Poll #1 McDavid-Eichel-Hanifin

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Eichel is on a 4 ppg pace through his first three college games. He is also the best prospect the league has seen in years. That's what people are not getting.

Thats your opinion, the experts say otherwise. McDavid is ahead of Eichel in EVERY projected draft or report. I would be interested to see one that says otherwise.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Thats your opinion, the experts say otherwise. McDavid is ahead of Eichel in EVERY projected draft or report. I would be interested to see one that says otherwise.

Every report is going to have McDavid there, solely for the fact that he's been touted as the next Crosby for the past 3/4 years. That people have recognized that Eichel is even challenging him for that top spot goes to show how close they really are. It was just this past April where the NHL scouts said they were split on Eichel and McDavid on who would go #1.

If we miss out on McDavid, but land Eichel, I will still be thrilled

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
why bother to include hanifin....
Well, the Oilers have acquired a grand total of 1 point so far. :)

It would make all the sense in the world for some other teams to tank harder this season as well.

So as bad as the Sabres have been early in the season, a top2 pick is far from guaranteed.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Well, the Oilers have acquired a grand total of 1 point so far. :)

It would make all the sense in the world for some other teams to tank harder this season as well.

So as bad as the Sabres have been early in the season, a top2 pick is far from guaranteed.

Right, but this isn't who we would want at 3 or whatever, this is who we would take if we get 1, and its clearly between Eichel or McDavid

RocSabres

Jul 21, 2014
Does anyone else want to have the 2nd pick in this years draft? If the Sabres finish last but get the 2nd overall pick Buffalo still gets a franchise prospect and there's no pressure associated with the pick? Whereas if you're picking #1 overall you have to decide between McDavid and Eichel. And assuming McDavid goes #1 and a team were to take him there's a chance Eichel who the #1 pick holder could have had turns into a better NHL player than McDavid. Not saying McDavid won't be elite but there's a chance Eichel could be even better. And looking back as a team with the number 1 overall pick you could always be asking yourself what could have been. My last point is if a team picks number 2 assuming McDavid goes first overall you pick Eichel but aren't left second guessing your pick like the 1st overall picking team may be.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Does anyone else want to have the 2nd pick in this years draft? If the Sabres finish last but get the 2nd overall pick Buffalo still gets a franchise prospect and there's no pressure associated with the pick? Whereas if you're picking #1 overall you have to decide between McDavid and Eichel. And assuming McDavid goes #1 and a team were to take him there's a chance Eichel who the #1 pick holder could have had turns into a better NHL player than McDavid. Not saying McDavid won't be elite but there's a chance Eichel could be even better. And looking back as a team with the number 1 overall pick you could always be asking yourself what could have been. My last point is if a team picks number 2 assuming McDavid goes first overall you pick Eichel but aren't left second guessing your pick like the 1st overall picking team may be.

No, you want #1. You guarantee yourself the player you covet and have as the better player. You can't survive in the business of drafting if you want somebody else to make the decision your to big of a chicken to make.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Eichel to me is actually a more exciting player to watch. I would encourage anyone who doesn't think he's close to McDavid to actually watch him. I think McD is a slightly better prospect than him though but it's close.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Both McDavid and Eichel bring something to the table that no one else in our organization has. McDavid brings an elite playmaking talent that can play fast. He makes everyone around him better and controls the puck. Reinhart is a good playmaker but can't play near as fast as McDavid nor is he as dynamic. Eichel on the other hand brings something that this organization has no one close. He is fast, big, dynamic, and has a lethal shot. Can play wing or center and bury the puck.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Too early to tell, but I will be taking in a bunch of BU games this year, and also have a trip planned up to OTT to watch the 67 plan the Otters.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

No, why would I want anyone in this org. to take the cowards option? If anyone in that scouting department feels that way fire them immediately. These guys get paid to make the right pick.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Every report is going to have McDavid there, solely for the fact that he's been touted as the next Crosby for the past 3/4 years. That people have recognized that Eichel is even challenging him for that top spot goes to show how close they really are. It was just this past April where the NHL scouts said they were split on Eichel and McDavid on who would go #1.

If we miss out on McDavid, but land Eichel, I will still be thrilled

Agreed with this.

McDavid has the huge benefit of being Canadian. That means way more exposure earlier, as well as the giant media hype machine. Put Eichel in that situation and make McDavid the American going the college route, and chances are we would have been talking about Eichel the last 4 years, and people would be debating how close McDavid is. It's just the nature of the beast--how many people even just on this board have prefaced their comments with "I've seen McDavid play more than Eichel (if at all)"?

That's not to say McDavid isn't better than Eichel, but simply that it's not a AINEC type comparison.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Agreed with this.

McDavid has the huge benefit of being Canadian. That means way more exposure earlier, as well as the giant media hype machine. Put Eichel in that situation and make McDavid the American going the college route, and chances are we would have been talking about Eichel the last 4 years, and people would be debating how close McDavid is. It's just the nature of the beast--how many people even just on this board have prefaced their comments with "I've seen McDavid play more than Eichel (if at all)"?

That's not to say McDavid isn't better than Eichel, but simply that it's not a AINEC type comparison.

This comment is saying, scouts have no idea what they are doing. Sad, I thought they did.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
If you get No. 1, you take McDavid. If you get No. 2, you take Eichel, and you're nearly as happy. It's really a win-win situation to finish dead last. Hanifin doesn't enter the conversation in either of those spots.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
McDavid, though I've come to terms with the likelihood we end up with Eichel (not disappointed).

I'd love to hear the argument from the 3 people who voted Hanifin.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Reason I threw in Hanifin was so at the end of the year we could look back and see if any of them dropped or gained from the 1st poll ... maybe Hanifin gets 12 votes on last poll instead of 2 .. maybe he's still the 3rd choice but maybe he makes the biggest gains.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
This comment is saying, scouts have no idea what they are doing. Sad, I thought they did.

I'm not talking about scouts (who like the post I quoted said are divided). I'm talking about the media and punditry driven narrative that ends up coloring the debate here.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I really like both prospects, but to say eichel's path has limited his hype is moderately disingenous. If mcdavid was playing in the usndp he would have been a 3 pt. a game player. That would have created
insane hype that Eichel's style of play didn't. Regardless of league Mcdavid's style of play was always going to make him more media friendly.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I really like both prospects, but to say eichel's path has limited his hype is moderately disingenous. If mcdavid was playing in the usndp he would have been a 3 pt. a game player. That would have created
insane hype that Eichel's style of play didn't. Regardless of league Mcdavid's style of play was always going to make him more media friendly.

You do realize that Eichel put up almost 2pts per game, leading the team in scoring last year as a 16yo playing for the U18 team that plays a mix of NCAA and USHL competition. He carried that team as a 16yo against players 4 to 6 years older than him and much better developed. He also performed much better than McDavid at the WJC.

McDavid is flashier and a slightly better skater, but its not like he destroyed the OHL last year, barely outscoring Konecny as 16yo.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
First I believe there is a significant dropoff between the ushl and the ohl. The ohl vs college is arguable to which is a better league. Not to mention McDavid's skill set would be emphasized against the slower ushl competition.

Team composition should be taken into consideration. Eichel was the focal point of his team, while McDavid had to play a secondary role to older more developed nhl prospects.

And you admit that he is the flashier player. I don't say that to say that makes him a better player in any way. I love eichel's game. The hype created by media articles was my only point. It is simply what sells better.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
This is a joke. Eichel is going to be a very good player down the road but McDavid is the best prospect the league has seen in years. I just don't understand the comparison. I'll be happy with either but I will be confident that the rebuild was a success if we get McDavid.

I think because we are likely to get Eichel some people are making themselves believe he is neck in neck with McDavid when he really isn't. He's a phenomenal talent absolutely which allows you to make some sort of argument for him, however McDavid is generational and is undoubtably a step ahead

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00