Confirmed with Link: Polak suspended two games for boarding

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
surprised that anyone's surprised about this suspension, very avoidable and very dangerous hit and Polak hit right through the numbers. I guess the league's inconsistency is frustrating, but I think this is the type of hit we want taken out of the game as a team with some young superstar talent. If that was Radko Gudas on Mitch Marner we'd be glad there was a suspension

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I was of the opinion last night that he was trying to get alongside of him and then Bjorkstrand turned. Replays from the Columbus feed, from a different angle, show it to be more vicious than I thought. Definitely worth the 5 + match. The 2 games seems a excessive, though, given the importance of the games and that Polak has no history. The league is ridiculously inconsistent on these calls. Fortunately for us, it's Polak, who Marchenko should be able to replace easily. Watch us get called on like 8 penalties the next two games and our PK suffer...:laugh:

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Is this Bjerkstrand injured? If not, he keeps playing like that, he won't have a long career. I've kind of wanted to see Nylander a little more physical, and was actually impressed that last game. But I don't want him getting killed because he doesn't know how to play the boards.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
And I, in turn, don't agree with this. Polak should have known for a long time (relatively) that it would be a borderline situation. That's the kind of situation, with the risks involved, where you simply let up.

I also feel that the "turned into it"-argument gets a bit overdone at times. Bjorkstrand reverses the puck while cycling. At times it feels like if a lot of posters got their way, players could only pass the way they are skating when along the boards or it's their own fault if they get boarded. I really don't agree with that.
I don't agree with your disagreement. They were both skating in the same direction and if Bjorkstrand continues he wouldn't have got hit or a the very least with much less force than he did. He did turn at the last millisecond. The idea of seeing the numbers is when you are going directly into the boards and I agree you don't hit someone with that force in those circumstances. As for cycling, it goes on a lot in every game and when you run out of room i.e. the boards or another player the cycle is over unless you have enough open ice to reverse yourself.That certainly wasn't the case in this instance. I played at 5'8" 125 pounds as a 17 year old in a very physical league. The first thing my coach taught me was how and how not to, go into the boards. When I got older and coached this is also the first thing I taught.

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
A lot of the comments on Facebook are saying that the Blue Jackets turn into hits like that intentionally to draw penalties. Maybe someone who watches them more regularly can speak on that.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I just don't get how the DoPS can be so inconsistent. In the past 10 games I've seen more than a handful of crosschecks to the back by leafs or on leafs that were not even a penalty and a lot worse than the Polak hit.

Again as others noted, Bjorkstrand pumped the brakes to turn back putting himself in a vulnerable position while Polak was coming in for a hit.

Between the bad video replay calls on goalie interference, head shot suspensions and these type of suspensions, I really wonder if the NHL just wings it on standards, and processes. The amount of inconsistency tells me they are winging it. The NHL consistently gets in their own way, and it's like watching awkward comedy.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Two games because the guy turns at the last second?

Exactly! This seems like a makeup call/suspension for the hit made by Soshnikov against Boston!

I've seen much worse not even get penalized never mind garner a suspension!

Boston bias? Not sure of that!

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't agree with your disagreement. They were both skating in the same direction and if Bjorkstrand continues he wouldn't have got hit or a the very least with much less force than he did. He did turn at the last millisecond.

My point was that even if things went the way Polak wanted, he was putting himself in a situation where it's 50-50 that he gets him legally.

As for turning, you're missing my point. Sure, if Bjorkstrand continued he would not have been as vulnerable, but his primary point of concern must be making a hockey play, and not protecting himself from questionable hits. He must be allowed the opportunity to reverse the cycle without it meaning it's open season to board him. I think he had enough separation to do the reverse, so I don't agree with you there.

There's absolutely no reason for Polak to continue a hit that, even before OB turns, is a high risk play. He can let up, and it won't cost him anything. There's a very good reason for OB to turn, as reversing the cycle is the right play to maintain possession and create offense.

If this kind of hit is acceptable just because the player turned to reverse the puck, then we are taking a basic play out of hockey just because people can't control their aggression in 50-50 situations.

There's a time to mention people that turn, but this is not one of them. Polak was scrambling to keep up, and was even before the turn heading for a hit into the numbers. It's a bit different if the D-man is lining up a perfectly legal hit and get it disappear on him in the last second. Polak was already heading quickly into bad territory.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I just don't get how the DoPS can be so inconsistent. In the past 10 games I've seen more than a handful of crosschecks to the back by leafs or on leafs that were not even a penalty and a lot worse than the Polak hit.

Again as others noted, Bjorkstrand pumped the brakes to turn back putting himself in a vulnerable position while Polak was coming in for a hit.

Between the bad video replay calls on goalie interference, head shot suspensions and these type of suspensions, I really wonder if the NHL just wings it on standards, and processes. The amount of inconsistency tells me they are winging it. The NHL consistently gets in their own way, and it's like watching awkward comedy.

You're going to get big inconsistency issues if you take injury into the decision making process in a big way

I don't mind the suspension but the Soshnikov hit should also have garnered a suspension

The end result should not have this much bearing on punishment

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
My point was that even if things went the way Polak wanted, he was putting himself in a situation where it's 50-50 that he gets him legally.

As for turning, you're missing my point. Sure, if Bjorkstrand continued he would not have been as vulnerable, but his primary point of concern must be making a hockey play, and not protecting himself from questionable hits. He must be allowed the opportunity to reverse the cycle without it meaning it's open season to board him. I think he had enough separation to do the reverse, so I don't agree with you there.

There's absolutely no reason for Polak to continue a hit that, even before OB turns, is a high risk play. He can let up, and it won't cost him anything. There's a very good reason for OB to turn, as reversing the cycle is the right play to maintain possession and create offense.

If this kind of hit is acceptable just because the player turned to reverse the puck, then we are taking a basic play out of hockey just because people can't control their aggression in 50-50 situations.

There's a time to mention people that turn, but this is not one of them. Polak was scrambling to keep up, and was even before the turn heading for a hit into the numbers. It's a bit different if the D-man is lining up a perfectly legal hit and get it disappear on him in the last second. Polak was already heading quickly into bad territory.

I completely disagree with all of your points to be honest but that's what makes sports great.People have different opinions and that's okay.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If you want to get hits like his out of the game you teach players not to turn into the hit....as well as this was not even worth a penalty as there was very little separation between the player and the boards....it was simply a hard hit.

There is difference in turning your back to draw a penality and turning to avoid the defender, the guy with the puck is allowed to try to avoid the defender as long as he is not turning his back to draw a penality.

It was in every sense of the word a penality, the 5 min and game misconduct was enough. Refs dont see it your way nor does the league

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
He got tunnel vision and decided to run his man numbers first into the boards. He earned every minute and cent of that suspension. Luckily it didn't cost us the game, hopefully the team keeps up the recent success without him.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
If any of out defense go down tonight I'd rather give Dermott a shot then play Marincin for next game.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Two things.
First off, if I remember correctly a match penalty USB an amount hearing and pretty much guaranteed a suspended. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Secondly, that explaination is garbage in my opinion. He clearly changed his movement as Polak was in motion and would have caught him regardless. Whoever is in charge at the DOPS needs to listen to what they said and watch the feet of the Columbus player and where Polak was.
At least we can be happy it's only 2 games and not more and pray the injury isn't something severe and for a speedy recovery.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Two things.
First off, if I remember correctly a match penalty USB an amount hearing and pretty much guaranteed a suspended. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Secondly, that explaination is garbage in my opinion. He clearly changed his movement as Polak was in motion and would have caught him regardless. Whoever is in charge at the DOPS needs to listen to what they said and watch the feet of the Columbus player and where Polak was.
At least we can be happy it's only 2 games and not more and pray the injury isn't something severe and for a speedy recovery.

only if it's in-person is a suspension guaranteed

also if it's their 3rd game misconduct i think

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I completely disagree with all of your points to be honest but that's what makes sports great.People have different opinions and that's okay.

I completely disagree as well. If I'm a marginal player, I'm going to intentionally try to hurt players in the boards. Come the playoffs, or heck even in the regular season, if I can intentionally hurt a better player, you go for it. It's better to be a fined NHLer, then a bus riding over-aged player in the minors. Eye-gouges, cross checks to the neck, boarding, spearing, elbows to the head... whatever it takes. Players have to be prepared for that.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I completely disagree as well. If I'm a marginal player, I'm going to intentionally try to hurt players in the boards. Come the playoffs, or heck even in the regular season, if I can intentionally hurt a better player, you go for it. It's better to be a fined NHLer, then a bus riding over-aged player in the minors. Eye-gouges, cross checks to the neck, boarding, spearing, elbows to the head... whatever it takes. Players have to be prepared for that.

Considering the bolded, I think I'll wear it as a mark of pride that you disagree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad