Management Poll: Does Boston Bruins Head Coach Bruce Cassidy Still Have a Job in 2022-23?

Bruins Head Coach Cassidy: Stays or Goes?

• Stays With Team For Final Year of Contract

Votes: 128 68.8%
  • He's Relieved of His Duties During This Off-Season

Votes: 58 31.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Tee hee.

But remember, it was Charlie who went outside the organization and brought in Peter Chiarelli, who, a season removed from the Dave Lewis Experiment, brought in Claude Julien in turn.

Worked out pretty well.

Now that Sweeney is evidently safe for another year, I hope Charlie does the same after yet another "day late, dollar short" effort from the SweeNeely brain trust.

It's my only hope.

:banghead::wally:cry:
You know, fair is fair. And what you say is indeed true.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

And there you have it.

No shame. No genuine accountability.

I have referred to Sweeney and Neely as "the Stockholm Twins," as in, two former Bruins suffering from "Stockholm Syndrom" after playing for Sinden all those years.

Before the season, Sweeney actually said, and appeared comfortable doing so, that the Boston Bruins would solve the gaping 2C hole left by David Krejci's defection to HC Olomouc "by committee." It was a stunning admission of management's inability to resolve the issue promptly and properly. It screamed incompetence.

Did you notice that in his year end press conference, Don Sweeney used the word "competitive" ("as in, "We're going to ice a competitive team") THREE TIMES in a single answer?

Who else used to use that term?

More recently, it occurs that GM and club President have also suffered under the ownership of C. Montgomery Burns.

They obfuscate.They lie. They blame X, Y & Z for their repeated failures. They shift responsibility for their failures on to the coach. I used to like both Sweeney and, especially, Neely. Now both are very much diminished in my eyes.

Go Chickens, or whatever that is,

1652991738885.png

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don’t think it’s fair the way Sweeney and Cassidy are talking about “leaving something on the table.” Carolina was the better, more balanced team on paper. And Cassidy got them within 1 goal in G7. Not that he can’t be better or make some changes, just seems like they’re scapegoating him a bit with that left on the table line.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I don’t think it’s fair the way Sweeney and Cassidy are talking about “leaving something on the table.” Carolina was the better, more balanced team on paper. And Cassidy got them within 1 goal in G7. Not that he can’t be better or make some changes, just seems like they’re scapegoating him a bit with that left on the table line.

I don't believe either of them mentioned the unused cap space that could have been used...

Reactions: PlayMakers

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
You know, fair is fair. And what you say is indeed true.

He deserves credit for that, and never gets it.

A bit like Chiarelli, Julien and, until late in their careers, Z, Krejčí, and even Patrice, have never been appreciated as fully as they should have been by fans, media, et. al.

Unless you have really paid attention from the start, and I know many of you have.

We do this in Boston sports, though. Too often, great players go underappreciated and taken for granted.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I do not think Cassidy should be fired , he coached the players that were given him from the guy who should be fired . Cassidy has one year left on his contract , I hope the Bruins failed management team do not jerk this guy around and keep without an extension which would make him a "lame duck coach" ,I do not believe he deserves that.......................Sweeney and Neely should step up and take responsibility for this team , we ownership never will all they care about is bottom line..................

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I don't believe either of them mentioned the unused cap space that could have been used...
I mean sure we could say Hall and Smith underperformed too. We could spread the blame far and wide but this threads about Cassidy. He’s shown us what he can do with a stacked roster and with a flawed roster- it ain’t working.

When the biggest complaint about the roster is that they’ll be screwed when the #1 C leaves, it doesn’t speak too well of the coach who couldn’t put it all together when the #1 C was still here.

Sep 19, 2008
Firing Cassidy would be a huge mistake. He has done wonders for the organization and taken them to a SC final. It is not his fault the team he coaches gets older by the day.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
I can already see them firing Cassidy, losing him to the Islanders, Senators, or Devils who sneak into playoffs, while the Bruins finish ninth or tenth with a middling pick.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Unless they think they can bring in Trotz (and I think that would be a mistake) I don't see them replacing Butch before the season starts.

He'll be the scapegoat if the Bruins "underperform" next year. Depending upon how badly they'll either just not renew his contract, or they'll fire him mid-season.

Either way, not sure it'll be (mostly) his fault, but he'll end up taking all the blame and Sweeney and Neely will walk free.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I mean sure we could say Hall and Smith underperformed too. We could spread the blame far and wide but this threads about Cassidy. He’s shown us what he can do with a stacked roster and with a flawed roster- it ain’t working.

When the biggest complaint about the roster is that they’ll be screwed when the #1 C leaves, it doesn’t speak too well of the coach who couldn’t put it all together when the #1 C was still here.

They have more issues than center, it’s just the biggest one.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I also see them letting Cassidy twist in the wind for a couple of months into next year. If he lets them........
I hope not, if they even think of letting him go, do it now and bring in Trotz and Deboer for interviews and don't let one of them leave town preferably Trotz. Neely missed the boat on Gorton hopefully he learned from it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think a change is coming, Butch has an amazing regular season W %, playoffs....not so much

Yep, some of that is on the horses he`s given but I`m not so sure another coach wouldn`t be able to inspire more out of some of those in this lineup.

This summer team toughness has to be addressed, such a bunch of softies

On my hit list to get, Deslauriers for 4th line
I`m gonna say it, many won`t like it, but I`ll take Trocheck on this team 8 days a week

Back end, Manson or Zadorov, or I look at Johnson of the Avs but ONLY if he`s a 5/6

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I was early in the He will be gone but am impressed we have 54 others who understand the time has come

Bruce will be fine - who knows maybe the panthers or Rangers or Avalanche will hire him

Mike Sullivan is my number one target - although you could go Sacco for a year and then get Sully but why not just get him now and let Bergy finish with the guy who he started with and spoke highly of

Sweeney Magic - let’s go Donny!!!!

Six seasons and a movie

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I was early in the He will be gone but am impressed we have 54 others who understand the time has come

Bruce will be fine - who knows maybe the panthers or Rangers or Avalanche will hire him

Mike Sullivan is my number one target - although you could go Sacco for a year and then get Sully but why not just get him now and let Bergy finish with the guy who he started with and spoke highly of

Sweeney Magic - let’s go Donny!!!!

Six seasons and a movie
Yeah I don't disagree but the thread title is asking if you think Sweeney will be back; not if YOU think he should be back. Otherwise my vote would have been different.

Reactions: Gee Wally

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I'm hoping the Celtics win three weeks from now so the Bruins can fire Cassidy on parade day, resulting in more self righteous hfboards angerposting.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The rumblings from Bergeron and Krejci which were direct are enough reason to move on. This could be the difference between Bergeron retiring or not.

Hes a decent coach but he was given a good team he didn't over achieve or what not.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

the concerns go back to 2019 though, that was a huge example of "leaving something on the table"

they likely feel they did have the team that year to win and cassidy's structure and decisions to sit backes and not move pasta were what made the difference in the end. You can't throw up your hands and just say well the players didnt execute. Then what are you there for? You're there to play chess when it's not going your way.

Frankly, Cassidy is lucky to still be here after the second game 5 loss to the lightning, or the game 6 loss to the isles. Covid likely saved Cassidy just as much as it hurt him.

I hope cassidy is retained because I think he's a good coach that has shown he can make changes, lets see if that continues this year.

And no, I don't think it's all him, Sweeney and co have made plenty of mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad