Line Combos: Poll 2 : HF Hawks Decides - Where does Strome fit?

Where should Strome play?

• Total voters

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
This one is hard, but I’m going to say either top-6 LW spot. If Dach and Kane are together, I’m not exactly sure whether Strome or DeBrincat are better for them on the LW.

Give Strome a one year deal and see if he can make it as a top-6 winger. If not, he can leave at the end of the year and find a place where he can play a top-6 center role.

Most of us, including Musto, have a pretty hard time seeing Strome fit as a third line center. It’s basically winger or bust for him with the Hawks (he’d also fill in at center if Toews or Dach ever miss time).

Crow

May 19, 2014
3rd line center or traded in my opinion. Sucks at wing. Don’t see him improving.

Reactions: Pertti

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
3rd line center or traded in my opinion. Sucks at wing. Don’t see him improving.

He may not actually suck at wing though, and it may have more to do with him basically sulking over the move. If he can get over himself, he may be a fit.

I’d be willing to give him this year to figure it out. If he looks the same at wing, then move him.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
He may not actually suck at wing though, and it may have more to do with him basically sulking over the move. If he can get over himself, he may be a fit.

I’d be willing to give him this year to figure it out. If he looks the same at wing, then move him.
He has an opportunity this year to reinvent himself. Hope he makes the most of it.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
He doesn’t have a place honestly. We always hear about guys who have all the tools but no toolbox.

Strome is like the opposite of that. He clearly thinks the game at a high level, but his physical limitations hold him back from being a star. So I don’t know where he fits and I’m not sure the org. does either.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
On here everyone says he sucks at wing. In articles I've seen people say his advanced stats were good at wing. I dknt recall the specific games or not if there's any to see but I'm guessing they didn't score much

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He doesn’t have a place honestly. We always hear about guys who have all the tools but no toolbox.

Strome is like the opposite of that. He clearly thinks the game at a high level, but his physical limitations hold him back from being a star. So I don’t know where he fits and I’m not sure the org. does either.
It's literally one tool......his skating. If Strome wasn't an fringe level skater he'd be an absolute star. His bro Ryan has had skating issues hold him back as well. Idk how much skating is a learned skill or just straight talent. I'll ask someone who played.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
On here everyone says he sucks at wing. In articles I've seen people say his advanced stats were good at wing. I dknt recall the specific games or not if there's any to see but I'm guessing they didn't score much
If they can get Strome to buy in to being a winger I think he might be ok there. He has to accept that he can't play center in the NHL.

Reactions: ClydeLee

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Strome CHI 1920

Here's the breakdown of last year's linemates. It seemed to have stretches of good play when I see he y be at center. Only 3 games where he looks to be at wing and with Kane. If Dach was centering them.

But he definitely produced best with Kane-Cat or Kane Nylander to end the year, but that sucked in the playoffs. It does seem he had a good groove with Dach and Cat producing (but don't know how much of that was PP points) before he got hurt. Then later reconnected their Corsi was above water I think but there wasn't much scoring.

I think it could still work if he buys in. He gets to the net a lot anyway. I guess board battling is a concern but I think he still can be a solid middle ice high danger zone threat off wing.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I have never looked at advanced stats at wing. I just remember him not producing at all there and being and looking uncomfortable. I have a hard time believing it was only 3 games like you said in your follow up post, but it wouldn’t be the first time my memory failed me.

edit oh, you said 3 games with Kane. Don’t see that as that important compared to his overall production.

5v5 numbers
40 games at center 6 G 17 A
18 games at wing 2G 3A (and 3 of the points came in one game against the lowly kings)

Last edited:

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Higher end 3C. Strome has good stats at 5 v 5. With some suitably responsible wingers who can score a little, his overall scoring might dip a bit but his impact may increase.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Higher end 3C. Strome has good stats at 5 v 5. With some suitably responsible wingers who can score a little, his overall scoring might dip a bit but his impact may increase.

His expected GA is higher than his expected GF. His actual goals are better, in part because last year he and his linemates shot 13% while he was on the ice, despite a .890sv%. This year, his teammates shot 10% (still pretty high) while having on on-ice sv% of .920.

Reactions: Brightwing

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Fifth Third is starting a new 60 and over league after Covid is done.

I'm thinking he's got a shot at being a solid 2nd line center since he'll be a faster skater than at least 3 or 4 guys on the team.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
On a serious note, going to be interesting to see how a lot of guys have treated all of this off time. LOTS of time to work on things so let's see who shows up bigger faster stronger.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
On a serious note, going to be interesting to see how a lot of guys have treated all of this off time. LOTS of time to work on things so let's see who shows up bigger faster stronger.

I know quite a few are already back in Chicago. Boqvist has been back for awhile and has posted a decent amount of content involving working out (he did so in Sweden as well).

I am very interested to see if Strome has taken advantage of this time as this season is big for him.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'm keeping with my belief that he'll be with Dach, likely taking most of the faceoffs for that line, but leaving Dach a lot of the defensive responsibilities that a center has.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I know quite a few are already back in Chicago. Boqvist has been back for awhile and has posted a decent amount of content involving working out (he did so in Sweden as well).

I am very interested to see if Strome has taken advantage of this time as this season is big for him.

Yep, makes me think of that one dude from Tampa a few years ago that showed up like 30 pounds overweight and got cut?

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

According to social media he's spent the whole time hanging out with the Debrindogs.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
He is pretty young so I wonder if he lives there or is staying there till he gets his own place. A lot of the young guys do that.

He does. Debrincat is to Boqvist as Seabrook is to Dach. It's actually a nice gesture from Debrincat as he has a fiance so it's not like a young guys sharing a bachelor pad situation.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
He does. Debrincat is to Boqvist as Seabrook is to Dach. It's actually a nice gesture from Debrincat as he has a fiance so it's not like a young guys sharing a bachelor pad situation.

I would go live with Seabrook. Because of Mrs. Seabrook.

And because we'd eat BBQ and big carbs like every night!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad