Speculation: POLE: What does McLoed sign for / get awarded?

What does McLoed sign for / get awarded?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think its 2. If I wanted to be right, I’d have gone 2-2.25, but since I want 1.75-2.00 to be right I voted for that. Hopefully its not a dollar over 2.
I'd love if we could get 2 years at 1.8

I know that in arbitration, it can be 1 or 2 years, and depending on circumstances, the player or the team gets to pick. Does anyone know if the Oilers get to pick the term?

Reactions: Duke74 and subnet

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Shouldn't have qualified McLeod.

He would have seen the offers were around 1M on the open market then signed with the Oilers for 1.25M.

That or we could have signed another player for 1.25M.

Reactions: Duke74

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Tough situation, this team is in a window where they need to go for it, could likely add 2 players for what McLeods cap hit could be, not to mention the asset coming back from a McLeod trade.
Instead we have no choice but to sit and watch while affordable UFA players are available for little cost. Pretending McLeod is some up-and-coming player. I don't even think of McLeod as a center. He isn't a third-line center on a Stanley Cup team.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Tough situation, this team is in a window where they need to go for it, could likely add 2 players for what McLeods cap hit could be, not to mention the asset coming back from a McLeod trade.
yes we could add two league min players. I don't think it's worth it to give up on one of our more promising young players. We have a badly rated prospect pool. As for trading McLeod, it's again disappointing if we take a draft pick that actual hit and replace him with some picks that likely won't.

We have to go for it, but we need to set up our future as well, unless of course we've already given up hope of re-signing McDavid and Draisaitl and NEED to win in 2-3 years. But even then, if we are going for it, I'd almost prefer that we really push that at the deadline. Sure adding good veterans is important, but more and more it's a league about youth and skating. If McLeod puts all the pieces together he'd quickly become worth much more than 2 million.

I just have memory of what McLeod was in last year's playoffs. This year, he was worse but also coming back from injury. I say he's a smart bet. I know that same philosophy is why we kept JP and Yamamoto last year, but just because it didn't work then, doesn't mean we should give up on that process now. Again, we want a healthy youth movement, not just to win in the future but also today

Reactions: Faelko

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My take as well. Would we be a worse team with Pius Suter and Toews, Tatar or Dumba? I don't think so. If we add a 2nd from a poor team that could be great currency at the deadline or part of package to add a core piece on D.

Reactions: Duke74 and Faelko

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
This is a tough one. I think he still has a lot to show. However, he’s not quite there, or wasn’t.

My pole, poll, poele, powl, vote is around $2MM. He’ll get more than he serves IMHO but I still want to keep him and hope everything about him is legit. Plus, he doesn’t have a good flow but does have a gap-toothed smile so he has that going for him!

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Shouldn't have qualified McLeod.

He would have seen the offers were around 1M on the open market then signed with the Oilers for 1.25M.

That or we could have signed another player for 1.25M.

Mcleod easily gets 2M a year for multiple year on the open market, probably closer to 2.5-2.75M

• Wow

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Mcleod easily gets 2M a year for multiple year on the open market, probably closer to 2.5-2.75M
Then trade him. I'm not a fan of McLeod. And it isn't because he's holding the Oilers hostage.

I've never liked the player. I don't understand what people see in him.

He can't play center and he's not physical. I wouldn't call him skilled either. He's a fast perimeter player, that's about it.

Last edited:

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
I really wonder who you are actually a fan of? Say hi to Winny the poo, Piglet, tigger, and Rabbit for me…

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
My take as well. Would we be a worse team with Pius Suter and Toews, Tatar or Dumba? I don't think so. If we add a 2nd from a poor team that could be great currency at the deadline or part of package to add a core piece on D.
Dumba shouldn't be on that list as he is still in his prime and will sign for multiple millions. If we offer him 1 million or whatever, and he takes it, sure that would be nice, but I soooo doubt that's on the table.

Anyway, I'd MUCH rather have McLeod than any of those names. I know there is risk with McLeod, but our team has too many older forwards who will be on the decline within a couple seasons. We need young, exciting players like McLeod who will grow to replace guys like RNH, Hyman, Kane. Taking out McLeod for some very short term options is uninspiring to me. As much risk as McLeod has, with his tools there is also great opportunity that he could be much better than we expect. We can't just say "we have Holloway and Bourgault for that", as then we NEED those two to hit on their potential. Trading off McLeod over a couple 100k would be a strong statement that we are giving up on a healthy youth movement on this team. Great teams out there try to foster youth, not just for the future but because you NEED to have high quality young players to win in this league.

I'm not totally tied to keeping McLeod at all costs, because I know that the cap has that consequence. Bouchard is closer to a sure thing than McLeod is, and so we need to make sure we get that player right. Also, I do see the appeal of being able to ice a full lineup, and I have said that I want our team to be #1 in the division this year. Putting all these handicaps on the team makes that hard.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Dumba shouldn't be on that list as he is still in his prime and will sign for multiple millions. If we offer him 1 million or whatever, and he takes it, sure that would be nice, but I soooo doubt that's on the table.

Anyway, I'd MUCH rather have McLeod than any of those names. I know there is risk with McLeod, but our team has too many older forwards who will be on the decline within a couple seasons. We need young, exciting players like McLeod who will grow to replace guys like RNH, Hyman, Kane. Taking out McLeod for some very short term options is uninspiring to me. As much risk as McLeod has, with his tools there is also great opportunity that he could be much better than we expect. We can't just say "we have Holloway and Bourgault for that", as then we NEED those two to hit on their potential. Trading off McLeod over a couple 100k would be a strong statement that we are giving up on a healthy youth movement on this team. Great teams out there try to foster youth, not just for the future but because you NEED to have high quality young players to win in this league.

I'm not totally tied to keeping McLeod at all costs, because I know that the cap has that consequence. Bouchard is closer to a sure thing than McLeod is, and so we need to make sure we get that player right. Also, I do see the appeal of being able to ice a full lineup, and I have said that I want our team to be #1 in the division this year. Putting all these handicaps on the team makes that hard.
1 of those players sure. 2 of those guys + getting a 2nd round pick for instance? I'm going with that. McLeod is a good player but hasn't shown enough to make me think that he replaces any of the guys that you've listed above's offensive contributions. I see him as a 2 way 3C going forward.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'd love if we could get 2 years at 1.8

I know that in arbitration, it can be 1 or 2 years, and depending on circumstances, the player or the team gets to pick. Does anyone know if the Oilers get to pick the term?
The Oilers get to pick the term.

is it is over 2.5 do we walk away from it?
It has to be over $4.5M. Seems pretty safe that it won't be.

If he gets over $2.5M then he is in serious danger of pricing himself off the team. That said I don't see anyway he gets that. He may get $2.2M and that may also price him off the team.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

If he gets over $2.5M then he is in serious danger of pricing himself off the team. That said I don't see anyway he gets that. He may get $2.2M and that may also price him off the team.
It's team option on the term because McLeod filed? 1.75M x 2 is the maximum he's worth. 1.5M for one year.

You seem to have 2.5M in mind as the upper price point. That number really sucks. At that number he's priced himself into being a negative value asset.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

That is exactly why I think he’ll take their best and last offer before going to arbitration.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I wonder if McLeod and his agent are looking at the Yamamoto/Puljujarvi contracts and pushing for something close to $3 million. I really hope that we aren't forced into repeating the same stupid mistake of overpaying for mediocre players. The problem is that even if we want to trade him, too high of a price point will turn him into a negative asset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad