• Playoffs

• Tank

Results are only viewable after voting.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I don't want them to lose on purpose, but I want them to get the best pick

:dunno:

Players aren't complicit in tanking as far as artifically lowering their performance on the ice to lose. It's up to coaching/FO to sit scratch better players and/or put them in situations they will not excel in.

So, i guess it's semantics. Is putting players in situations they probably won't excel in, even if they are legitmately trying/playing hard, losing on purpose?

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Mixed emotions here. I want a top pick but it's hard to root for losses. I'd hate the Islanders to beat us to the bottom and have them get a chance at the lottery.
Missing our team in the playoffs would suck too.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Playoffs
I don’t believe you should ever be better off losing/not trying.
I voted "playoffs" in this poll, so obviously I'm rooting for the team.

I agree no team should EVER intentionally try to lose, unless it's some bizarre circumstance where they need to lose in order to make the playoffs or something.

I do not agree, however, that no one is ever better off in losing. I think it's pretty clear that the Rangers as an organization, from a talent standpoint and ultimately a success standpoint, would be better off with a lottery pick rather than a likely first-round playoff exit. Unless you truly believe that there's an actual, legitimate chance that the Rangers can win the Cup this season, then I don't know how you could argue that making the playoffs is better for the team than acquiring a valuable draft pick and potential impact player.

And again, I'm a guy who voted "playoffs." Mostly because it makes me feel better. :laugh:

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Playoffs is fun, but it`ll be difficult based on strength differences - players and the coaching staff will never tank. We are actually a better team when Lias is called up as well concerning our current depth.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Players aren't complicit in tanking as far as artifically lowering their performance on the ice to lose. It's up to coaching/FO to sit scratch better players and/or put them in situations they will not excel in.

So, i guess it's semantics. Is putting players in situations they probably won't excel in, even if they are legitmately trying/playing hard, losing on purpose?
Seems like a good way to make our top pick not want to sign here. And probably get sued by the NHLPA.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Playoffs is fun, but it`ll be difficult based on strength differences - players and the coaching staff will never tank. We are actually a better team when Lias is called up as well concerning our current depth.
Oh... I can't wait to see Lias up here.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
inb4 "everyone who wants to make the playoffs is delusional and doesn't really care about the team's future"

;)

In all honesty, I think we all know it would be best to lose out. Kind of hard to argue against that. Even if we somehow were able to sneak into the playoffs, we'd almost certainly get smashed in round one. We allow approximately 83 shots per game and our scoring is erratic. Rob O'Gara is on the team.

At the same time, playoff ****ing hockey. Count me in. :)

This post sums it up perfectly. As I have stated before, passion and logic dont mix well with sports fandom.

With that said, win out! f***ing playoffs baby!

Reactions: nyr2k2

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It seems like there is a disconnect between the idea of "tanking" and "not trying/putting out 100% effort"

Let me clear this up: Players and coaches don't tank. They try, every game, to do what they think is best for winning. Whether we think what they do is right or wrong doesn't matter.

People who cheer for the tank generally are not cheering for the players to pack it in every game.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
They should have rented/self rented at the deadline if they were going to make the playoffs.

I kid, but if they do happen to make the playoffs I hope it encourages management to put less stock into renting/self renting at future deadlines.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It seems like there is a disconnect between the idea of "tanking" and "not trying/putting out 100% effort"

Let me clear this up: Players and coaches don't tank. They try, every game, to do what they think is best for winning. Whether we think what they do is right or wrong doesn't matter.

People who cheer for the tank generally are not cheering for the players to pack it in every game.
I understand what you're saying, but how do you reconcile rooting for the players and coaches to give it their all and try to win, and then at the same time be glad when they fail? It just seems like a contradiction as a fan. And I'm someone who gets why it's better if we lose.

I kinda look at it as, I root for the team to win. If they do, cool, I'm happy because I'm a stupid fan and I get to see my team play a few more (likely ugly) games. If they lose the rest of their games, okay. We end up with a better pick, so that's good. I can't root for losses though. If it gets to the point where we have to root for losses, I'll just stop watching for the year. Can't root for my boys to lose. Unless it's the Jets; f*** the Jets.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I understand what you're saying, but how do you reconcile rooting for the players and coaches to give it their all and try to win, and then at the same time be glad when they fail? It just seems like a contradiction as a fan. And I'm someone who gets why it's better if we lose.

I kinda look at it as, I root for the team to win. If they do, cool, I'm happy because I'm a stupid fan and I get to see my team play a few more (likely ugly) games. If they lose the rest of their games, okay. We end up with a better pick, so that's good. I can't root for losses though. If it gets to the point where we have to root for losses, I'll just stop watching for the year. Can't root for my boys to lose. Unless it's the Jets; **** the Jets.
Basically agree with this.

I'm still happy when we score, and annoyed when someone does something stupid and it goes in our net. If they lose, fine. If they win, fine. But there's no chance in hell I'm sitting in front of the TV hoping Laine and Wheeler combine for 5 in a dominating performance.

I want the Rangers to fire off 32 straight wins starting tonight. But if they don't, well, I get it.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'm not sure how well these options work together. We're already just about 'tanking as much as possible', whether we sneak into the playoffs or not, and I think the majority of us are at least okay with that.

Do I hope that we make the playoffs instead of lose a bunch of games? Yes.
Am I fine with losing and do I constantly check the standings to see how low we could potentially slip? Yes.

Also, I think that we under-value the benefit of playoff experience and a winning culture for our young guys to develop in.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

I kinda look at it as, I root for the team to win. If they do, cool, I'm happy because I'm a stupid fan and I get to see my team play a few more (likely ugly) games. If they lose the rest of their games, okay. We end up with a better pick, so that's good. I can't root for losses though. If it gets to the point where we have to root for losses, I'll just stop watching for the year. Can't root for my boys to lose. Unless it's the Jets; **** the Jets.
This is describing the same train of thought.

I'm not arguing for actively rooting to tank. I go the same route as you: Root to win, but totally chill with losing.

Reactions: nyr2k2

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I'm not going to root for them to lose but if they do then it's whatever. Part of the process.

If they win that means we are seeing some good signs for the future (Pionk, Skjei, Gilmour, Tony D, Spooner, Namestnikov and Buch in particular)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This is describing the same train of thought.

I'm not arguing for actively rooting to tank. I go the same route as you: Root to win, but totally chill with losing.
Okay, that's fair. I know some people will actively root for losses. Was hoping someone could explain that to me (although I guess I get it with the Jets; I'm always rooting against them because they f***ing suck and are a f***ing embarrassment).

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
But there's no chance in hell I'm sitting in front of the TV hoping Laine and Wheeler combine for 5 in a dominating performance.

Damn right, not when you're playing them in fantasy. Now, Scheifele OTOH....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad