Boston Bruins Poll... which area do you want to improve?

Go for a scoring winger or a scoring left shot dman

• Total voters

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I don't see any D still on the market that will make an impact like a Hoffman/Dadonov would make for us on the wing. Unless we reopen OEL discussions, which will cost a ton when our prospect pool is already shallow and our cap flexibility is already tight.

Reactions: LSCII

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
They have a ton of young dmen in the pipeline, ready to step in when needed. They don't have many scoring options. Wing all day long, and twice on Sunday.

Easily a winger.

Coma Don looked foolish not closing the no risk 8M/1y deal with Hall.

If the rumored 6M/1y that Hoffman is looking for is true and he doesn’t close the deal, that will be another strike on his incompetence.

In the end, could also be via trade or Dadonov but a top scoring F needs to be added to this team.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
My votes for not winger or d. Its to improve the managerial decisions of the gm, presdient, owner, etc when it comes to roster building in the offseason

Reactions: JOKER 192

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Either a defenseman or left wing, as long as they average around a point a game.
A ppg! Ha ya let’s get us a couple 80+ guys. One winger and one d. And let’s get it done under 11 mil. Also lets make sure one of them is a defense! Then we can plan the parade

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
The Bruins' boat is riding lower in the water than I would like. I'd like to be able to patch all the holes – add a good scoring winger AND and solid D who's good in the offensive zone, too. But as it stands, the stern of the boat is leaking worse than the bow.

I think it's a matter of what's more likely:
1) Getting scoring from Kase, DeBrusk, Smith, Stud
2) Getting good D and scoring from Lauzon, Zboril, Vak, etc.

On 1:
I don't expect Kase to continue with goose eggs. He had a brief time to acclimate, and then we had the bubble-offs. Smith will help, whether he's on Line 3 or 2. Jake may very well become more consistent and have a better season. If Studnicka also has a good season, there's a certain likelihood that scoring may not be the problem we think it'll be. (Caveat: A lot depends on how Pasta and Marchand are after their surgeries. Hopefully no ill effects.)

On 2:
Let's not forget that Krug was a big part of our production. We'll miss that. And with Chara another year older, if he's here at all, that's a big hole in points coming from the D. I don't see any of the young bubble D – Lauzon, Zboril, Vak – filling that void, at least not this season - maybe never. We need to add solid D AND point production from the left top 4 D, and we need it now.

So I think, while it's not a certitude, it's more likely that we'll see a rebound in secondary scoring, than we'll see a sudden miraculous growth in one of our young D.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Call me crazy, but I think if we split up both the 1st line and the Krejci/Debrusk duo, you could really do well with the forward group. While I think it'd be fun to see how the youngins do on LD, it's not practical to expect them to step in and for us to also be a cup winner. Missing out on a Nate Schmidt HURT.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I'd prefer a winger but I'm equally wary about Gryz or Chara on the first pairing. I'd really like a solid 2011 Seidenberg-esque #2 for McAvoy. A shame Carlo plays right...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I’d take Granlund as well but Duclair does nothing for me. Seems like a headcase.

See, I'm not sold on Granlund. Dude was pulling in a hefty cap hit and overall salary for a player that hasn't consistently broken the 20 goal mark in his career. If I'm Sweeney and it's a question of paying Hoffman or Granlund $6 mill per, I'd go Hoff all day long. He's consistently produced to a far higher degree than Granlund.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
See, I'm not sold on Granlund. Dude was pulling in a hefty cap hit and overall salary for a player that hasn't consistently broken the 20 goal mark in his career. If I'm Sweeney and it's a question of paying Hoffman or Granlund $6 mill per, I'd go Hoff all day long. He's consistently produced to a far higher degree than Granlund.

I don't think Granlund costs anywhere close to that much. I think if a 1 year $6M contract was available to either of them, they'd already have signed. Just look at Toffoli. Evolving Wild is usually spot on with their contract projections. They had him at $6M/5 years. He had to settle for almost $2M less and only 4 years. Guys like Hoffman and Granlund are sitting around hoping that a miracle happens and the market recovers, but I don't think that happens. There's just not much money available and the teams that have it are the poorer teams in the league, so they're not going to want to spend even though they have the space.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
When a team wins the Presidents trophy they are all set for the regular season. So nothing to fix here.

When a team get's embarrassed for the second time in 3 years by the same team in the PO's , you have to fix the problem.

While many here feel the problem is secondary scoring which could use some help. I think the bigger problem is on D.

Plain and simple in the PO's this D gets over run by almost every team except Carolina for some reason. Constantly being manhandled by a team that aren't even particularly big or tough for that matter at the forward position. Fact is your probably gonna have to beat Tampa for the next little while and your not going to do it when your toughest D man is Cliffy. Krug tried, Grizz didn't bother, Chara was to slow, Carlo to soft, Lauzon was to green that leaves Mac. Good luck with that D, it's not a PO's D, it just isn't, not even close.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I don't see any D still on the market that will make an impact like a Hoffman/Dadonov would make for us on the wing. Unless we reopen OEL discussions, which will cost a ton when our prospect pool is already shallow and our cap flexibility is already tight.

Think trade. With the cap space the Bruins have whether they acquire a forward or a D there is gonna be a hole left that hasn't been attended to.

Through trade they can fix both. Not an easy task but that's the only way they can fix both. They need to add one forward with scoring and one D with a whole lot of snarl.

Can't go into the season with Mac and Gryz as your 1st pairing. This ain't the NCAA this is the NHL that won't work here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->