• Dylan Cozens

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Casey Mittelstadt

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
We have the futures assets to make trades without trading away our high potential young NHLers.

Power, Dahlin, Samuelsson, Thompson, Cozens, Mitts, Quinn, and Peterka can all stay

Peterka needs to start showing that he's more than speed and a shot. Right at this moment, he's my #1 piece of trade bait to upgrade that 2nd pair RHD spot.

Reactions: Jacob582

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Since I had to pick one I picked Mittelstadt. There is no trade that makes sense though. You develop a player so you can trade him and what? Get younger? Move another kid into his spot? Trade him for more futures? A team looking to acquire him isn’t going to give a hockey trade. Adams is completely incapable of finding NHL players or moving futures for needs. What is the trade that makes sense?

A team that doesn’t score enough trading their leading scorer for a grinder and a pick? Sounds like a disaster.

This past offseason on the main boards, I had proposed Mitts for Carlo, and Bruins fans didn’t have a problem with that.

I personally don’t care who gets traded, but that should be the type of trade the team should look into.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Peterka needs to start showing that he's more than speed and a shot. Right at this moment, he's my #1 piece of trade bait to upgrade that 2nd pair RHD spot.

He just turned 22 last week, so I still think he’s early in his development and has a little while to show a more complete game.

Anyone’s fair game for a hockey trade, but I’d rather trade prospects than Peterka

Reactions: Vito_81 and Irie

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
It is Thompson for me.

1.) He likely has the most value and would have the best return.

2.) He is the highest skilled of the group, but also the least well rounded. He can create offense out of nothing, but does not elevate his linemates the way I think a competitive team needs their #1 center to, and like others have pointed out, he is the most lost defensively of the group.

3.) He is too easy to shut down. Once the playoffs eventually come, and the checking is much tighter, I do not envision Thompson being effective playing the way he currently does. He requires space or catching the D flat-footed off of broken plays to do his magic. In the postseason, teams will be likely to shadow him with a defensively strong forward, and I don't think he can overcome that.

Losing Tage would hurt. He is a competitive guy and loves being in Buffalo, which would be hard to give up, but if the right deal came along, I think the team may be better off for it. If you could package him with something else for a more balanced line driving center, you may lose some goals, but I think you come out ahead. 6'7" goal scoring centers on decent contracts have unicorn value, so maybe some GM bites out there. If Adams could somehow pull off some magic and parlay him into a smaller, better rounded player that is having a bit of a down season (like Suzuki), then you could re-sign Mitts and move Cozens to the 3rd line or wing and the team would be set for a long time. Unfortunately, the upgrades on Tage are going to be nearly untouchable from other teams, so the add would probably have to be substantial.... honest question, is O'Connell GMing these days? :huh:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The answer to this starts with whether Casey will extend before TDL. Right now he has a year of team control and two playoff runs. His value only goes down unsigned.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Get rid off the coaching staff and see what you can get out of them with someone better

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Get rid off the coaching staff and see what you can get out of them with someone better
This is the obvious correct answer

But they don‘t do obvious correct things so we are left choosing who is the next lucky good player handed to another team

Reactions: Faceboner

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
#1, don't trade a player during a down year.
#2, sell high after a good year.
#3 good luck trading a 7 year contract

Cozens has a lot more to offer than what he is showing. We know Tage can be a force when he is at his game. Mitts plays a good all around game, but is not a dynamic threat.

Cozens will not be traded with his performance.
Tage is our #1C who has had some issues since his injury. He will not be moved.
Mitts can be moved and trading a 2C during trade deadline with resign potential will be a ton of value.

Has to be Mitts

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm intrigued by this, but I think it's probably more of a function of 'who is available' rather than an obvious choice.

You shouldn't be trading any of these for a bundle of futures, with the possible exception of Mittelstadt if he simply isn't interested in signing and that is your best ROI.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It all depends on what the offers are on each one.

I doubt another GM makes an offer that is worth moving on from any of the three, though.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I would trade Cozens to RW to begin to unf*** his game. I would break up the happy funtime daycare line of Peterka-Cozens-Quinn forever more. But I wouldn't trade any of the three.
Im surprised Granato is sticking with that line. I know there's 'good vibes'. The kids said last year they 'could play together for a long time', but there were so many times last year they were terrible. Is it similar this year? If that's the case, Granato is being a fun Uncle rather than coaching to win in this league.

I agree with your sentiment. I'll add to it- There are a few young roster players (Peterka and Krebs), a wealth of prospects, and draft picks at KAs disposal to upgrade this team and shift the culture.

We NEED harder players to play against and a new coach. If that doesnt do the trick, then I'd start trading core players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Thompson reminds me of Pierre Turgeon who we traded for a real competitor who made an instantaneous difference.

You mean the player (LaFontaine) who we had a better record when he was out of the lineup than we had with him in the lineup?

LaFontaine, while beloved, did not make a difference in terms of wins and losses

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I would turn the coaching staff over and/or move Cozens to RW before trying to trade anybody. If it came to it though, I'm trading Cozens. TT, when he's on, is more dangerous and not worse than Cozens in the other parts of the ice. Mitts has a contract coming up but that shouldn't be why he gets traded, when he's actually the most well rounded C of the three.

Adding to @Chainshot, for now I would go with -

Benson/Skinner - Thompson - Tuch
Quinn - Mitts - Peterka/Benson
Greenway - Krebs - Cozens
Robinson - Girgensons - Okposo

When Skinner returns, Peterka might need a sit.
Not bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad