

Cooley doesn’t look especially short to me. I think he’s 5’10. If they combine finds he’s 5’10.75, I won’t be surprised.
The national team listed him at 5'11", so he's probably at least 5'10" plus a fraction

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
What's keeping Geekie out of the discussion? He has monster size and might project better in the NHL than where he is at the moment.

rt

May 13, 2004
What's keeping Geekie out of the discussion? He has monster size and might project better in the NHL than where he is at the moment.
Consistency. When he’s on his game he’s an absolute force. Dominant. When he’s off his game, he’s a big fat floater. Useless.

I like Geekie when he’s feeling it more than I like Shane Wright. When he’s sleepwalking, he looks like a kid I might take a chance on in the 6th or 7th round.

His floor keeps him outside my top five. His ceiling keeps him inside my top ten. He’s a very scary prospect. Swing for the fences type of pick.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
As RT stated, he just kinda doesn't give a shit 60% of the time. haha

He may be a great prospect to try and coach up, but no way should any team burn a top 5 pick on him.

rt

May 13, 2004
As RT stated, he just kinda doesn't give a shit 60% of the time. haha

He may be a great prospect to try and coach up, but no way should any team burn a top 5 pick on him.
When the other team does something to piss him off or wake him up, he's unbelievable. Do NOT poke that bear. If he gets hit hard early in a game, or gets shown up. Watch out! Not only is he a force offensively, but physically, and he gets mean and cocky as all get out. He becomes the show on the ice. WWF style. Like Fantilli does in the USHL (only much more regularlly).

I probably wouldn't trade-in a top five pick to gamble on Geekie. But I might trade Chychrun for Geekie and a little something extra.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Consistency. When he’s on his game he’s an absolute force. Dominant. When he’s off his game, he’s a big fat floater. Useless.

I like Geekie when he’s feeling it more than I like Shane Wright. When he’s sleepwalking, he looks like a kid I might take a chance on in the 6th or 7th round.

His floor keeps him outside my top five. His ceiling keeps him inside my top ten. He’s a very scary prospect. Swing for the fences type of pick.
I agree and it doesn’t help that Winnipeg is so skilled. He can’t stand out that way.

I have been very impressed with the progression in his skating in recent viewings and i think with a strong playoffs he could find himself in the mix for a mid top 10 pick.

rt

May 13, 2004
I agree and it doesn’t help that Winnipeg is so skilled. He can’t stand out that way.

I have been very impressed with the progression in his skating in recent viewings and i think with a strong playoffs he could find himself in the mix for a mid top 10 pick.
He could work his way up there for me for sure. Especially if Savoie checks in at like 5’8.5 or something crazy at the combine.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
He's going to fall to DET and Yzerman is going to know exactly how to get the most of him and in three years everyone will want to know why no other team took Geekie higher. Would be a hell of a pick for SJ or NYI too. Teams that can be a little more patient with him.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
This will be the 4th top 5 pick we've had since the franchise has been here correct? We can't pick another underwhelming player can we?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
With our 4 young C's, I see no reason why we couldn't be patient with his development.

I think why I'm hesitant is because I think we are going to need more stability to integrate a project into the line up. I don't want our wingers being held back because we are being patient with Geekie. I mean if we can move up to grab him around pick 10-15 than I will be ecstatic, but I wont be able to stomach taking him with our 1st.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
This will be the 4th top 5 pick we've had since the franchise has been here correct? We can't pick another underwhelming player can we?
Actually, we must. I don't care who we pick, as long as he or she or they is underwhelming.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be

Sounds like Nick Ritchie?

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nemec.

Big game RD with sky high potential. Slafkovsky is hard to pass on but we're talking RD vs LW.

Chychrun - Nemec
Moser - Soderstrom
Kolyachonok - Timmins/UFA

The top 4 is 100% Coyotes draft picks in the 1st and 2nd. This is Nashville level blue line potential where we are the envy of the league. 2023 we get our 1c.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Nemec.

Big game RD with sky high potential. Slafkovsky is hard to pass on but we're talking RD vs LW.

Chychrun - Nemec
Moser - Soderstrom
Kolyachonok - Timmins/UFA

The top 4 is 100% Coyotes draft picks in the 1st and 2nd. This is Nashville level blue line potential where we are the envy of the league. 2023 we get our 1c.

Koly isn't ready, he's only 20, needs another year in the minors, Chychrun is 100% gone in my book. He is definitely getting traded and hopefully BA gets us a haul for him, because we'll need it. I'm ok w/Nemec, I'm ok with Cooley, I'm ok with Wright/Slafkovsky/Nemec/Cooley/Jiricek in that order for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad