(Poll pending) Vanek: wanted or not?

Cdizzle

Mar 11, 2008
Toronto
It's impossible to deny that he's a quality player, it would be foolish not to try and re sign him.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Why not. Even Scott Gomez and "****ing All-Star" was tradable. Now, I think Vanek is a loser and is an expensive exploitation winger, but why not enjoy a few drunken one-night stands with Team Austria's captain before cutting him loose in two years for assets in return when we're truly ready to make a push.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Anybody pinning for Gaborik because he's a "playoff performer". Gaborik had 35 points in 54 games compared to 30 in 53 for Vanek before this year's playoffs. Gaborik also had 11 points in 20 games just 2 years ago with the Rangers when they reached the ECF at the same age as Vanek is now.

That's the nature of the game. Except for the few exceptionnal playoff performers like Forsberg, Malkin, etc, most guys will go through peaks and valleys and the valleys might correspond with the playoffs sometimes.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
vanek? not for me.
His shot is very good, his passing is good but not great, his speed is slowing down, he is big but does not use his size well at all.
if your looking for a long contract NO and that is the problem.
someone will offer 7perx5 and he is just NOT worth that.
If the habs can get in anyway a younger big fast winger with 20-25 goal that can WIN one on one puck battles the effect would be just as good.
in fact habs need 3 bigger wingers that use their size to change the 5 on 5 battles.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
As long as people know that if we don't sign Vanek or find someone to replace his production, we're back to being a fringe playoff team, right? I think a lot of people will be dissapointed next year because we aren't as close as people think. This "run" kinda tricked people into thinking we're close or contenders. Nah.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Not for the long term deal he will be looking for. Let him be another teams albatross.

Naoned

I'd like him back too, but it's gonna be pretty hard to fit him under the cap
According to capgeek, we have roughly $26,5 M$ in cap space (if the cap goes to 71,1 - and we know it'll be lower than that) with 16 players signed.

8 M$ for PK (at least), that's 18,5
6 for Markov, thats 12,5
2,5 to 3, or maybe even 3,5 for Eller, that's 9
1,5 for Weaver, thats 7,7
0,9 for Weise, that's 6,8
That means we don't resign Gionta, White, Parros (obviously). If we can somehow get rid of Budaj for nothing and play Tokarski as Price's backup, we save 0,8, but Bergevin will probably want another veteran dman for insurance purpose. Which will probably cost us twice as much - see Bouillon's 1,5M salary.

That would give us just 6 M$ to offer Vanek. And I bet he won't take that kind of offer.

The only way I see around this is if we let Markov walk. Then we'll be able to put up a competitive offer for TV. But we'll have to replace a #2 dman.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'd like him back too, but it's gonna be pretty hard to fit him under the cap
According to capgeek, we have roughly $26,5 M$ in cap space (if the cap goes to 71,1 - and we know it'll be lower than that) with 16 players signed.

8 M$ for PK (at least), that's 18,5
6 for Markov, thats 12,5
2,5 to 3, or maybe even 3,5 for Eller, that's 9
1,5 for Weaver, thats 7,7
0,9 for Weise, that's 6,8
That means we don't resign Gionta, White, Parros (obviously). If we can somehow get rid of Budaj for nothing and play Tokarski as Price's backup, we save 0,8, but Bergevin will probably want another veteran dman for insurance purpose. Which will probably cost us twice as much - see Bouillon's 1,5M salary.

That would give us just 6 M$ to offer Vanek. And I bet he won't take that kind of offer.

The only way I see around this is if we let Markov walk. Then we'll be able to put up a competitive offer for TV. But we'll have to replace a #2 dman.

First off I think your giving too many raises for depth players. Why would a 35 year old Weaver get a raise? He'll more than likely sign for the 1.1m he was making last season. Weise will get his QO and that's about it, it's not like arbitration will be kind to him his career high is 16pts and he has 30pts in 179 games. Weise will sign with us for cheap because we are willing to give him a chance and he has no other options.

There's only really one spot in the starting lineup for a rookie D if Weaver is coming back. We aren't going to have Tinordi or Beaulieu as 7th D hardly playing. Chances are we will use a scrub like Drewiskie as 7th D and then call up/down the rookies instead of actually playing him.

So just that will mean we can offer Vanek ~7m. Then there are options like dealing Budaj and playing Tokarski (800K in savings), buying out Briere (2.66m in savings).

The cap is not that hard to manage.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I'm concerned about Vanek's speed. He's a particularly slow skater. Kovalev was slow but his hands were off the charts so he could provide offense nonetheless.

I wouldn't give him what he'll want so I guess that makes me a "no". 5 years 6 millions is where I'm stopping.

And yes, not having him around will hurt next year. We are going back to averaging 2 goals per game without a doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad