Post-Game Talk: POLL - Did Nate do that on purpose?

Was that a missed shot or purposeful pass to Toews for the gamewinner?

• Yes - Nate saw Toews creepin' down the far side and made a brilliant pass.

• No - Just an uncharacteristically wild shot with a fortunate outcome

Results are only viewable after voting.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm sure if you ask MacKinnon, he'll tell you the whole world wears bifocals....but he, he's got vision.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Nate is of the school of thought that a wild shot half a second ago is better than a perfectly placed shot half a second from now. This is just the resulting puck luck you sometimes get from one player throwing the puck towards the net and another crashing the net.

Reactions: rmthomson21

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I vote yes. He knew Toews would cheat deep and he knows the boards at home. Maybe he figured he had no clean shot and no options so he threw it to the gods.

Reactions: wayninja

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
3506E5D4-92EC-47CB-A1DB-3D90F1783B42.png
CDBD864A-F770-48C3-84C7-CF3C2B854812.png
Rust 100% gets a piece of that shot which is why it goes so far wide. If you look closely at the first image you can actually see that I have no clue what I’m talking about.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think MacKinnon just tried to get the puck on net as quick as possible but didn't get a lot on it so it was slow and wide. MacKinnon rarely thinks pass from that spot and if he does, it's a cross pass.

Reactions: Hagstrom

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
No way this was planned, Nate was just trying to get a shot on net. Which is good play in a tie game with 4 mins left. He missed, got a nice deflection of the wall and Toews buried it.

This furthers the evidence that if you just get pucks towards the net, it can result in good things.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
No way he did this on purpose when it would have been a lot easier for him to hit either Bura or Toews with a cross pass.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
It was a foretaste of what is to come.

When a skill team has luck like that, they usually win the Cup.

That was immaculate reception sort of luck......

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Definitely a bit of luck, but it was also good hockey sense. IMO Mack instinctively knew if he took even a half of second more a players would end up in the shooting lane, much better to throw the puck onto the net after a broken play/scramble and see what happens than take an extra second or two to hope something else develops.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That looked like a designed play to me. Why would Toews just park himself at the side of the net if he didn't know what was gonna happen there? He's way too smart for that. He would have backed out instantly, otherwise for all he knew that shot easily could have been blocked or the rebound kicked into the slot, and now it's a 3 on 2 with Nate back, or a 2 on 1 with just Cale in a tied game late in the third. He never pinches that aggressively.

And how the hell did Nate miss the net so wide? It wasn't even close. He never misses that bad. And he had a wide open shooting lane, it's not like he was trying to thread a needle.

Reactions: wayninja and Tweaky

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
No way he did this on purpose when it would have been a lot easier for him to hit either Bura or Toews with a cross pass.

Wouldn't have been easier. There were two Pens players with their bodies and sticks on the forehand in the passing lanes to both Burakovsky and Toews.

Also when he decides to wind up for the shot, it looks like there could be 2-3 players in the shooting lane too, but then when he shoots they get out of the way to avoid the screen.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Just wanted to add that there is video evidenc3 of Makar doing this precise thing quite a bit - going back to the UMass days at minimum. And while I am nothing but a beer league player ince college, I made this 'pass' in college and in all important keg games. Was the pass directed specifically to Toews? I doubt it. Was it a purposeful attempt to put the puck at one side of the net, and the goalie on the other? I believe it was.

Also, as pointed out by @Foppa2118 , Toews would have been terribly out of position which is unlike him.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I think he doesn't miss that wildly. Sometimes you try stuff and get lucky. He's probably tried a variety of similar things that aren't noteworthy because they didn't work.

Reactions: Foppa2118

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Congratulations to 38.5% of you who correctly got the right answer. The rest of you hosers can take off.
We're up to 40.3 % perhaps the OP should have been did Nate just make a pass they practice 20 times every practice or was it just dumb luck .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad