[POLL] Do you want the Rangers to Buy at the Deadline?

Do you want the Rangers to buy at the Deadline?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I vote NO.
What I would do;

- Trade Georgiev for anything
- Call up Kinkaid or trade something unsubstantial for a veteran backup
- Take on bad expiring contracts to acquire draft picks or prospects for their cap hits. Hopefully a couple players who will have a decent impact on the bottom 6 not just absolute plugs

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Depends on the player and cost and if it fits this year and in the future. If they trade for RFA and or someone that will be here in the future then yes, but for rentals than no.

Reactions: LokiDog

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Probably should have more options. Like all in, or something like only cap space and secondary pieces.
I was thinking of doing that but figured everyone would just vote for the “stay relatively put but add someone to our bottom 6” I want to gather the general sentiment. Like I voted no as in I do not want to mortgage the future for this season

Reactions: Atax

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Leaning towards yes, but not for rentals unless the cost is fairly cheap. Maybe with a couple of additions that will help 5v5 it would be enough with Igor playing the way he's playing. I go back and forth a lot on this.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Yes definitely. Backup goalie, top 6 and bottom 6 player as well. That would be ideal for me

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Gotta modify the poll to reflect different "buys" - ie... short term rental (UFA), hockey trade, young assets, signable RFA, etc...

Totally against a pending UFA buy that'll sign elsewhere over the summer. Totally for a need that'll sign here and be part of the future.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Yes. We have a goalie having arguably the greatest season of all time, a Norris winning dman, a number 1 C, an elite winger, and a potential 50 goal winger. Get a top 6 winger and some more offensive depth and we have as good a chance as anyone to win the cup.
The ultimate goal is to win a Cup. I am with you. A crime if they decide to punt a season where their goalie is playing hockey the league hasn't seen, well, ever, if he finishes the season like this. It isn't like he's carrying those Rangers teams of 2012. This team is wayyy more talented.

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
It all depends-I would like to see them upgrade but don't want them to sell the future to do it. I would unload expendable pieces like Kravtsov, Jones & Lundkvist in the right deal

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
*Caveat to start* - I AM WELL AWARE ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE PLAYOFFS. EVEN MIRACLES

As currently constructed, the Rangers top players would be hard pressed to go on a deep run all on their own. We aren't a single forward and depth D away from proper playoff balance.
To be a true contender:
Find players to replace Hunt, Goat, McKegg, Chytil, Nemeth and Geo. They are below replacement (in my opinion).
Figure out what to do with Strome
More experience and marinating for Laf, Kakko, KAM, Schneider.

We aren't filling these holes at the TDL this year.

If we can chip away at them though, then do it, but anything that even sniffs of a future mortgage or "all in" would be foolish.

Reactions: Peltz

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
The best move the rangers could make is to move Strome for a real center but that's not going to happen. I'll be happy with adding a real NHL player to the third line and that's about it.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
last night was another example that
the team's basic compete and pushback trails the genuine ~top 8 Cup contenders
they're just not there yet, despite the fun of this season

I'd be ok making cost-effective deals for depth,
or a bigger deal if it brings back Strome's replacement or a long-term affordable shooting W

but I'd rather not whittle down the top end of the pipeline much
Some guys should be untouchable at least for now: Schneider, Jones, Othmann, Cuylle, Garand, Berard
a few others only for the RIGHT deal: Robertson, Korczak, Paju, Barron, Vierling (and be sure to keep some)
also there are guys I'd hope get more time to show what they can be: Edstrom and Huska, Lamb and Grubbe, Boyko and Ollas (so be sure to keep some)

obviously Nils and Krav are special cases,
but NYR FO shouldn't sell low on them, plenty of precedence of GM's betting on young talent

some roster tweaking isn't a wrong idea,
but NYR can spend from 'the other pocket' to sweeten big-ish deals, or bring in less-headline names
(maybe not home-run returns, but IMHO that can wait)
the veterans: Nemeth, Tinordi, McKegg, Bitetto, even Strome
the young veterans: Georgie, Hajek, Hunt
there are young-ish guys who should have value despite our doubts: Henricksson, Lindbom,Tarmo, Getts, Rempe, Skinner, Tarnstrom, Ronning, Wall ... any of Gorton's picks may appeal to him (including his GM's son)

lead-up to TDL has already been exhausting 8^) won't mind when it's behind us

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yes but nothing stupid.

no expensive rentals. Open to extending people upon training for them but the numbers have to be reasonable.

sitting on your thumbs with all this cap space available would just be a wasted opportunity.

Reactions: LokiDog

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I want Lehkonen 100% and Hagel if the price is right.

Those 2 adds +getting Kakko back healthy, should help a lot.

I don't have expectations to win a cup this season but it'd be nice if the team were to win a series. valuable experience

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Yes, within reason. I think there are moves out there to address our depth issues that wouldn't require breaking the bank. I think that's what we should be looking at.

This and whoever is brought in, is brought in with the intention of extending.

They obviously need help in the bottom 6, add a player like Lehkonen and with Blais and potentially Othmann knocking on the door that will bolster the bottom 9 going into next season.

They will likely go after a vet dman but I feel that will be a true rental. I'd rather not spend assets there.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
I don't think they should go all in, but given the choice between making some big moves and doing nothing, I'd go with the former.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
Yes, but within reason. I've said it a lot: We're close. We need better versions of guys like Hunt, McKegg, etc, not more star power. Complimentary guys.

Trade Geo for a bag of pucks. We have guys like Libor, Nills, etc that have almost no chance at cracking the line up regularly for a long time to come. We've got some cards we can deal.

Hard no to taking on bloated contracts for aging vets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad