Poll: Predict the #6 pick - 2019 Draft

What player will we draft at #6?

• Total voters

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
0 votes for Krebs. 7 for Zegras. I find this interesting as these are the two 3-10 ranked prospects I am most intrigued by after Turcotte.
In my limited reading about prospects I have been led to believe that these players are similarly gifted talent wise (not stylistically, mind you). I am split between which one I feel I'd rather have but there seems to be a consensus here (albeit a minor one) that Zegras is our most likely pick.
I realize that either player might be a reach from where we are picking, but is this vote more about how the players fit with this team or does no one have a really high opinion on Krebs as a prospect?

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Why do you think they do?

If Chicago's selection comes down to who is local or not great for them. As silly as it seemed when the Wings may have been making this a factor, it would be equally foolish for Hawks management to take that same approach.

I am also curious, has anyone heard or read anything indicating this for Chicago or is it strictly opinions and gut feelings?

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
If Chicago's selection comes down to who is local or not great for them. As silly as it seemed when the Wings may have been making this a factor, it would be equally foolish for Hawks management to take that same approach.

I am also curious, has anyone heard or read anything indicating this for Chicago or is it strictly opinions and gut feelings?
Stuff like that seems to be written about every draft but I wouldn't pay attention to it. I don't think Chicago will have special interest in him because he is local. I do think his being local will make them more aware of him. If they want a center, stats like these are why they'll draft him:

Turcotte was the only guy on USNTDP Juniors to average 2 p/g besides Jack Hughes. Also, a year ago, Turcotte's p/g average was similar to what Auston Mathews and Jack Eichel averaged when they were the same age in USDP.

It could depend on his performance at the combine. He might be a little under the radar for some teams, but not for Chicago.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
0 votes for Krebs. 7 for Zegras. I find this interesting as these are the two 3-10 ranked prospects I am most intrigued by after Turcotte.
In my limited reading about prospects I have been led to believe that these players are similarly gifted talent wise (not stylistically, mind you). I am split between which one I feel I'd rather have but there seems to be a consensus here (albeit a minor one) that Zegras is our most likely pick.
I realize that either player might be a reach from where we are picking, but is this vote more about how the players fit with this team or does no one have a really high opinion on Krebs as a prospect?
The question was posed as "What player will we draft at #6?" If the question was "Who do you want the team to draft", then the answer would be different. I went with Podk because I think he'll drop and Holland will pick him up like he did with Zadina.

I would prefer Byram or Turcotte, if either are available.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
The question was posed as "What player will we draft at #6?" If the question was "Who do you want the team to draft", then the answer would be different. I went with Podk because I think he'll drop and Holland will pick him up like he did with Zadina.

I would prefer Byram or Turcotte, if either are available.

I know what the question was, I didn't feel that my question was too out of bounds to ask here. I am not going to start a new thread to ask what people see as the difference between two players on this poll.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I have zero answer for your question.

But, felt that I would mention, I picked Podkolzin because if he falls, I don’t see us passing on him. That being said, I have Zegras very high on my board, and he’d likely be my pick. Admittedly, I’m not the most educated on Krebs as a prospect, but I’m a real believer in Zegras’ talent.

Similar to Dach, they both have a skill set that is largely missing from our core, and that is a elite potential playmaker. I personally drop Dach because I question his ability to play at a tempo that is conducive to fitting in with the players we already have. Not to say Dach is slow, but rather he isn’t fast enough. Zegras will have no problem keeping the tempo, and his vision and hockey sense are both top notch. I think he would help the Wings broaden their offensive horizons by adding creativity to the mix that helps us create in set possessions in addition to on the rush. Whether it be on the wing or at the center position, I think he has really high upside, even though it may be more of a wait, or carries more risk.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
Zegras is my favorite for #6. A lot of the names being thrown around are going to be taken before six.

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Podkolzin
4. Turcotte
5. Dach
6. Zegras

Just based on the eye test, I'm not a huge fan of Byram. He doesn't seem elite in much other than point production. Not impressed by his size, defense, or decision making.

Reactions: hkydave04

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
colorado has girard, barrie, makar, zadorov, and timmins coming up. la could use defense but they could really use cozens or dach because they haven't been able to score for about 3 years now

They have Makar, yes, Byram would be a huge boon to this group.

LA just traded Muzzin, their blue line is a major organizational weakness.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Byram
Cozens
Podkolzin

I think this board is predicting Turcotte going too high out of self-defense. If he goes #3, to Chicago of all places, it would be a shock. Almost every outlet has him going outside of the top 5.

Chance are one of these players will be available for the Wings, and all three are great fits: Byram, Cozens or Turcotte.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I think this board is predicting Turcotte going too high out of self-defense. If he goes #3, to Chicago of all places, it would be a shock. Almost every outlet has him going outside of the top 5.

Chance are one of these players will be available for the Wings, and all three are great fits: Byram, Cozens or Turcotte.
Pretty sure Turcotte will be top 5 pick otherwise he would be a great pick up for us. Hard to really say what will happen at pick 3 but Turcotte reminds stylistically of Toews, great leadership reports, and happens to be from Chicago (not that GMs care).

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
LA could use a lot. Regardless, they're likely to draft BPA. Colorado's needs are a good bit easier to narrow down, but Colorado will likely draft the same way. If Podkolzin looks good, this is how I think it will go

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Podkolzin
4. Byram
5. Turcotte
6. Cozens
7. Dach
8. Krebs
9. Zegras

You could switch Byram and Turcotte with one another, but either way, I think they are both gone before the Wings.

If Podkolzin looks like more of a project than anticipated, this is what I think will happen:

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram/Turcotte
4. Turcotte/Byram
5. Podkolzin
6. Cozens
7. Dach
8. Krebs
9. Zegras

If it comes down to Cozens or Dach, I think the Wings will prefer the skating of Cozens for a better fit.

Reactions: hkydave04

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Zegras is my favorite for #6. A lot of the names being thrown around are going to be taken before six.

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Podkolzin
4. Turcotte
5. Dach
6. Zegras

Just based on the eye test, I'm not a huge fan of Byram. He doesn't seem elite in much other than point production. Not impressed by his size, defense, or decision making.

His skating is elite, he skates effortlessly. Its not that he just has speed but he can continuously fly around the ice, he is everywhere. Had to really make that clear because when I said Dach doesn't get around the ice well people took it for me claiming that he is a slow skater.

Byram tilts the ice, he always has the puck making plays. Nobody 3-10 plays with the puck more than he does. His decision making with the puck is great. Sometimes he jumps to early but he has the ability to get back fast. He is much better at choosing when to join the rush than say Quinn Hughes at this same stage. Defensively this kid is really good for a PMD his age. He sees the ice very well both offensively and defensively.

I'll be shocked if he falls to 6 though. Would be nice if we managed to atleast walk away with 4OA.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
LA could use a lot. Regardless, they're likely to draft BPA. Colorado's needs are a good bit easier to narrow down, but Colorado will likely draft the same way. If Podkolzin looks good, this is how I think it will go

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Podkolzin
4. Byram
5. Turcotte
6. Cozens
7. Dach
8. Krebs
9. Zegras

You could switch Byram and Turcotte with one another, but either way, I think they are both gone before the Wings.

If Podkolzin looks like more of a project than anticipated, this is what I think will happen:

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram/Turcotte
4. Turcotte/Byram
5. Podkolzin
6. Cozens
7. Dach
8. Krebs
9. Zegras

If it comes down to Cozens or Dach, I think the Wings will prefer the skating of Cozens for a better fit.

If the Wings had a choice between Dach or Cozens don't you think they would take the playmaking center (Dach) over the power forward winger (Cozens)? Or even the other playmaking center in Zegras that you project is still available.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Pretty sure Turcotte will be top 5 pick otherwise he would be a great pick up for us. Hard to really say what will happen at pick 3 but Turcotte reminds stylistically of Toews, great leadership reports, and happens to be from Chicago (not that GMs care).
Why do you say that though? It's very, very hard to find anyone that is predicting Turcotte to go top-5. I can see Podkolzin dropping, but to outside the top 5 might be a stretch.

This kinda reminds me of folks on this board being so sure than Boqvist wouldn't be available to us at #6 last year. Sure, Turcotte could go early, but that means either Cozens or Byram will be there.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
If the Wings had a choice between Dach or Cozens don't you think they would take the playmaking center (Dach) over the power forward winger (Cozens)? Or even the other playmaking center in Zegras that you project is still available.
I think they'd go with the better skater, harder worker, better leader, better defensive player. To me, that's Cozens/Turcotte over Dach/Zegras.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Why do you say that though? It's very, very hard to find anyone that is predicting Turcotte to go top-5. I can see Podkolzin dropping, but to outside the top 5 might be a stretch.

This kinda reminds me of folks on this board being so sure than Boqvist wouldn't be available to us at #6 last year. Sure, Turcotte could go early, but that means either Cozens or Byram will be there.

Does anyone have any shift-by-shifts on Turcotte? Because he is the only player I can't find enough on. I am getting a completely different opinion than most here. People are basically claiming he is a refined and a smart player who makes the right plays. I see him as an explosive offensive player who takes a lot of chances taking the puck into low percentage situations. He does it well at this stage, but I'm concerned a lot of his game will have to be adjusted at the NHL level or he will find himself sent down or getting limited ice time. I'm just not at all getting anything remotely close to Toews here.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Does anyone have any shift-by-shifts on Turcotte? Because he is the only player I can't find enough on. I am getting a completely different opinion than most here. People are basically claiming he is a refined and a smart player who makes the right plays. I see him as an explosive offensive player who takes a lot of chances taking the puck into low percentage situations. He does it well at this stage, but I'm concerned a lot of his game will have to be adjusted at the NHL level or he will find himself sent down or getting limited ice time. I'm just not at all getting anything remotely close to Toews here.
Turcotte shift by shift, yea, I don't see him lasting on board, he's either going to Chicago or Colorado:

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
If the Wings had a choice between Dach or Cozens don't you think they would take the playmaking center (Dach) over the power forward winger (Cozens)?
No I don't. I just think Cozens' tools are more useful all over the ice. He's more well-rounded it seems. Cozens is a faster, better skater, he can deek equally well, and probably plays a slightly more physical game than Dach. While Cozens may never be as good a passer as Dach will be, he can make plays. He also has developed his shot a lot more than Dach. There are just more dimensions to Cozens' game, I think.

I wouldn't be unhappy with Dach, but I guess he would need more development than Cozens. For guys who prefer Dach because he's slightly taller than Cozens, I think you'll be a tiny bit disappointed in his physicality. That's maybe another area with Dach we would have to try to develop besides his shooting.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I think they'd go with the better skater, harder worker, better leader, better defensive player. To me, that's Cozens/Turcotte over Dach/Zegras.

I would have to argue Dach is a very good defensive player. Dach makes plays defensively using his brains reading plays, Cozen works hard and uses every bit of his size and reach to strip guys from the puck. Cozens also makes a lot of bad plays and turns the puck over. Then again, every shift-by-shift of Cozens I have seen he doesn't have the puck much to begin with. However, he is pretty effective at driving the net when he gets the opportunity and has a great shot to go with it.

Better leader? Have you been in the locker room? Lets not even try to sit here and pretend either of us can have an educated debate on who is the better leader.

Looking back at the last 10 years and at picks 3-10, power forward type wingers 6'3" and above have a scary low success rate transitioning into the NHL as top six players. Playmaking centers 6'3" and above have transitioned respectably well.

Personally, I don't want either player. But I would take the chance on Dach depending on what is available.

No I don't. I just think Cozens' tools are more useful all over the ice. He's more well-rounded it seems. Cozens is a faster, better skater, he can deek equally well, and probably plays a slightly more physical game than Dach. While Cozens may never be as good a passer as Dach will be, he can make plays. He also has developed his shot a lot more than Dach. There are just more dimensions to Cozens' game, I think.

I wouldn't be unhappy with Dach, but I guess he would need more development than Cozens. For guys who prefer Dach because he's slightly taller than Cozens, I think you'll be a tiny bit disappointed in his physicality. That's maybe another area with Dach we would have to try to develop besides his shooting.

I think Cozens is probably the better deker and shot for sure. More physical as well. Dach relies more on his reach to keep the puck away from danger and open up lanes. Cozens drives through defenders to the net with a combo of his size and hands. That is pretty much the standard difference between a playmaking center and a power forward winger. See above as well.

Last edited:

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014

I have seen this shift-by-shift but obviously its not from this season and players grow so much in their draft years. I'm going to have to purchase from a paid site I know of who has some Turcotte film. Which I don't mind doing, but I have been able to find plenty of video this year and it would basically only be for Turcotte.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad