Poll: Do the flyers make the playoffs

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think they have a better shot than most people are giving them. Even if Giroux and Voracek only have a slightly better season than last (which seems at least possible, if not probable), the offense will be better. And good grief I can't imagine the defense being much worse than last year. Really going to depend on the improvement/regression of other teams. I think the Flyers will have a better team, but if the division improved more than we did, that will be our downfall.

pooch

May 30, 2017
I voted yes but I think they would need a lot of things to break their way.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm going to reserve judgment until about 10-20 games in.....I'm going to flip if they are slow out of the gate. They have to start off strong...maybe have a lull mid season....finish strong. Any variation thereof and they are assured another long offseason. Right now yeah they are a bubble playoff team...on paper. One more year of transition I can "Hak" although one more mediocre season from Hak is not acceptable. Sounds contradictory but I want to see more....or at least if the players are developing properly I'm cool with him. Otherwise Hak deserves the sack

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
I'm going to reserve judgment until about 10-20 games in.....I'm going to flip if they are slow out of the gate. They have to start off strong...

Have you seen October's schedule?

@SJ
@LAK
@ANA
@NSH
WSH
FL
NSH
EDM
ANA
@OTT
@TOR
@ARZ

1-11 or 2-10 is my prediction.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
that is a brutal schedule.

November is not much better, but definitely a couple more very capable wins in there.

Seemingly, the schedule doesn't open up for the Flyers until December. That's the first month of games I see them ending the month with a positive record.

We never know, though...

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
November is not much better, but definitely a couple more very capable wins in there.

Seemingly, the schedule doesn't open up for the Flyers until December. That's the first month of games I see them ending the month with a positive record.

We never know, though...

we could potentially end that month with just 6 points.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They always play better against playoff teams and get stomped by lotto teams. That schedule is their chance to get off to a good start. ;)

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Have you seen October's schedule?

@SJ
@LAK
@ANA
@NSH
WSH
FL
NSH
EDM
ANA
@OTT
@TOR
@ARZ

1-11 or 2-10 is my prediction.

ahhh....now that you mention it no. I will still hold off. I want to see the product on the ice before I make any prognostications.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
They always play better against playoff teams and get stomped by lotto teams. That schedule is their chance to get off to a good start. ;)

I have a couple buddies who are awful at golf whom I play with roughly once or twice a month.

I also have a couple buddies who are very skilled at golf whom I play with roughly two or three times per month.

It's amazing how much better I personally shoot when I'm not playing with my caste of buddies who are utterly god-awful at playing golf.

It's a difference of +6 or more on my handicap. Absurd.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Voted yes but like someone else said, that's my heart talking. My head says they're a year or two away from being a legit playoff team (if things go well). Maybe they sneak in this season.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have a couple buddies who are awful at golf whom I play with roughly once or twice a month.

I also have a couple buddies who are very skilled at golf whom I play with roughly two or three times per month.

It's amazing how much better I personally shoot when I'm not playing with my caste of buddies who are utterly god-awful at playing golf.

It's a difference of +6 or more on my handicap. Absurd.

I know what you mean.

Some people/teams play to the level of their competition. Unfortunately, the team, yourself, and myself fall into this category. Its just one of those subconscious things.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Hell yeah! Giroux gets the Hart. Elliot Vezina. Voracek Art Ross. Provolone Norris. Couturier Selke. Hakstok gets Jack Adams. Morin, Lindblom, and Patrick tie for Calder. Flyers win Cup over the Sharks. Penguins, Rangers, and Devils all finish in the bottom three but have to forfeit their draft picks.

Its sad when the thing thats most unlikely to happen in that list is hak getting the jack adams

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Are the Islanders, Rangers, Devils and Hurricanes really going to be good this season? I didn't follow their off seasons or drafts. Surely Penguin games will be a challenge but I expect the Flyers will win 3 of them just because they will play up to the competition, the home crowd will amp them up and the Pens will have key injuries, coast and try to win on pure talent. The Caps will continue to pound on the Flyers with their size and speed and will exploit inexperience on the Flyers blue line. Same with the Blue Jackets who are a young and strong team that will likely be good 5 on 5.

I don't have a read on wether Hackstol will improve or not. One thing is certain - Hextall has given him fewer bad players to send out there. There was so much VV and Bellemare last season, and offensive zone starts too. MacDonald can't possibly get as much ice time this season can he??? God I hope he doesn't torture poor Provorov with him too much again. That would be so awful.

Hackstol could have done so much better last season by scratching VV and playing McDonald, Leier, or almost anybody. He could have scratched Macdonald a ton more for Haag or Morin or just about anybody. I hope he simply knew they weren't a playoff team and was meting out ice the extra time to the 4th liners per Hextall's direction/long term plan. I hope he was just trying not to wear out his core players knowing it was a lost season.

Hope hope hope...

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I don't think we will. Goaltending will be an issue. Who knows though. Maybe Elliot will retain his form from Calgary at the end of the year.

Defense too will hurt during the beginning of the year.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Realistically, I believe the Metro is more wide open than people think. Washington got noticeabley worse, Isles won't be great, Carolina has gotten better but should beat us in the standings. Pens have Crosby and Malkin so their tough. Columbus, I don't think they are as good as their record last year shows, I could see a decline very easily. Rangers are tough to judge. But either way. It's a tough division, but no reason the boys can't compete for a top 3 seed.

Evergreen

No. I don't see any way that we can beat out Pittsburgh, Washington, or Columbus for a top-3 spot and competition will be fierce for a wild card spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad