Speculation: POLE: What does McLoed sign for / get awarded?

What does McLoed sign for / get awarded?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's team option on the term because McLeod filed? 1.75M x 2 is the maximum he's worth. 1.5M for one year.

You seem to have 2.5M in mind as the upper price point. That number really sucks. At that number he's priced himself into being a negative value asset.
Personally I think $2 years at @$1.75M would be a smart move for McLeod. But I doubt he takes that. Much more and I think he really needs to up his game or next year he will be a cap casualty.

If he takes $2M+ this year and struggles, he could find himself scrambling for a job next year.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I wonder if McLeod and his agent are looking at the Yamamoto/Puljujarvi contracts and pushing for something close to $3 million. I really hope that we aren't forced into repeating the same stupid mistake of overpaying for mediocre players. The problem is that even if we want to trade him, too high of a price point will turn him into a negative asset.
Both of those guys had much better records than McLeod. But there is also a lesson for him. JP may be out of the NHL and Yamamoto is back to $1.5M on a one year deal. Given Seattle's depth on RW, Yamamoto might end up not even getting qualified at that number if he ends up playing 3rd/4th line minutes.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Personally I think $2 years at @$1.75M would be a smart move for McLeod. But I doubt he takes that. Much more and I think he really needs to up his game or next year he will be a cap casualty.

If he takes $2M+ this year and struggles, he could find himself scrambling for a job next year.
I'm guessing this contract will be McLeod's last as an Oiler. And it's his own doing, not management's for giving him a bloated deal.

Go through with the arbitration process. Do not capitulate.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The Oilers get to pick the term.

It has to be over $4.5M. Seems pretty safe that it won't be.

If he gets over $2.5M then he is in serious danger of pricing himself off the team. That said I don't see anyway he gets that. He may get $2.2M and that may also price him off the team.
we have the Bouchard contract and that is where the concern comes for me

Reactions: Duke74

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
we have the Bouchard contract and that is where the concern comes for me
imo the Bouchard deal is the most important focus of the entire offseason. The Brown addition was good too, but especially the structure of it was to facilitate the Bouchard deal.

I figure the main focus has to be to make that deal at least 2 years long. 1 year long, and that is a fail, just because we will have the Brown cap overage during that 2nd year so I'd rather we didnt have to figure that offseason with no space and have to re-sign Bouchard. Of course the longer the better because of the looming extensions for Draisaitl and then McDavid, but I don't think 4 years is realistic for a Bouchard deal. Would be nice though.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
IMG_9203.jpeg

Congrats to all those who guessed correctly!

Reactions: Faelko and McDoused

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
So I like Ryan McLeod quite a bit, and I’m glad we got this done for 2 years, but why is 23p in 57 games worth $2.1m? Jesse and Kailer for similar production got like $1.2m a few years ago.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What do we win?

The satisfaction of a guess well done and 3 all expense paid nights @bellagiobob house.

So I like Ryan McLeod quite a bit, and I’m glad we got this done for 2 years, but why is 23p in 57 games worth $2.1m? Jesse and Kailer for similar production got like $1.2m a few years ago.

They didn’t have arbitration rights when they signed their deals. Essentially it’s about 100k a point, in PJ and Yamos arb year they signed for 3 mil (and 3.1) each.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad