Poll: GDT from their perspective

Should we do a GDT from their perspective

• Total voters

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
Do we want to have a thread after games that see a consolidated roll up the other team’s fans’ views of the game? Personally, I’ve always enjoyed a roll up of their view and to see the team from the outside. I will fall on my sword and admit I screwed the last one up by directly quoting; on the recommendation of a certain moderator, I have a new system. And the standard disclaimer of flaming and trolling is included. What think you?

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I will sometimes read the other team’s GDT if I’m curious to see if they notice certain players or what is said.

I can tell you overall what the other views are going to be before they happen. “The refs blew that one” “ya no trip there” “f***ing refs” “I hate the Blues”

That’s a good summary :nod:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I like the idea, but it needs to be more condensed and more about opinions on the Blues rather than just emotional reactions to game events.

I don’t see what’s disrespectful about it. It’s not to ridicule or criticize anyone, just a synthesis of opposing fans’ impressions about our favorite team. It’s educational.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I know where this idea comes from, and I get the popularity behind it - especially after certain games.

Do I think we need to have one after every victory? No, that's overkill. We beat some team that's lousy, what are they going to say? They know it, a loss isn't some shock to them. We don't get anything out of it.

Do I think there's a time and place for it, though? Sure - and I think the other key to this is that you don't want to source all the content from HF. For some teams, believe me ... there's other places where you can get high-quality content.

Do I think we should get a full ruling on this from the powers above? Yeah, I would make sure the leaders here are fully on board and willing to defend it if [when] questioned.

Reactions: Celtic Note

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
I personally appreciate the effort and wouldn't mind seeing it continued, and it is nice to have the work done already. But I do agree with the point that we can easily just scroll through the other GDT and look for ourselves. Whether it's disrespectful or not, I'm not sure. If we start losing then you gotta be consistent and keep it up.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I like the idea, but it needs to be more condensed and more about opinions on the Blues rather than just emotional reactions to game events.

I don’t see what’s disrespectful about it. It’s not to ridicule or criticize anyone, just a synthesis of opposing fans’ impressions about our favorite team. It’s educational.
Agree 100%.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think there is value in discussing outside viewpoints of others about our team. We can be an echo chamber at times, reinforcing the board's ideas about certain players. Also we watch so much of players over such a long period of time that our opinions get set in stone and are difficult to change. If we have high expectations of a prospect, we may not notice if the player provides strong value in a less than anticipated role. Conversely, if we are super hyped on a player, we may not notice mistakes they make.

However, the current format does not really encourage such discussion. Its too much like an info dump. I don't understand the purpose of including some of the comments and others seemed left out. If you follow the mods advice, select appropriate comments and include the disclaimer, it could yield fruitful discussion. Like @Stupendous Yappi said, focus on analysis of the blues and our players. Emotional reactions can be included for humor but should probably be minimized to avoid discussion about those comments which can lead to "insulting" the opposing fan-base. I'd also include a link to the full thread for those interested.

At the end of the day, anyone who doesn't like the thread can not click on it. But I think taking the above measures as well as some others as suggested here, it could generate productive interesting discussion. As another suggestion, maybe keep one running thread instead of a new one every game. That way, we can continue discussion from an old game and even see if certain themes repeat across multiple fanbases.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I wouldn't like other teams doing it to us so I voted no. I didn't see you doing it when we were last place so you shouldn't do it now either.

Reactions: jura

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
If you want to know another teams opinion just go lurk their board during or after the game. If you quote them and post it here on our board they could take it as us mocking them, especially if we just happened to defeat their favorite team. It just seems like it could create unnecessary drama and cast our particular board in a bad light.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I am not a fan and voted No. When I saw the first one go up, I thought to myself, this really is a crappy thing to do to a team that just lost. And teams will view it that way. We have to be respectful of other teams, even if they are not that way to us (Buffalo fans).

How much real analysis do we get out of that about our teams players? It isn’t like we go into large rants or discuss other teams players in any meaningful way during our threads.

As for this forum being an scho chamber, I completely disagree. There are so many different opinions here about the team and players - especially when we are losing. Just go to the trade proposals to see this,

I don’t see us as an echo chamber at all. And just because we share the same opinion, doesn’t make that an echo chamber.

Reactions: Blanick

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
No. If you want to see what they posted you can just read the thread yourself. GDTs are a place people use to vent and people don't deserve to be singled out for it. Honestly, I'm surprised it's even allowed here.

Reactions: trevorftw

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
I voted yes because the intentions aren’t meant to be disrespectful. Also, if someone is willing to go through the work of actually doing it then hey allow them. If you don’t want to be involved then don’t read or reply in the threads.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
I think there is value in discussing outside viewpoints of others about our team. We can be an echo chamber at times, reinforcing the board's ideas about certain players. Also we watch so much of players over such a long period of time that our opinions get set in stone and are difficult to change. If we have high expectations of a prospect, we may not notice if the player provides strong value in a less than anticipated role. Conversely, if we are super hyped on a player, we may not notice mistakes they make.

However, the current format does not really encourage such discussion. Its too much like an info dump. I don't understand the purpose of including some of the comments and others seemed left out. If you follow the mods advice, select appropriate comments and include the disclaimer, it could yield fruitful discussion. Like @Stupendous Yappi said, focus on analysis of the blues and our players. Emotional reactions can be included for humor but should probably be minimized to avoid discussion about those comments which can lead to "insulting" the opposing fan-base. I'd also include a link to the full thread for those interested.

At the end of the day, anyone who doesn't like the thread can not click on it. But I think taking the above measures as well as some others as suggested here, it could generate productive interesting discussion. As another suggestion, maybe keep one running thread instead of a new one every game. That way, we can continue discussion from an old game and even see if certain themes repeat across multiple fanbases.

This! It’s not about reading opposing fans GDTs (which we can all do if we are so inclined) it’s about stimulating discussions on our players and the team as a whole that may be lost to us in group think.

A format change and not showing the quoted persons name prehaps would help with not offending anyone.

Last edited:

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
The biggest value I get from reading other boards is just how much they say the same exact things about their players that we do about ours. Brings great perspective to the traps we fall into with our thinking. If something like that can be gleaned from these threads then cool, but also you should not tag other fans. Keep usernames out of it altogether.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad