Poll #1 McDavid-Eichel-Hanifin

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
We'll see how Eichel performs when he starts playing better competition. If he continues putting up multi-point games against that better competition, then I think there's a conversation. BU's next five will be telling: vs Mich St., vs Michigan, home-and-home with Providence, at Boston College.

Both are going to put up ridiculous numbers this year. I am pumped to see the two on the same ice on New Year's Eve.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I think because we are likely to get Eichel some people are making themselves believe he is neck in neck with McDavid when he really isn't. He's a phenomenal talent absolutely which allows you to make some sort of argument for him, however McDavid is generational and is undoubtably a step ahead

Just recently, in Bob McKenzie's draft show, 3 out of the 10 scouts had Eichel at #1, so it's definitely not as wide a gap as you may believe.

Watch the video, particularly from 4:00 to 5:30.

http://www.tsn.ca/teen-titans-mcdavid-eichel-top-mckenzie-s-draft-ranking-1.83478

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
McDavid
Grigorenko
Reinhart

Our top 3 centers in 2015-2016...nastyyyyyyyyy

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I think because we are likely to get Eichel some people are making themselves believe he is neck in neck with McDavid when he really isn't. He's a phenomenal talent absolutely which allows you to make some sort of argument for him, however McDavid is generational and is undoubtably a step ahead
I don't buy this comment at all. And, separately (not directed at the quoted poster), all of the AINEC stuff is nonsense. I wonder how many saying AINEC have actually watched these two significantly. Maybe come next spring it'll be different, but right now it's very, very close. A few months ago I didn't have enough viewing time of either player to provide an intelligent assessment, but I spent this summer focusing on these two players in my free time. Video, admittedly, which isn't as good as seeing them live (but it was free!). As of today, I would take McDavid slightly over Eichel, but like I said, it's close IMO. Both are fantastic and, if we want to stick with labels, can be described as "generational" to the extent that means anything.

Furthermore, last season I spoke with two pro scouts I know and respect, which I may have mentioned on here. Both at that time would've taken Eichel straight up. Well, oddly enough I ran into one of them this past weekend in an airport and the opinion is unchanged. Like I said, right now I give a personal edge to McDavid, but both are just unbelievably talented, with a remarkable ability to make those around them better, even those they don't regularly play with. Huh? For example, Dylan Strome is a very talented kid with a great frame, and he plays on a different line, but there's no question in my mind he's seriously benefiting from having McDavid on his team, via mutual PP time, favorable matchups, opposing team game planning, etc. The name John Cullen springs to mind. Making others around them that much better is the key to these two. The constant AINEC comment is ridiculous, even if you favor McDavid, which I do at this point. Both are world class right now.

hockeyeast

Jun 23, 2009
CT
I would vote McDavid based on everything I've read and seen, although I haven't seen him in person. I did get to watch Hanafin tonight in person (UConn beat BC 1-0!) and he's pretty impressive - NHL-sized, smooth skating, fast, poised, skilled, etc. etc. Granted he was playing against UConn (which is in its first year in Hockey East) - but he looked like Bobby Orr out there at times :)

We'll have to wait and see how he plays against stronger competition. But based on what I saw I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a top pairing D in the NHL in a few years.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I would vote McDavid based on everything I've read and seen, although I haven't seen him in person. I did get to watch Hanafin tonight in person (UConn beat BC 1-0!) and he's pretty impressive - NHL-sized, smooth skating, fast, poised, skilled, etc. etc. Granted he was playing against UConn (which is in its first year in Hockey East) - but he looked like Bobby Orr out there at times :)

We'll have to wait and see how he plays against stronger competition. But based on what I saw I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a top pairing D in the NHL in a few years.

Eichel vs Hanifin Part I is this weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad