Poll: Predict the #6 pick - 2019 Draft

What player will we draft at #6?

• Total voters

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Why do you say that though? It's very, very hard to find anyone that is predicting Turcotte to go top-5. I can see Podkolzin dropping, but to outside the top 5 might be a stretch.

This kinda reminds me of folks on this board being so sure than Boqvist wouldn't be available to us at #6 last year. Sure, Turcotte could go early, but that means either Cozens or Byram will be there.
He’s third on my personal ranking. I love his overall game and reminds me of a Toews lite. Some will mention Larkin but there are some differences and Toews seems like a better stylistic comp. If I recall correctly he also produces at a higher rate against NCAA competition than his peers. I don’t recall everyone raving about Boqvist like that last year unless you are mixing Hughes up with him. This is literally speculation on my part and yours and we won’t know until the draft occurs.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I would have to argue Dach is a very good defensive player. Dach makes plays defensively using his brains reading plays, Cozen works hard and uses every bit of his size and reach to strip guys from the puck. Cozens also makes a lot of bad plays and turns the puck over. Then again, every shift-by-shift of Cozens I have seen he doesn't have the puck much to begin with. However, he is pretty effective at driving the net when he gets the opportunity and has a great shot to go with it.

Better leader? Have you been in the locker room? Lets not even try to sit here and pretend either of us can have an educated debate on who is the better leader.

Looking back at the last 10 years and at picks 3-10, power forward type wingers 6'3" and above have a scary low success rate transitioning into the NHL as top six players. Playmaking centers 6'3" and above have transitioned respectably well.

Personally, I don't want either player. But I would take the chance on Dach depending on what is available.
Cozens does give up the puck more often but that's because he makes attempts to dangle through defenders and score. So, it's not like he has trouble staying on the puck. It's more a result of him being more apt to drive the net, and where that is concerned he's pretty successful at it.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Cozens does give up the puck more often but that's because he makes attempts to dangle through defenders and score. So, it's not like he has trouble staying on the puck. It's more a result of him being more apt to drive the net, and where that is concerned he's pretty successful at it.

I actually didn't find him to give up the puck very often when he drives the net. Nothing at a rate that alarmed me anyways. Sometimes you got to try and make things happen and driving to the net isn't the worst place or reason to turn the puck over. It was the horrible decision making on pass attempts that caught my attention. I just can't find much to indicate he can contribute on a shift-to-shift basis outside of his couple or so chances per game. I'm just talking offensively right now. To me in this league, I want guys who can skate the puck, can play with the puck, maintain possession, get around the ice well, etc.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I actually didn't find him to give up the puck very often when he drives the net. Nothing at a rate that alarmed me anyways. Sometimes you got to try and make things happen and driving to the net isn't the worst place or reason to turn the puck over. It was the horrible decision making on pass attempts that caught my attention. I just can't find much to indicate he can contribute on a shift-to-shift basis outside of his couple or so chances per game. I'm just talking offensively right now. To me in this league, I want guys who can skate the puck, can play with the puck, maintain possession, get around the ice well, etc.
I never heard anyone else knock his decision making. I think that the one area you named where he isn't preferable to Dach is with playing the puck.

Maybe the better question here is which of Dach, Cozens, Krebs, and Zegras and will Yzerman prefer. I'm not sure Stevie wouldn't prefer Krebs.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I never heard anyone else knock his decision making. I think that the one area you named where he isn't preferable to Dach is with playing the puck.

Maybe the better question here is which of Dach, Cozens, Krebs, and Zegras and will Yzerman prefer. I'm not sure Stevie wouldn't prefer Krebs.

We can only hope its Yzerman who is making that decision! We will see soon enough I guess..

Just trying to spark some actual in depth debate on these players is all.

Reactions: jkutswings

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
April 18 in Sweden will start u18 tournament, it will effect mock draft

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Well see after the u18 but I think it will end up one of the WHLers and I'll be happy with any of them. A couple big Canadian, right handed centers or a pretty tough/skilled Canadian dman. I think theres a chance that its Turcotte as well which would be fine but I also think hes getting a bit overhyped on HF. I would guess at least 2 of those 4 will be available when the wings pick

Reactions: lilidk

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
We can only hope its Yzerman who is making that decision! We will see soon enough I guess..

Just trying to spark some actual in depth debate on these players is all.

Does Yzerman's contract end before the draft? Or do you think there will be shenanigans afoot?

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I think management will see the need for defense and go Byram, unless Podkolzin falls and they have him high on their board. I think their board looks something like this.

Hughes
Kakko
Podkolzin
Byram
Dach
Cozens
Turcotte
Zegras

Just based on who Draper has talked about and team need. Also our tendency to dip into the WHL.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Sounds like AA

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Voted for Turcotte, but it would be great to get Turcotte or Byram. I not sure either will be available at 6th.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I voted dach.

Because I do not believe 3. Podkolzin, 4. Bryam or 5. Cozens will slip to us. Obviously if they do, that's who we take.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I wonder how much right-handedness is valued by the org.

Could see that being a deciding factor if we are close on two players. We need some right-handed talent at forward without a doubt.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I think they'll take Dach and I will be ecstatic if they do. I'm a lot higher on him than most here I guess, I'd take him 3rd in this draft. I think his compete issues are quite overblown, and when he's on he's absolutely dominant, much more so than Cozens, and has franchise-altering potential. Dach has insane vision and IQ and silky smooth hands along with a terrific shot that he just doesn't use enough. That package of tools and toolbox along with his imposing frame is a recipe for a dominant Leon Draisaitl/Ryan Getzlaf style centre. He's not the fastest kid but his speed is definitely not an issue.

IMO he's the only player in this draft outside of Hughes/Kakko that has a shot at being a franchise centre. His upside is enormous. I think the Wings need to swing for the fences here.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
With that sample size, I would sooner label Podkolzin as TBD than BPA.

Maybe. Wings might label Broberg as the BPA at that point. I know that people who follow these kids a lot more than I do seem to view Podkolzin very highly, though. And if he makes it to pick 6, him being the Wings BPA wouldn't be surprising.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad