(Poll pending) Vanek: wanted or not?

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Sure, depending on the price.
I understand people's frustration with his playoff performances. I share them too. We can't just ignore what he brought us in the regular season. Eller and Bourque had terrible seasons production wise, but they were good in the playoffs. Why can't Vanek find his mojo next year?

Obviously, if he asks too much,he can go where ever he wants, as long as he isn't in our division. But if it is 5 mill for 4 years, or that type of deal, sure, I'd keep him.

Him wanting to play for a team that wins can also leave open the possibly of 1 year deals.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
But if it is 5 mill for 4 years, or that type of deal, sure, I'd keep him.

I'm not a Vanek fan but at that price it would be dumb not to re-sign him.

But that's a pipe drea. He refused 7x7 from the Islanders + he is 30 years old and this is most likely his last chance at a big-long term contract so his agent will go all in and try to squeeze every penny of whoever GM he's gonna deal with.

Vanek may give a discount to go play in Minnesota because that's where he truly wants to be but any other team (including the Habs) is gonna have to pay a premium price for his services.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
I'm not a Vanek fan but at that price it would be dumb not to re-sign him.

But that's a pipe drea. He refused 7x7 from the Islanders + he is 30 years old and this is most likely his last chance at a big-long term contract so his agent will go all in and try to squeeze every penny of whoever GM he's gonna deal with.

Vanek may give a discount to go play in Minnesota because that's where he truly wants to be but any other team (including the Habs) is gonna have to pay a premium price for his services.

He refused the Islanders because, as he keeps saying, he wants to play for a winning team. I think he wants to go to the Wild as well. I don't believe it's out of reason that he would take less to be on the team he wants, as he's also said before when he was the Islanders.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
You can add the poll yourself.

As for the topic at hand, despite his crappy effort in the playoffs, he does bring something different up front and adds to our offense, no doubt. Depending on the price and term, I would want him back. Considering he's 30 years old, the term would have to be less than five years and, with the playoff effort, less than 6 million, imo.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Vanek-Galchenyuk-???
Bourque-Eller-???/Bournival/Weise

is a sweet top 9 imo.

The Wild are definitely the favourites, at least for Vanek, I don't know if they're interested in him, but if they don't want him you have to think we're the next favourite.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
We can't past on such talent, if we don't sign Vanek we could easily miss the playoff, Giontaless (i mean the good one) and Vanekless Habs ain't so impressive.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
We can't past on such talent, if we don't sign Vanek we could easily miss the playoff, Giontaless (i mean the good one) and Vanekless Habs ain't so impressive.

The Habs were in a playoff spot before Vanek and finished #2 in the East last year without Vanek and after missing Gionta for half the season

People are exaggerating the downsides of not re-signing him.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
I'm still speechless over how many fans want Bourque over Vanek... Vanek played like crap in the playoffs and he almost had as many points as superhero Bourque.

Vanek is a must on this team... but not at the price he's asking... he'll get his 8mil from Minnesota. I would re-sign him to his previous deal, not a cent more... that's fair value for both parties.

Plan B... sign Iginla to 6mil/1y contract...

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
I'm still speechless over how many fans want Bourque over Vanek... Vanek played like crap in the playoffs and he almost had as many points as superhero Bourque.

Vanek is a must on this team... but not at the price he's asking... he'll get his 8mil from Minnesota. I would re-sign him to his previous deal, not a cent more... that's fair value for both parties.

It would seem you yourself solved the mystery that rendered you speechless :

Not buying out 8-PO-goals-Bourque at 3,3 millions/yr for 2 yrs > Signing 30 yo slept-through-the-PO-Vanek for a gazillion dollars over 6-7 yrs

It'll always be time to buy out Bourque next summer if he sucks all year again. Plus nobody says we couldn't keep both.

MJN79

Nov 21, 2008
When he talks about Minnesota, you can tell its a special place for him. With Minnesota knowing this, they might be able to sign him for cheaper than his market value. I think the Habs know he isn't coming back. Even if his play in the playoffs was questionable, Bergevin needs to find a replacement on the top 2 lines for him. I am still happy that he went to make the trade and surprised us all in the process.

Saintpatrick*

No he **** the bed in the playoffs and then pouted cause he didn't play on the first line. No thanks.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
No he **** the bed in the playoffs and then pouted cause he didn't play on the first line. No thanks.

Not sure I'd agree he was pouting. More likely, I think, that he was frustrated. The playoffs is a crappy time to be mixing up lines, especially with a relatively new player.

I like Vanek's scoring acumen. Regrettably the NHL feels it's necessary to throw the rulebook out the window in the POs. That's tough on guys like him and DD.

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
If we do,we do if.we don't, we don't. I'm not going it get heartbroken if he leaves but we need someone to replace the regular season production, Gaborik would be awesome but I think he will resign with LA.

fordillingerlifesake

Oct 9, 2013
Edmonton
As much as he was absent, that line kicked so much ass in the regular season, I would love to see that again but nothing over 3 years. Hate long term contracts, especially a streaky player

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
I would like to see at least another year of Vanek playing with us for the full season. I'm sure being traded twice in one season must make every team feel alien. I'm sure he'd be much better all around if he had the time to settle in.

Theosis

What do I put here?
Mar 11, 2009
Pointe-Claire, QC
I would because we need him, who replaces him if we don't?

Even if he isn't a playoff performer, at least he can help us get there and then anything can happen once you're in.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
It would seem you yourself solved the mystery that rendered you speechless :

Not buying out 8-PO-goals-Bourque at 3,3 millions/yr for 2 yrs > Signing 30 yo slept-through-the-PO-Vanek for a gazillion dollars over 6-7 yrs

It'll always be time to buy out Bourque next summer if he sucks all year again. Plus nobody says we couldn't keep both.

I never talked about buying Bourque out, his playoffs performance should bring in good value for his services.

And please, don't even mention Bourque while talking about Vanek, they are miles apart... Bourque will never replace Vanek, never, not in a million years...

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
I believe the team should definitely start negotiating with Vanek right away; try hard to not let him get to July 1st. I'd start with an offer of 5 years at $30 mil. I wouldn't want to go over 6 years or over 7 mil per year. Preferably settle at 6 years for $37.5 mil. He's got to want to win and be a part of a building contender. If he makes it to July 1 then someone will pay him big. The purpose to negotiating right now is to know if he is not going to sign here and try to get a mid round pick for his rights at the draft.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal

Let's see: Bourque 3.3M, Vanek 7M+.

PP TOI: Vanek 52 minutes, Bourque 23 minutes.

Goals: Bourque 8, Vanek 5.

You would have expected Vanek to be best in points: 15 points or more.

Vanek is that kind of player, like Bourque that is hot sometimes and cold at other times.
Guess he hit a cold patch against the NYR.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yes, we should take him back. Our biggest need is a big scoring winger. He and Max would be arguably the best 1,2 LW combo in the league. We'd have two lines with a legit top scoring threat on it.

Vanek had a crappy 2nd half to the playoffs but he was still one of our highest scoring forwards. He'd be a big piece for us going forward. I don't think he likes MT though and I don't think he'll re-sign. And that will suck for us because for all the reactionary "he sucks" posts coming out now, he's still a good hockey player and we could use him.

where do we draw the line? he stank on ice and then all the appologists were saying " just you wait, you are all going to look silly when its revealed he was playing through X". Well he wasnt injured and sleptwalked through the ECF.

I get that guys have dry spells, it can happen to players far better than Vanek. But he played like he didnt give a crap.

is he talented ? Sure . But if the opening bid is the same as before his abysmal performance, then thank him for the 8 weeks or so and wish him luck in his future endeavors. We are not going to leverage the 8 weeks into a hometown discount and its clear he is looking to get paid. It wont be clarkson bad but someone is going to dramatially overpay for him ( in term and money) and I hope to hell he ends up being someone else's enigmatic houdini.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I believe the team should definitely start negotiating with Vanek right away; try hard to not let him get to July 1st. I'd start with an offer of 5 years at $30 mil. I wouldn't want to go over 6 years or over 7 mil per year. Preferably settle at 6 years for $37.5 mil. He's got to want to win and be a part of a building contender. If he makes it to July 1 then someone will pay him big. The purpose to negotiating right now is to know if he is not going to sign here and try to get a mid round pick for his rights at the draft.

Has there been a player who has more adamently said they intend to test the free agent market? we can try, and do the idiotic and put out our best offer from the jump. As lucrative as this will be (and we will likely have to capitulate to things we shoud NEVER do like NTC/NMC) hes going to look to see if the grass is greener elsewhere, and someone is going to be more desperate than the habs.

if we can trade exclusive negotiating rights for him we should, his rental largely cost us nothing, we wont be afforded the same if we resign him.

pine*

I would because we need him, who replaces him if we don't?

Even if he isn't a playoff performer, at least he can help us get there and then anything can happen once you're in.

Cap space!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad