Poll: Who is named the next Oilers captain?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
IMO Eberle would be a good choice:
-signed long term.
-composure on-ice. Not likely to let the "C" effect his performance or over feed his ego.
-mature enough to bridge the gap between the young guns and the vets.
-with his demeanour, he wouldn't come across as a kid throwing a tantrum when dealing with on-ice officials.
-vanilla enough with the media not to offend us hardcore fans that dissect every word and fill-in-the-blanks to fit our own opinion.

That said, I predict Hall will get it this summer after Horcoff gets bought out. The fans love him and he is already representing the team while courting FAs and at the draft.

I agree. Eberle has Captain written all over him afaic.

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
Horcoff will not be bought out....what's the point? The Oilers are not in any cap trouble and he is the captain of the team.

Things will be tighter in 2013/14. Oilers will need to find almost 7m in additional cap space to cover Hall and Eberle's new deals. I fully expect Horcoff to be bought out before next season.

OilGuns

Aug 25, 2012
Red Deer, AB
Come on guys we need to Buyout Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle to make room for Horcoff, He's our Captain. Once his contract is done to give him the raise he desperately needs. I'm thinking 6.5 Million for five years would do it :sarcasm:

I think its pretty well known its going to be Taylor Hall as our next captain, but I would be fine if it was Jordan too, those are awesome points up there.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Horcoff will end up with a contract extension before he ever gets bought out...how sad is that?

Even though his cap hit is 5.5, he's actually only getting 4M and 3M in salary after this season.

It is feasible to assume that they will change the captaincy before that. I'd guess Hall.

I've always been a Horcoff fan and truly hope his career isn't coming to an end. But he always relied on skating speed for defensive positioning and its been slowing down. Guess there are 48-50 games to prove himself.

Having the buyouts come out of the player's share is going to make it very tempting for teams to use it.

Beatle17

Jan 14, 2009
I am not an Oiler fan, more a fan of hockey, but when I watch I really notice Smid standing up for his teammates, doing all the grunt work etc. I have heard his teammates enjoy playing with him so I think he would be a good leader for the up and coming players. Just a fans perspective.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Without a doubt, Taylor Hall. He is the new face of this franchise and plays with his heart on his sleeve.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Hall. After Landeskog got named, it makes sense that Hall gets the torch this summer, presuming Horcoff is gone.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
Why would you boo players on our team? (Unless maybe you're not an Oiler fan.)

Why would the captain of a team continually pass the buck and throw other team members under the bus? Don't worry, Horcoff has made his money, he will be ok. After this debacle, all the players need a good booing. I'm happy just booing Horcough though...

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Why would the captain of a team continually pass the buck and throw other team members under the bus? Don't worry, Horcoff has made his money, he will be ok. After this debacle, all the players need a good booing. I'm happy just booing Horcough though...

What about all the kids playing in OKC or Yakupov in the KHL? They've been going all year so far, for AHL salaries (not sure what Yak makes!). Gonna boo them? Are you going to boo Smyth or DD who showed up big for Canada at the Spengler cup, when they could have just stayed home, relaxed and rested? Horcoff said some pretty annoying things during the lockout, as did Whitney, but if you are booing the players for the lockout, I don't see why you'd boo the vast majority of the Oilers.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
What about all the kids playing in OKC or Yakupov in the KHL? They've been going all year so far, for AHL salaries (not sure what Yak makes!). Gonna boo them? Are you going to boo Smyth or DD who showed up big for Canada at the Spengler cup, when they could have just stayed home, relaxed and rested? Horcoff said some pretty annoying things during the lockout, as did Whitney, but if you are booing the players for the lockout, I don't see why you'd boo the vast majority of the Oilers.
No, nothing but respect for the kids, they kept their mouths shut and played good hockey for a fraction of what they would normally play. As a whole, I am happy with the way our players acted sans Horcoff.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Horcoff will not be bought out....what's the point? The Oilers are not in any cap trouble and he is the captain of the team.

It wouldn't be until next year when the cap goes down to 64.3 m and we have to re-sign Smid, Gagner, Hartikainen and Whitney or find a defense to replace him.

I don't think a Horcoff buyout next year is out of the question. Not a sure thing by any means but it could happen.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Anybody but hall. I dont get the love affair with the guy, what does he do thats captain material?

Skates really fast? Crashes into boards? He sure as hell doesn't have the experience in the NHL.

How about somebody that doesn't whine every 2 minutes, and actually is respected around the league? Somebody that isn't selfish and try to do it all by himself.

Ryan Smyth should be next captain.

I've seen this guy take pucks off the mouth and come out the next shift, i
i've seen this guy stand in front of 90MPH slap shots, i've never seen this guy whine, i've seen him constantly encouraging team mates on the bench. He is a solid veteran that had BLED Oil for the majority of his career and should of been captain. This is a guy that is respected around the league and is really what Edmonton is all about.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
If we're choosing the next captain of the Oilers, I'd like to choose one who actually earns it.

And yes, this includes Smyth. I'm a little tired to appointing captains to guys who seem like the right choice, but end up being poor. Smyth has shown he loves the Oilers, but really so did Moreau and Horcoff at the time. We need actual leadership.

If Horcoff is bought out, I'd like us to have a month or two without a captain and see who steps up. Then appoint a captain.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
I have never understood people's love in for Ryan SMYTH. He is not as good around the team as some people think, in fact, there were talks that he was one of the problems with the Oilers locker room. He has always been a pain to resign.. Ryan Smyth cares about Ryan Smyth. There is obviously a reason why he has never been a captain on this team. For the record, if Ryan didn't, have certain "intangibles" he wouldn't be in the NHL.
Taylor Hall works his ass off each and every shift. The Team plays better when Taylor Hall is playing. The same can't be said for Smyth, he has disappeared for half a season. Hall is the future of this team.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Anybody but hall. I dont get the love affair with the guy, what does he do thats captain material?

Skates really fast? Crashes into boards? He sure as hell doesn't have the experience in the NHL.

How about somebody that doesn't whine every 2 minutes, and actually is respected around the league? Somebody that isn't selfish and try to do it all by himself.

i've seen this guy stand in front of 90MPH slap shots, i've never seen this guy whine, i've seen him constantly encouraging team mates on the bench. He is a solid veteran that had BLED Oil for the majority of his career and should of been captain. This is a guy that is respected around the league and is really what Edmonton is all about.

I'm going to leave the intense hate towards Hall alone in this one, but I will ask why on earth we would give the captaincy to another over the hill plugger who is not going to be on this team in 1 year?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

What a disaster of a post. :shakehead

Anyways, I'm disappointed that Smid isn't on the list of options. I choose Hall, but Smid needs some love.

C - Hall
A - Smid
A - Eberle

imo

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
i concur the idea of not having a captain in a little while. let's slap A's on Hall, Eberle, Whitney, Smyth, Smid, and see what they will bring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad