Confirmed with Link: Polak and Spaling to San Jose for Torres and 2nd round picks (2017&2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The rules are/were pretty clear cut and dry. It sucks and even Shanahan admitted that his timing was super bad but it is what it is.

You never know - the league penalized Lou's Devils a 1st round pick and he talked his way back into having the 30th overall.

I'm hoping he can do the same here - especially since there seemed to be near league wide consensus that the rule was absurd, hence its quick removal.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You never know - the league penalized Lou's Devils a 1st round pick and he talked his way back into having the 30th overall.

I'm hoping he can do the same here - especially since there seemed to be near league wide consensus that the rule was absurd, hence its quick removal.

Simple to remedy. Just award teams owed picks 91st or 91st and 92nd etc. it's not hard to fix that mistake.

DWest89

May 15, 2015
1/2 right.

You can use another teams 3rd rounder ONLY if it is earlier than Leaf own as compensation. However why would the Leafs do that?

It would make more sense to use the earlier pick themselves and give away their own as compensation.

Leafs getting another 3rd themselves later on (SJ pick) after their own would ease the pain of giving up their own pick a little.

Leafs own pick this year is #91 (1st pick of the 3rd round so there isn't any 3rd round picks possible to come before) so we are talking 2017 and 2018 for Babs and Lou Lam.

Seems to be a rule commonly misunderstood. You explained it perfectly. We won't be using the extra third round for compensation, but it'll definitely help lessen the blow when we give up our third next year.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
1/2 right.

You can use another teams 3rd rounder ONLY if it is earlier than Leaf own as compensation. However why would the Leafs do that?

It would make more sense to use the earlier pick themselves and give away their own as compensation.

Leafs getting another 3rd themselves later on (SJ pick) after their own would ease the pain of giving up their own pick a little.

Leafs own pick this year is #91 (1st pick of the 3rd round so there isn't any 3rd round picks possible to come before) so we are talking 2017 and 2018 for Babs and Lou Lam.

Can you supply a link which states the compensation third must be earlier than the team 's own pick? Thanks in advance.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I mean Lamoriello got out of his 1st round pick loss penalty from the Kovalchuk signing debacle... So I guess he could get out of it.

My impression is that the new owners of the Devils were the ones who worked the deal of getting the 30th place pick (non-tradeable). At least, that's how I've usually heard it related.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
Yeah I don't get why the league doesn't just create supplementary picks to compensate teams that are still owed picks... There are probably not even that many teams (NJ, Detroit, Vancouver off the top of my head) that need to be compensated. Just create an extra pick at the end of the round and give them to each team.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Yeah I don't get why the league doesn't just create supplementary picks to compensate teams that are still owed picks... There are probably not even that many teams (NJ, Detroit, Vancouver off the top of my head) that need to be compensated. Just create an extra pick at the end of the round and give them to each team.

So every NHL team should pay for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad