[POLL] Do you want the Rangers to Buy at the Deadline?

Do you want the Rangers to buy at the Deadline?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
last night was another example that
the team's basic compete and pushback trails the genuine ~top 8 Cup contenders

they're just not there yet, despite the fun of this season

I'd be ok making cost-effective deals for depth,
or a bigger deal if it brings back Strome's replacement or a long-term affordable shooting W

but I'd rather not whittle down the top end of the pipeline much
Some guys should be untouchable at least for now: Schneider, Jones, Othmann, Cuylle, Garand, Berard
a few others only for the RIGHT deal: Robertson, Korczak, Paju, Barron, Vierling (and be sure to keep some)
also there are guys I'd hope get more time to show what they can be: Edstrom and Huska, Lamb and Grubbe, Boyko and Ollas (so be sure to keep some)

obviously Nils and Krav are special cases,
but NYR FO shouldn't sell low on them, plenty of precedence of GM's betting on young talent

some roster tweaking isn't a wrong idea,
but NYR can spend from 'the other pocket' to sweeten big-ish deals, or bring in less-headline names
(maybe not home-run returns, but IMHO that can wait)
the veterans: Nemeth, Tinordi, McKegg, Bitetto, even Strome
the young veterans: Georgie, Hajek, Hunt
there are young-ish guys who should have value despite our doubts: Henricksson, Lindbom,Tarmo, Getts, Rempe, Skinner, Tarnstrom, Ronning, Wall ... any of Gorton's picks may appeal to him (including his GM's son)

lead-up to TDL has already been exhausting 8^) won't mind when it's behind us

Bolded is simply not true. Last night's game was not at all indicative of the season. They have pushed back plenty and have the most come from behind wins in NHL. They are every bit as good as Boston, Washington, and maybe Pitt and Toronto. If you want to say they are unlikely to win a cup this year I would agree but pushback is not the reason. The biggest reason is the bottom 6 has like 50 points combined. Not good enough and has to be addressed at deadline.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Absolutely yes to the OP's question. The team is riding a .675 winning % with the best goalie in the league and very little production in the bottom 6. No giving up top picks/prospects for a rental for a few months. It's absolutely doable though to pick up a 3rd line type or 2 for a reasonable return. It's a buyers market. This plus the addition of Kakko will balance out the entire lineup and just make them more dangerous and Igor can steal any series. Move Hunt down to the 4th line, put together a decent NHL 3rd line, get the AHL Fodder off my team, and then see what they can do.

RangersFan

Feb 27, 2002
NY, NY
It's hard to ignore the seasons Igor and Kreider are having but I truly believe it's next season when our "window" opens. The team isn't good enough as is and blowing our wad at this deadline may be premature. Next season I think we get a better view of what this team could become if our kids really take that next step. Next deadline is where we deal our assets for the "real" run.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...They are every bit as good as Boston, Washington, and maybe Pitt and Toronto....

this is where we agree, and why i am hesitant,
NYR are behind Fla, Canes, TBL, Avs, Flames at least, and likely some of Vegas, Wild, Pitt, Leafs, Blues

I am ok with addressing roster imbalance, and changing up at W, C, LD and 2G,
but not up for paying the prices that are being floated for rentals, or marginal depth guys

let's have a good crunch time run, and the good-old 'invaluable playoff experience,'
and be positioned to contend for The Cup the next few
without overspending too soon

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
I mean, I said yes, but asking that question without nuance is ridiculous. We have a shot at the Cup for a few reasons, largely Shesterkin. But it's not a GOOD shot. I'd like to improve the top 9, but either cheaply or for a top 6 guy good beyond this year. In the latter case, Lundqvist and Jones will never BOTH play long-term for this club so move one while anyone still cares. I'd also like to improve on Nemeth's spot, but unless we can move Nemeth himself in order to do so, I'm not sure it's worth spending much just to replace him for the playoffs then be right back to Nemeth as #6 for the next two years.

So, yeah, use some of our better surplus if we can do something with lasting impact beyond this season, and some second-tier prospects and lower round picks to solidify the third line. Like that.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
They are a playoff team, with lots of assets, and cap space.

They are 100% going to buy.

I don't want them to buy any rental players, but its likely going to happen.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Absolutely take a big swing at it. Lot's of cap space, goalie playing as well as I can ever recall any goalie playing, superstars, etc. but with significant depth issues. Build a 3rd line like Tampa last year with Goodrow and facsimiles for Gourde and Coleman and add another RW and we should have a good shot. Our defense has come together with Schneider and an improved Nemeth. Good chips in Nils and Kravtsov.

Next year were in cap hell. And whose to say Igor will put up numbers like this every season. Go for it now!

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
right. Two good middle sixers who can play 2 way is all we need.
They need a RW for the Panarin line. Been talking about Connor Brown for months. That’s the perfect fit. They need another forward for Kakko and Goodrow. That’s your Lehkonen/Hagel spot and that’s your D/energy line. Hunt goes back to L4 with Reaves and Rooney like he belongs, and suddenly the Rangers make a lot more sense.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I voted no, but I think there's a grey area in between the two where most of us agree. Don't go all out mortgaging the future and making long term gambles. If there are middle six forwards at a reasonable rental price: sure.

I think I'm still jaded from the pre-cap Rangers. When I watch a trade deadline while we're buyers; it's white-knuckled. When I watch one while were sellers; it's much more enjoyable.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Buy a couple bargain bin 3rd line rentals.

Have Tarmo, Skinner, Henriksson, 3rd round picks on the table for them.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
It's hard to ignore the seasons Igor and Kreider are having but I truly believe it's next season when our "window" opens. The team isn't good enough as is and blowing our wad at this deadline may be premature. Next season I think we get a better view of what this team could become if our kids really take that next step. Next deadline is where we deal our assets for the "real" run.

What are you buying at next years deadline with no cap space?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
A lot depends on the players coming back and for what if they make moves. A simple yes or no is a tough ask.

If they overpay for a Chariot, Giordano, Kane, Giroux or some other aging vet, they are messing with what they have taken years to build up. You could sell me on JT Miller if he's had for a reasonable price (not happening), but you are just kicking the can down the road on another contract negotiation instead of Strome and it would be much more costly.

If they make sensible moves for depth guys like Lehkonen, Copp or Jarnkrok with the thought of extended them and not spend top assets like Nils and this years 1st to get them - then I am on board to try and improve for this playoff run and beyond.

I would make adding the right player to the bottom 6 a top priority actually. With Blais and Kakko coming back into the fold thats a much deeper forward group, removing the dead wood that is forced into action right now.

There is a wildcard scenario that we may not be aware of that is spending top assets to bring in Gourde or a Chychrun or a young center (player with term) that will remake the roster a bit but improve them both in the short and longterm. It depends on the deal but that isnt something I'd be against if its the right player.

Reactions: LokiDog

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
No. This team just can't compete with Carolina, Pittsburgh, or a playoff experienced Capitals no matter what they add and Shesterkin is not being to able to steal whole series against teams outshooting him 2-1 that already have excellent goaltending. The Rangers had an opportunity to load up with their prospects and picks and become a true contender, but Sather/Gorton/Drury blew that chance and blew the rebuild. The window has closed before it even opened.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
No. This team just can't compete with Carolina, Pittsburgh, or a playoff experienced Capitals no matter what they add and Shesterkin is not being to able to steal whole series against teams outshooting him 2-1 that already have excellent goaltending. The Rangers had an opportunity to load up with their prospects and picks and become a true contender, but Sather/Gorton/Drury blew that chance and blew the rebuild. The window has closed before it even opened.

Ill never understand this sentiment. Some people just want to rebuild forever i guess.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Blew the rebuild…..:blah:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I vote NO.
What I would do;

- Trade Georgiev for anything
- Call up Kinkaid or trade something unsubstantial for a veteran backup
- Take on bad expiring contracts to acquire draft picks or prospects for their cap hits. Hopefully a couple players who will have a decent impact on the bottom 6 not just absolute plugs
General agree.
Kink is fine to get us thru rest of this year, and I'd actually like to see Huska play every 5th or 6th game. Yes he got shelled in his one and only game here, but as we all saw, he got zero support, and it was vs the Avs, who own us so far, even beating Shesty

We need to get down to a true core. Eventually, pref sooner than later, need to deal excess vets for youth which will be better w/more meaningful minutes and playing together to develop chemistry.

We can deal vets for vets, vets for youth, and youth for youth. We MUST NOT deal youth for vets, esp in hard cap situation which will be unforgiving next 2 seasons or until Trouba's 8m can mostly be dealt and replaced w/cheaper Schneider.

Strome is a crutch. He is a small net positive, he is NOT all that and a bag of chips, we cannot afford him next yr and if we go there regardless, it will put in motion forced dealing of LaF + Kakko, which being forced will be for inadequate return.

Just effin no, Strome + 4th for two 3rds. Give mins to Chytil, Barron + Krav

Depends on the player and cost and if it fits this year and in the future. If they trade for RFA and or someone that will be here in the future then yes, but for rentals than no.
Sounds reasonable, except have to remember we have almost ZERO cap room next yr.

All of Strome + Geo + Nemeth + Hajek + recovery of Hank buyout needed for 11m ish that covers new Zib, Fox deals. ALL OF IT. No replacing Strome w/cheaper. All of it. Geo we will have to go w/internal backup for minimum and not sign a guy like McKegg.

Other aspect is other than Lindgren, who we are likely gonna have to deal to get scratch downpayment for LaF + Kakko bridges, there is no one we can trade due to protection clauses.

So who are we trading for that we cannot afford to keep? Stupid waste of assets.

I was thinking of doing that but figured everyone would just vote for the “stay relatively put but add someone to our bottom 6” I want to gather the general sentiment. Like I voted no as in I do not want to mortgage the future for this season
agree w/da bold

Yes, a small add.

Add: Lehkonen, Kravtsov
Remove: Georgeiv, McKegg
Like that you want to let us play Krav, pref top line, and resurrect his value. Then we can keep or move, and value returned if dealt is ok.
Lehkonen, do not want to pay for.

The ultimate goal is to win a Cup. I am with you. A crime if they decide to punt a season where their goalie is playing hockey the league hasn't seen, well, ever, if he finishes the season like this. It isn't like he's carrying those Rangers teams of 2012. This team is wayyy more talented.
Wasting assets when it shortens our window and does not satisfactorily up, let alone guarantee or odds, is just wrong,

*Caveat to start* - I AM WELL AWARE ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE PLAYOFFS. EVEN MIRACLES

As currently constructed, the Rangers top players would be hard pressed to go on a deep run all on their own. We aren't a single forward and depth D away from proper playoff balance.
To be a true contender:
Find players to replace Hunt, Goat, McKegg, Chytil, Nemeth and Geo. They are below replacement (in my opinion).
Figure out what to do with Strome

More experience and marinating for Laf, Kakko, KAM, Schneider.

We aren't filling these holes at the TDL this year.

If we can chip away at them though, then do it, but anything that even sniffs of a future mortgage or "all in" would be foolish.
"Find players to replace Hunt, McKegg, Nemeth and Geo. They are below replacement (in my opinion)." -- Agree

"Goat, ... Chytil" -- disagree
need Chytil to replace Strome and I see enuf in Chytil and Strome that if we find a complementary finisher for them, that could be a very good line.

"Figure out what to do with Strome" --- buh bye

The best move the rangers could make is to move Strome for a real center but that's not going to happen. I'll be happy with adding a real NHL player to the third line and that's about it.

Agree, and step 1, make space, give mins to kids.
Then the next PLD that suddenly and inexplicably may become available, we are at the ready. We have created space and not squandered assets.

last night was another example that
the team's basic compete and pushback trails the genuine ~top 8 Cup contenders
they're just not there yet, despite the fun of this season

I'd be ok making cost-effective deals for depth,
or a bigger deal if it brings back Strome's replacement or a long-term affordable shooting W

but I'd rather not whittle down the top end of the pipeline much
Some guys should be untouchable at least for now: Schneider, Jones, Othmann, Cuylle, Garand, Berard
a few others only for the RIGHT deal: Robertson, Korczak, Paju, Barron, Vierling (and be sure to keep some)
also there are guys I'd hope get more time to show what they can be: Edstrom and Huska, Lamb and Grubbe, Boyko and Ollas (so be sure to keep some)

obviously Nils and Krav are special cases,
but NYR FO shouldn't sell low on them, plenty of precedence of GM's betting on young talent

some roster tweaking isn't a wrong idea,
but NYR can spend from 'the other pocket' to sweeten big-ish deals, or bring in less-headline names
(maybe not home-run returns, but IMHO that can wait)
the veterans: Nemeth, Tinordi, McKegg, Bitetto, even Strome
the young veterans: Georgie, Hajek, Hunt
there are young-ish guys who should have value despite our doubts: Henricksson, Lindbom,Tarmo, Getts, Rempe, Skinner, Tarnstrom, Ronning, Wall ... any of Gorton's picks may appeal to him (including his GM's son)

lead-up to TDL has already been exhausting 8^) won't mind when it's behind us
Agree w/almost all of this, esp the honest bold, except I would not be too quick to move either Robertson or Nils L.

Yes but nothing stupid.

no expensive rentals. Open to extending people upon training for them but the numbers have to be reasonable.

sitting on your thumbs with all this cap space available would just be a wasted opportunity.
No, sitting would be the opportunity cost of being patient vs the actual cost of wasted assets.
Also extending people upon trading for them is a pipe dream atm, due to crazy but real cap vice. Pls see above posts.

Yes, but within reason. I've said it a lot: We're close. We need better versions of guys like Hunt, McKegg, etc, not more star power. Complimentary guys.

Trade Geo for a bag of pucks. We have guys like Libor, Nills, etc that have almost no chance at cracking the line up regularly for a long time to come. We've got some cards we can deal.

Hard no to taking on bloated contracts for aging vets.
No on adding vets, ESP if a bloated contract, but even if not.

Bolded is simply not true. Last night's game was not at all indicative of the season. They have pushed back plenty and have the most come from behind wins in NHL. They are every bit as good as Boston, Washington, and maybe Pitt and Toronto. If you want to say they are unlikely to win a cup this year I would agree but pushback is not the reason. The biggest reason is the bottom 6 has like 50 points combined. Not good enough and has to be addressed at deadline.
Last night's game proves this yr, Wild is def the better team.

I agree w/"They are every bit as good as Boston, Washington, and maybe Pitt and Toronto"
but let's say we are even w/CAR, let's say we get a coupla good puck bounces for EC. We are DEF not better than Avs or Flames. Even w/Shesty. And there are another couple who outplayed us.
This is not the year.
This is time to be smart, deal for higher quality youth which enables us to handle the cap.

The team has the best goalie in the league and several other notable parts... Drury is buying. /thread
It is possible you are right, but for the record, if that happens, if Drury does not do the correct thing because he wants to be lazy and just dump Krav, or make other stupid moves, then let it be said, bern is right, Drury is wrong, and eff Drury if he puts anything above the best overall interests of the team, which is arguably not short term win now splurges which are ineffective.

this is where we agree, and why i am hesitant,
NYR are behind Fla, Canes, TBL, Avs, Flames at least, and likely some of Vegas, Wild, Pitt, Leafs, Blues

I am ok with addressing roster imbalance, and changing up at W, C, LD and 2G,
but not up for paying the prices that are being floated for rentals, or marginal depth guys

let's have a good crunch time run, and the good-old 'invaluable playoff experience,'
and be positioned to contend for The Cup the next few
without overspending too soon

Agree w/all of this, other than
"NYR are behind Fla, Canes, TBL, Avs, Flames at least, and likely some of Vegas, Wild, Pitt, Leafs, Blues"
I give us close to but not ahead of, FL + TBL. Avs + Flames are WAY ahead. Other 5 are ballpark even, other than Wild.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad