Prospect Info: Poll: Who Do You Want The Devils To Draft First?

What's your preference for the Devils at #6 overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
*IF* the separation of players from 3-8 is just razor thin (which seems to be the case), I'd have to think we'd have to go by projected need in 2-3 years when the pick is probably going to start having an impact.

Because of this, my top two are:

Drysdale - While we have plenty of depth in the system on the left side, we currently only really have Walsh and McCarthy on the right. We need someone to replace Vatanen an eventually Subban. I'm not sure either are the solution. I suppose we can play Smith on the right if needed.

Holtz - We've been looking for another shooter. We've been looking for a player with some size. We've been looking for top 6 right wings. We don't really have any that project to be top 6. MAYBE Anderson or Bastian, but they're both looking like bottom 6ers. We don't know if we'll have Palms and/or Goose in 2 years. I put Holtz lower on the list because if we miss out on him, we have a shot at Quinn, who can do much of Holtz can.

After that, I'd probably go Stutzel, then Rossi.

Thompson has emerged this year as a contender to develop into a top 6 goal-scoring RW. Anderson, Clarke, Moynihan and Zetterberg all have very sound mid-6 RW potential. Bastian and Studenic can both be nice bottom 6 RWs, and Gritsyuk/Pasic are both left-shots who play a lot on the right side. So we're not thin there. But I agree that we lack a surefire first-line type stud RW, and Holtz would certainly fit that bill. My only question with taking Holtz is that I'm even higher on the overall potential of Stutzle and Rossi.

As far as Drysdale goes, I agree with you again that the Devils need some prospect depth at RD, and lack any first-pairing type prospects there (unless you move Ty Smith to the right side, where he's primarily played in Spokane). But the Devils also lack blue-chip scoring forwards outside of perhaps Boqvist, so I think the Devils should simply draft the player they think is the best overall prospect at #6. For me that would be a choice between Stutzle/Rossi, were they available.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Theoretically, if ALL of these players are still on the board at #6, I'd take Drysdale -> Stutzle -> Rossi. But I don't think Drysdale or Stutzle have a prayer at still being there.

I think Rossi is probably the guy we should be targeting. I could be convinced into taking Holtz, Perfetti, or Raymond.

Drysdale could be there. I think Stutzle is a slim chance, but that chance exists. Again, it's very close between 3-8, and the number of configurations different teams are going to rank these kids in will be staggering. And that's not even taking into account that Lundell and Sanderson will certainly be in some teams' top 8s.

Reactions: My3Sons

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
@StevenToddIves Now that there’s more time on our hands, would you be so kind as to rank the top forward prospects for each of the following attribute categories, respectively?

Shot
Skating
Two-way acumen
Vision/Creativity
Compete Level
Physicality
Hands

If you could rank the prospects based on highest ceiling and highest floor, that would also be helpful. Lastly, if there is a prospect outside of “the elite 8” (sans Drysdale since he plays a different position) that you feel merits inclusion, feel free to list. IE- Quinn could be mentioned for his shot.

I think the attribute rankings could help those of us who are torn between these kids who are ranked so closely together.

Many thanks as always!!

PS: It looks like the consensus from my fellow Devils fans is similar to mine: Drysdale, Stutzle, Rossi and then a bit of separation with Holtz (though I would not be disappointed at all if he is the selection). I very much want one of these players at 6.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
@StevenToddIves Now that there’s more time on our hands, would you be so kind as to rank the top forward prospects for each of the following attribute categories, respectively?

Shot
Skating
Two-way acumen
Vision/Creativity
Compete Level
Physicality
Hands

If you could rank the prospects based on highest ceiling and highest floor, that would also be helpful. Lastly, if there is a prospect outside of “the elite 8” (sans Drysdale since he plays a different position) that you feel merits inclusion, feel free to list. IE- Quinn could be mentioned for his shot.

I think the attribute rankings could help those of us who are torn between these kids who are ranked so closely together.

Many thanks as always!!

PS: It looks like the consensus from my fellow Devils fans is similar to mine: Drysdale, Stutzle, Rossi and then a bit of separation with Holtz (though I would not be disappointed at all if he is the selection). I very much want one of these players at 6.

@StevenToddIves Because I like asking the tough questions, am restless and need to occupy my brain with something other than the depressing events in the world. I know this is a tough exercise. Thank you in advance!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad