Post-Game Talk: Politicians at The Can | Stranger wants a beatdown. More at 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Hard to say what will happen with Barrie by looking at how he plays now.

EJ is finally getting it at 25 yrs old and Barrie is only 22.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hard to say what will happen with Barrie by looking at how he plays now.

EJ is finally getting it at 25 yrs old and Barrie is only 22.

Barrie was never projected as a 2 way defender though. He was primarily and offensive, PMD.
It took EJ all this time to figure it out and he was supposed to be strong defensively. I would assume it would take longer for a smaller, offensive minded Barrie to figure it out.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Uploaded OT. Great shift by Avs, creating three scoring chances in half a minute.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
I genuinly thought the Avs were done when there was 10 minutes to go and Ottawa was controlling the play. The last 5 minutes were awesome. That Landy rush reminded me of the one in Buffalo 2 years ago.

I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe it was mentioned, but this was interesting in light of Duchene's pregame interview with Marc Moser ... the first (maybe only) thing Duchene said about the Ottawa game was that the Senators hadn't been here in CO in a few years, and he was banking on the altitude getting to them. That's how it played out, maybe? Duchene and MacKinnon may not have scored, but they sure made the Sens chase them around for a while. I think they wore 'em down.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So I guess the fact that Barrie hasn't played a full season can't be used for comparisons sake? Last year, had it been a full 82 game season, and had Barrie played all 82 games, he was on pace for 33 points. As a rookie. Just because a player is brought along at a different pace doesn't mean much. When Barrie finally gets a chance to just play through the growing pains, instead of being scratched every little mistake he makes, he'll put up 35ish points. And as a 22 year old, he has A LOT of room to grow. At both ends of the ice. Is he going to be a 50 point defenseman? Nah, doubtful. But 40 isn't out of the question. This is why people think you have a massive personal problem with him. He's already the best he'll be at 22 years old and with a whole 69 games experience. Most of us are willing to let him grow and learn and improve. But if he has no chance of getting better, guess we may as well dump him for a 3rd or 4th rounder :shakehead

And this is why the same people that don't see his mistakes, are the same people that think I only criticize him and have a problem with him. You see what you want to see quite frankly.

At least two posts in this thread that I recall, and pretty much every time I talk about him, I say his potential is a 40 point JM Liles player. I view that as his ceiling.

Don't worry about what I actually said though, it's much more fun to say I have a personal problem with him and want to trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Not so sure the altitude in Denver has ever really been an advantage for the Avs. Many of them don't live/train there in the offseason.

Sure it is, they've been here for months and are much more acclimated to it. It takes several days to a week, the road team doesn't have that kind of time. Players have said how they can get so exhausted they just hit a wall playing at altitude. Most of the Denver/Colorado teams that have had success were the ones who got the other team running after them late in a game. A team like Ottawa who hadn't been here in years and probably several players who had never been here don't know how their body is going to respond are at a disadvantage. A team like Minnesota is much more used to it and will know how to prepare.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
:facepalm: Can't believe we lost to Calgary. They were shut out by the Yotes and is being shut out again through 2 periods tonight. We're literally the only team they've scored against in the year 2014, not to mention they were shut out 3 of the past 4 games they played before they played the Avs.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
:facepalm: Can't believe we lost to Calgary. They were shut out by the Yotes and is being shut out again through 2 periods tonight. We're literally the only team they've scored against in the year 2014, not to mention they were shut out 3 of the past 4 games they played before they played the Avs.

Thats usually how it works :laugh: we play great against the good teams and get beat up by the scrubs(Oilers,Flames,etc). Maybe too confident?

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Thats usually how it works :laugh: we play great against the good teams and get beat up by the scrubs(Oilers,Flames,etc). Maybe too confident?

I think we are just young. We will/should learn how to lay better in those kind of situations IMO.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Karma. It was bound to happen. 1 goal in 4 games, they were going to get the bounces and they did. Also didn't help it was after the big win and Avs had beat Calgary less than a month prior. I don't think it's overconfidence as much as not getting emotionally high for every game, it's impossible. Total trap game. It sucks but that's sports. Good teams learn how to mitigate it more often but it happens to everyone.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
We got what, 9 points this homestand with one game left? I'm satisfied. Of all the teams to lose to, Calgary is probably the most sting. But, we did beat San Jose. Beat the Isles and I'll be extremely pleased.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC

Or you could focus on the positives and see that we are the only team to beat Philly in their last 8 games and the first to beat Ottawa in 5 games. :dunno:

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site

Every team loses to bad teams. Anaheim got beat by Florida and New Jersey and some middle of the road teams.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Just watched the last five minutes of the game (+ OT and three stars). WOW, that was amazing. Huge plays, lots of pressure and the way they celebrated after the goals really shows how much they wanted to win it! A shame I couldn't watch it live.

I'm really in love with this team and I hope we can keep as many of the players around as possible, including Barrie. He's so good on the puck and I feel he could still improve everything about his game as time goes on. I would really be sad if he was traded.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Just watched the last five minutes of the game (+ OT and three stars). WOW, that was amazing. Huge plays, lots of pressure and the way they celebrated after the goals really shows how much they wanted to win it! A shame I couldn't watch it live.

I'm really in love with this team and I hope we can keep as many of the players around as possible, including Barrie. He's so good on the puck and I feel he could still improve everything about his game as time goes on. I would really be sad if he was traded.

There's a camera angle that shows Benoit after Stastny scored to tie it and he literally explodes and jumps into the air with his arms raised. It's awesome.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Hey guys. Oilers fan here. I know the Avs have a lot of good centres with Duchene, O'Rielly,Stasn, and Mack, who are all natural centres. Are you guys satisfied with moving a few of them to the wings, or is there one of them who is the odd C out? Is there a trade to be made between our teams? What would you guys want in return?

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
There's a camera angle that shows Benoit after Stastny scored to tie it and he literally explodes and jumps into the air with his arms raised. It's awesome.

Yep! Absolutely loved it! Especially the tying goal and the celebration gave me goosebumps.

Can't wait for the Islanders game. Sucks that I'm back in Germany, though. Back to watching hockey in the middle of the night.

@Shanahanigans: Personally, and I think most Avs fans share this opinion, I'd love to keep them all around. Would only want to trade one of Stastny or Radar if there are no reasonable contract extensions to be worked out.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yep! Absolutely loved it! Especially the tying goal and the celebration gave me goosebumps.

Can't wait for the Islanders game. Sucks that I'm back in Germany, though. Back to watching hockey in the middle of the night.

@Shanahanigans: Personally, and I think most Avs fans share this opinion, I'd love to keep them all around. Would only want to trade one of Stastny or Radar if there are no reasonable contract extensions to be worked out.

Yeah, if we're forced to move one I'd look for a first and a good dman prospect for staz like the standard rental deal, or a comparable defender for ROR.

So something like O'Reilly and a third liner from Nashville to Edmonton, Eberle and Gagner to the Preds, and Josi our way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad