Player Discussion Poll: Which Oiler Free Agents should they try to re-sign? (2022)

Which Oiler Free Agents should they try to re-sign?

• Total voters

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Found the 2019 thread.

The free agent list has improved dramatically since then.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Kane will likely score 40+ goals playing with McDrai

McLeod/Yamamoto/JP/Archibald/Turris/Sceviour/Brassard all combined likely won't hit 40 goals so even if they are all signed at league minimum... the better deal is obviously to go with Kane.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Man that Brassard trade can be added to the whole list of Holland give away picks for free moves, that one is as bad or worse than Green.

Kane and Kulak I'd like back, don;t care about the rest. Yamamoto and Puli are inconistent players and I'd happily let both go if it means we get a goalie upgrade or can keep kane.

Who would look good on the oilers is jake otteinger taken about 4 picks after yamo, but we do not like to risk taking goalies in the 1st round.

My plea to holland is to not give out 2 year or longer deals to non difference makers.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Kane has been the best fit with McD since Maroon other than Drai. Priority one Can we afford him?
Two-sign Kulak cuz Barrie will be gone(cap space) and fit better with youngsters ( also cheaper Alberta guy)
Three -McLeod- most upside and has no arbitration rights
Four- Do you have cap space after acquiring goaltender? If so, start negotiating with Yamo and Pulj based on affordability

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Man that Brassard trade can be added to the whole list of Holland give away picks for free moves, that one is as bad or worse than Green.

Kane and Kulak I'd like back, don;t care about the rest. Yamamoto and Puli are inconistent players and I'd happily let both go if it means we get a goalie upgrade or can keep kane.

Who would look good on the oilers is jake otteinger taken about 4 picks after yamo, but we do not like to risk taking goalies in the 1st round.

My plea to holland is to not give out 2 year or longer deals to non difference makers.

I feel like Brassard didnt want to be here. Was my initial reaction in his first interview. Fact that he never even played in the playoffs, probably confirms this. I feel like Holland just tossed out an email to all the GM's saying I want a player for 450k retained (or w/e). I will give a 4th round pick. And some GM's probably sent him a player and Holland/scouts picked the best player from a list they thought. I think it was all done last minute. I dont think Holland touched base with the agent to see if he wanted to be here (I dont know how common this is - at the trade deadline though).

On paper I dont think it was a bad deal. Brassard was having a decent year. He has a lot of experience (in the playoffs). So it made some sense. But I think the point here is that there is no point acquiring players that dont want to be here. That being said, not really sure why a veteran player like Brassard whos looking for a cup didnt want a chance to win a cup.

One of Hollands issues is that he constantly throws aways picks for nothing. It wouldnt be a big deal if he did things to recoup more picks, but he rarely does. While the Brassard deal, is kind of nothing on one hand, it has a compound effect over time. Its not good always going into the draft with 4-5 picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad