Boston Bruins Poll... which area do you want to improve?

Go for a scoring winger or a scoring left shot dman

• Total voters

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't think Granlund costs anywhere close to that much. I think if a 1 year $6M contract was available to either of them, they'd already have signed. Just look at Toffoli. Evolving Wild is usually spot on with their contract projections. They had him at $6M/5 years. He had to settle for almost $2M less and only 4 years. Guys like Hoffman and Granlund are sitting around hoping that a miracle happens and the market recovers, but I don't think that happens. There's just not much money available and the teams that have it are the poorer teams in the league, so they're not going to want to spend even though they have the space.

Sure, the money will probably be less, but again, his last contract was $6.3 mill with a cap hit of $5.75 mill. While it may likely drop, I don't think he's going to be signing a $3 mill per yr deal. Players don't typically like to go backwards. You give TT as an example, but his cap hit was $4.6, and it only dropped to $4.25 per with his new deal. I get you want to talk about overall deal size and term, but I'm looking at the cap impact as this team doesn't have huge dollars to spend with their own RFAs to sign. If it came to giving Granlund a deal that's on par with something that Hoffman is getting, I take Hoffman because of the consistency.

Reactions: Kegs and JOKER 192

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I don't think Granlund costs anywhere close to that much. I think if a 1 year $6M contract was available to either of them, they'd already have signed. Just look at Toffoli. Evolving Wild is usually spot on with their contract projections. They had him at $6M/5 years. He had to settle for almost $2M less and only 4 years. Guys like Hoffman and Granlund are sitting around hoping that a miracle happens and the market recovers, but I don't think that happens. There's just not much money available and the teams that have it are the poorer teams in the league, so they're not going to want to spend even though they have the space.
If they pay granlund 6 mil he will for sure be the next whipping boy.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Think trade. With the cap space the Bruins have whether they acquire a forward or a D there is gonna be a hole left that hasn't been attended to.

Through trade they can fix both. Not an easy task but that's the only way they can fix both. They need to add one forward with scoring and one D with a whole lot of snarl.

Can't go into the season with Mac and Gryz as your 1st pairing. This ain't the NCAA this is the NHL that won't work here.

very rarely does a team move a top 4 d in a trade.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Sure, the money will probably be less, but again, his last contract was $6.3 mill with a cap hit of $5.75 mill. While it may likely drop, I don't think he's going to be signing a $3 mill per yr deal. Players don't typically like to go backwards. You give TT as an example, but his cap hit was $4.6, and it only dropped to $4.25 per with his new deal. I get you want to talk about overall deal size and term, but I'm looking at the cap impact as this team doesn't have huge dollars to spend with their own RFAs to sign. If it came to giving Granlund a deal that's on par with something that Hoffman is getting, I take Hoffman because of the consistency.

I think you have to throw all of the rules out this year for money. Guys are going to have to either accept these low deals or just not play. Maybe they'll take the second option, but that doesn't seem likely. As I said, if someone was offering anywhere close to his current number, he'd have already signed.

Take Craig Smith. He took a deal where the AAV was 73% of his last one. Toffoli only dropped $350k, but everyone was expecting him to get $6M in a pre-COVID world, so that's 71% of predicted.

Granlund isn't getting $6 million. It's just not happening.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I think you have to throw all of the rules out this year for money. Guys are going to have to either accept these low deals or just not play. Maybe they'll take the second option, but that doesn't seem likely. As I said, if someone was offering anywhere close to his current number, he'd have already signed.

Take Craig Smith. He took a deal where the AAV was 73% of his last one. Toffoli only dropped $350k, but everyone was expecting him to get $6M in a pre-COVID world, so that's 71% of predicted.

Granlund at 3-4 would be dope

Reactions: LSCII

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Representing himself. This would be franchise #6. Produces in low key situations.

He had a very very good start to the season and then fell off the f***ing map and cliff. A man who had nearly 20 goals through the first 30 or so games of the season ended with 23.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Think trade. With the cap space the Bruins have whether they acquire a forward or a D there is gonna be a hole left that hasn't been attended to.

Through trade they can fix both. Not an easy task but that's the only way they can fix both. They need to add one forward with scoring and one D with a whole lot of snarl.

Can't go into the season with Mac and Gryz as your 1st pairing. This ain't the NCAA this is the NHL that won't work here.
I mean, do we want Don Sweeney to go full Dombrowski here and load it all up for the remainder of Bergeron's contract and then turn the team into an apocalyptic wasteland until we get enough lottery picks to form a new competitive core? Because we already have a bad prospect pool from trades and shitty drafting. If we trade another future 1st round pick or one of the few potential prospects we have, the 2023-2028 Bruins are going to be Ottawaesque.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Defense. Without Gryz signed your best left defenseman on roster in John Moore.

The forward group as it stands is good enough to be successful in the upcoming regular season and a deadline deal can be made to add to the group for a run. I don’t think they need to be in a rush to add here. Do I want another piece? Yes, but I do think they can get by with this for now.

The defense however is in shambles on the left side and needs to be addressed. That is where my effort would go at this time.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I don't think Granlund is going to get what he was making before, but even if you do 75% of it, it's more than I'd pay for a guy that doesn't consistently break 20 goals. Would you pay 4.75 to 5 mill for him or a little more for Hoffman?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Granlund at 3-4 would be dope

Sure it would and I'd pay that if I were Sweeney in a heartbeat. But even with only getting 75 percent of his last deal it ends up being nearly 5 mill. For that, I'd throw a little more at Hoffman.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Sure it would and I'd pay that if I were Sweeney in a heartbeat. But even with only getting 75 percent of his last deal it ends up being nearly 5 mill. For that, I'd throw a little more at Hoffman.
I’d like Hoffman too. The issue is when a bottom feeder offers him 7 Because they are grasping at straws and have cap space. Hard to compete. And why would u want to? Free agents are over rated mostly. They almost always get massive salary cap crippling contracts. And if not then it’s because they don’t move the needle enough to matter. Drafting is key basically. Bruins seem good at drafting d. Which is the saving grace. But I’d like to see more scouts added. Although maybe the way they draft is why when They do find high end talent he is good in all three zones.

Reactions: LSCII

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I mean, do we want Don Sweeney to go full Dombrowski here and load it all up for the remainder of Bergeron's contract and then turn the team into an apocalyptic wasteland until we get enough lottery picks to form a new competitive core? Because we already have a bad prospect pool from trades and shitty drafting. If we trade another future 1st round pick or one of the few potential prospects we have, the 2023-2028 Bruins are going to be Ottawaesque.

Oh for sure, that's a consideration but if you don't do that you gotta tear it all down. Your not gonna win with that D in the PO's unless by some miracle Zboril or Vaak can step up and surprise us all . What are the odds of that. No use fixing the offense and leaving the D the way it is. No way you can do both with the remaining cap space and signing the RFA's. Nobody is taking Moore off your hands unless you take back a similar contract or give up a draft pick. Hopefully you can package something that doesn't involve picks but the way this team drafts does it really matter?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad