Poll: Who To Pick At 2 OA

If we win the 2nd lottery, who do you want to draft?

• Total voters

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Koly isn't ready, he's only 20, needs another year in the minors, Chychrun is 100% gone in my book. He is definitely getting traded and hopefully BA gets us a haul for him, because we'll need it. I'm ok w/Nemec, I'm ok with Cooley, I'm ok with Wright/Slafkovsky/Nemec/Cooley/Jiricek in that order for me.
We need one of those guys. If we win the second pick I wonder if BA could slide down to 5-7 and still get one of them if say a team like Philly or New Jersey has a bigger hard-on for Slaf, Nemec or Jiricek. Maybe they could toss in a big sweetener and we still land Jiricek or Cooley. It's risky though, unless a prospect like Kemmel, Nazar or FITB starts to climb.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Consistency. When he’s on his game he’s an absolute force. Dominant. When he’s off his game, he’s a big fat floater. Useless.

I like Geekie when he’s feeling it more than I like Shane Wright. When he’s sleepwalking, he looks like a kid I might take a chance on in the 6th or 7th round.

His floor keeps him outside my top five. His ceiling keeps him inside my top ten. He’s a very scary prospect. Swing for the fences type of pick.
Didn't Getzlaf have a similar critique? I seem to recall he did but I'm not confident. Anyone remember?

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Koly isn't ready, he's only 20, needs another year in the minors, Chychrun is 100% gone in my book. He is definitely getting traded and hopefully BA gets us a haul for him, because we'll need it. I'm ok w/Nemec, I'm ok with Cooley, I'm ok with Wright/Slafkovsky/Nemec/Cooley/Jiricek in that order for me.
I think Chych is gone too but I'm bummed about it. Just not counting my chickens before they hatch, except with the draft 🤣.

Wright, Nemec, Slafkovsky, Jiricek, Coolie is my top 5 order. I like Jiricek more than Nemec but I think Nemec ultimately will be better.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Haha not suggesting he's the next Getzlaf, just looking for reasons to like the player. I really want to move him out of my top 15 because he scares me.
He’s scarier than the guys in my top five and several in that next five, or so. But I don’t think he’s any scarier than the kids ranked 10-15. If rather take my chances with Geekie, personally.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
He’s scarier than the guys in my top five and several in that next five, or so. But I don’t think he’s any scarier than the kids ranked 10-15. If rather take my chances with Geekie, personally.
You've gotten to see way more of him than I, and if he fits in with those kids in the 10-15 range for you, especially when we share similar concerns, I'll follow your guidance on this one. I've got him 13 right now for reference.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
He's going to fall to DET and Yzerman is going to know exactly how to get the most of him and in three years everyone will want to know why no other team took Geekie higher. Would be a hell of a pick for SJ or NYI too. Teams that can be a little more patient with him.

Or Yzerman could pick him and he ends up being the next Filip Zadina or Michael Rasmussen.

I have them very, very closely ranked. Between 5-10 on my list. I’d take Cutter Gauthier over either of them.

I agree, and I also have Lekkerimaki over Kemell, too. He's more mutli-dimensional offensively and a better skater.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Or Yzerman could pick him and he ends up being the next Filip Zadina or Michael Rasmussen.

I agree, and I also have Lekkerimaki over Kemell, too. He's more mutli-dimensional offensively and a better skater.
I have concerns about Lekkerimaki against men, on small ice, with structured systems. I’ve got him at the end of the 1st. Kemell I’ve got top ten.

I don’t believe yzerman drafted either of those guys. :dunno:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
My dream is to get one of Wright/Slaf with our pick and then trade Chychrun to a 5-8th team and grab Jiricek.

Top center/power forward and potential franchise RHD in one fell swoop

I have a similar mentality, whether it's those exact players or not:

If we pick a forward (Wright/Cooley/Slaf) with the 1st pick, I want a legit future #1/2 Dman (or pick we can use for one) as the centerpiece in the Chychrun trade.

If we pick a Dman (Nemec/Jiricek) with the 1st pick, I want a legit future top line forward (or pick we can use for one) as the centerpiece in the JC deal.

In short, and while the trade will likely be 3 or 4 different pieces, we have to walk away from the combined draft + Chychrun trade with a future 1 or 2 Dman plus a future top line forward.

I have concerns about Lekkerimaki against men, on small ice, with structured systems. I’ve got him at the end of the 1st. Kemell I’ve got top ten.

I don’t believe yzerman drafted either of those guys. :dunno:

I was just using DET players as examples of guys who may not pan out (since DET was invoked), which is the concern with Geekie.

Reactions: Grimes

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I don't know why but I'm really warming up to Cooley as a potential target for our draft pick this summer. I'm holding my breath on the lottery balls first though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad