Player Discussion Poll: Which Oiler Free Agents should they try to re-sign? (2022)

Which Oiler Free Agents should they try to re-sign?

• Total voters

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Glad we have the very valuable voting input from some obsessive basement dweller that worries more about this team than the one they apparently cheer for. Rent free

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Yamo is on the verge of a breakout to the next level 60 points is very likely , a must sign imo

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I said the first 4 and Kane.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Sceviour, Archi, and Russell are signed later into free agency in lessor roles.

I also wonder if a guy like Russell ends up signing in Calgary. With their affiliate going to Calgary this year it might be a perfect fit for a guy that always wanted to stay in Alberta.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I held my nose and voted for Jesse. But it’s only for a one year show me deal or one year cut and run if he doesn’t.

Reactions: subnet

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I held my nose and voted for Jesse. But it’s only for a one year show me deal or one year cut and run if he doesn’t.
Part of me thinks they qualify him, but if things aren't going well they trade him before arbitration. Not sure what an arbitrator would give him, but the Oilers could be scared if he gets a pretty significant settlement and they can't cant walk away from it.

Reactions: brentashton

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
What makes you say that?
He'd play for a game or two when he was really needed, get creamed into the boards again, and then be lost for a month. Guy played 31 games and was never taken from the lineup due to poor play.

He's blocked more shots than any other human who ever walked this earth and is 35 years old. He has to be a bit banged up.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Top 4 choices. Not interested in Kane at 7M for a bunch of years. Damn good player, but I just don't trust him once the bag is secured. How quickly he either implodes off-ice or that becomes a Kevin Hayes level anchor is anyone's guess. 6M or less...or 3 years or less. Neither of those is realistic, so move on.

If one of Yam or Pool is traded, I would hope for a good return, IE - not f***ing Josh Anderson. Given Holland's track record of trades I'm not convinced that will happen so I would rather just resign the players.

If the above happens, then I would be able to get over it. Kulak is a must sign and Idk why he has less than 100% of votes. I would say to a slightly lesser extent, ditto for McLeod because we need speed and he should be very cheap.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Top 4 choices. Not interested in Kane at 7M for a bunch of years. Damn good player, but I just don't trust him once the bag is secured. How quickly he either implodes off-ice or that becomes a Kevin Hayes level anchor is anyone's guess. 6M or less...or 3 years or less. Neither of those is realistic, so move on.

If one of Yam or Pool is traded, I would hope for a good return, IE - not f***ing Josh Anderson. Given Holland's track record of trades I'm not convinced that will happen so I would rather just resign the players.

If the above happens, then I would be able to get over it. Kulak is a must sign and Idk why he has less than 100% of votes. I would say to a slightly lesser extent, ditto for McLeod because we need speed and he should be very cheap.
I voted Kulak but not sure really. If Keith retires 100% sign Kulak or better. If he doesn't retire we don't need Kulak as we have at least 2 LD that can be worked in on the bottom pairing in Nemo and Broberg.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I voted Kulak but not sure really. If Keith retires 100% sign Kulak or better. If he doesn't retire we don't need Kulak as we have at least 2 LD that can be worked in on the bottom pairing in Nemo and Broberg.
My reservation with this is that it invites too much risk. IIRC, our coach liked running and 11-7 even when Nurse was healthy, so that kind of leaves us always having one of Bro or Nemo in, if you get rid of Kulak then they are both in. On top of that, if someone gets injured you are now running Bro, Nemo, and Sami. You start to run out of ice time to shelter these guys very quick when they permeate half your D corps.

Also, we should be able to get Kulak for cheap and more than 1 year fairly easily. If Keith doesn't retire this year, he will be a UFA the following year and you will either need to bring him back for a cheap contract, or let him retire and find a replacement. It seems much easier to just sign that replacement today for the cheap contract and have him ready to assume the role in the future (unless Bro explodes), rather than risk an emergency search next summer and getting some other player. We already know what Kulak is, no reason to force ourselves to experiment next year on a different UFA.

Laslty, while it is the sunk cost fallacy - we need to stop trading for players and letting them walk. Otherwise, stand pat and keep the picks. We have wasted a few assets already in the Brassard and AA trades. If you trust the pro-scouting enough to trade for the player, which we did, and you are able to integrate them into your lineup well, which we also did - then just pull the trigger and lock the player up.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He'd play for a game or two when he was really needed, get creamed into the boards again, and then be lost for a month. Guy played 31 games and was never taken from the lineup due to poor play.

He's blocked more shots than any other human who ever walked this earth and is 35 years old. He has to be a bit banged up.
He was healthy scratched a lot this year. Especially after the deadline when they picked up Kulak.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Part of me thinks they qualify him, but if things aren't going well they trade him before arbitration. Not sure what an arbitrator would give him, but the Oilers could be scared if he gets a pretty significant settlement and they can't cant walk away from it.
I wouldn't be worried about arbitration.

You can just trade him if he gets too much. Any team that wants to trade for him won't be worried about arbitration, so the market shouldn't change from before to after arbitration.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
My reservation with this is that it invites too much risk. IIRC, our coach liked running and 11-7 even when Nurse was healthy, so that kind of leaves us always having one of Bro or Nemo in, if you get rid of Kulak then they are both in. On top of that, if someone gets injured you are now running Bro, Nemo, and Sami. You start to run out of ice time to shelter these guys very quick when they permeate half your D corps.

Also, we should be able to get Kulak for cheap and more than 1 year fairly easily. If Keith doesn't retire this year, he will be a UFA the following year and you will either need to bring him back for a cheap contract, or let him retire and find a replacement. It seems much easier to just sign that replacement today for the cheap contract and have him ready to assume the role in the future (unless Bro explodes), rather than risk an emergency search next summer and getting some other player. We already know what Kulak is, no reason to force ourselves to experiment next year on a different UFA.

Laslty, while it is the sunk cost fallacy - we need to stop trading for players and letting them walk. Otherwise, stand pat and keep the picks. We have wasted a few assets already in the Brassard and AA trades. If you trust the pro-scouting enough to trade for the player, which we did, and you are able to integrate them into your lineup well, which we also did - then just pull the trigger and lock the player up.
Good points, I agree. Should we trade Barrie for a more shutdown guy for the right side?

Reactions: MessierII

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
McLeod, Yamamoto and Kulak seem obvious to me.

Kane should be a priority. I still think the team has to be careful on the contract though.

I think the whole pick between Yamamoto and JP is rubbish honestly. I think the team can pick both. That being said if theres a deal out there for JP that makes sense, where the Oilers get a similar type of talent, I am fine with it. But if we trade him for nothing, I wont be impressed.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
McLeod, Yamamoto and Kulak seem obvious to me.

Kane should be a priority. I still think the team has to be careful on the contract though.

I think the whole pick between Yamamoto and JP is rubbish honestly. I think the team can pick both. That being said if theres a deal out there for JP that makes sense, where the Oilers get a similar type of talent, I am fine with it. But if we trade him for nothing, I wont be impressed.
It's always been rubbish. It's never been about Puljujarvi vs Yamamoto you keep both and get rid of millstones like Kassian/Keith, Foegele too. But Ken Holland unironically believes those are positive value contracts.

Reactions: FlameChampion

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I'm OK with trading Yamamoto and Puljujarvi. Not for free but change to something playoff worthy.
Take Kane over the pair of them any day.

The question is weirdly asked, doesnt really catch the real split in fans opinions.

Shoulf we resign all of th3m? Of course ypu should. This famn squad reached the conf. Finals, where three of them where ln track for historoc performances statwise!

The real question is, in wich priority should we resign them, who is important to fill in before the cap.
And wich are you good for trading for other assets.

My priority:
Resign
1.a Kane - the obvious - has the tools that fills all blanks in oilers
1.b Kulak - Just the D oilers need for steadyness. And more realistic to happ3n than Kane
2. MacLeod
3 Yamamoto
4 Puljujärvi

Puljujärvi is in a vacuum a better player, but a lot is also signs of potential never able to reach. Keep or trade. If a good deal comes on the table - jump the gun. Otherwisw keep. Youngsters with over 200 NHL games under his belt has his worth.

Sceviour I think had a solid season as a sub. A Okish defensive responsiblebforward.

No one talks about Benson, strangely enough, and that tells a lot...
Could be resigned to give him a last rope, maybe a pest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad