Pokemon Thread #25 - A new Tera

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I loved Gen 4 so I'm obviously excited about this.

Pokemon Legends look interesting but it seems like it's just one big wild area and you have to catch all the pokemon to fill the dex. So it doesn't seem interesting at all. I'm liking the idea of them trying something different though.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Pokemon Platinum is a top 5 game of all time that I've played. It was the first pokemon game that I completed all by myself and I can't tell you how many hours I spent playing it with my friend. I've Gen 4 remakes for so long and now we get at the end of the year :nod:

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I loved Gen 4 so I'm obviously excited about this.

Pokemon Legends look interesting but it seems like it's just one big wild area and you have to catch all the pokemon to fill the dex. So it doesn't seem interesting at all. I'm liking the idea of them trying something different though.
For me it is the idea of cross gen starters that is interesting, which to me is kind of the first step towards a larger map including more than one generation. But it does feel kind of like just a tech demo in its initial presentation. We'll see though, plenty of time for them to flesh out the concept before release.

Reactions: JWK and robertmac43

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Pokemon Platinum is a top 5 game of all time that I've played. It was the first pokemon game that I completed all by myself and I can't tell you how many hours I spent playing it with my friend. I've Gen 4 remakes for so long and now we get at the end of the year :nod:

I also love Platinum...I replayed it about 6 months ago..Tho not sure if I'd pick Diamond or Pearl for the remake...

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Meh, still underwhelming when you consider what the Switch is capable of. Gamefreak just isn't a very good developer.

5mufdkskzuj61.png

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Appreciate the return of the top down style. Wasn't crazy about DPP but if they can make a strong showing with enough quality added features the way they did with Heartgold and SoulSilver I might pick it up.

Legends looks uncompelling just as a concept but also some of the gameplay/animation they showed was extremely choppy.

Reactions: robertmac43

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
While I agree with the above about the choppy frame rates and the bare world and Gamefreak not exactly being a great developer... I do think it's a step in the right direction for what I'd like to see from a Pokemon video game. Given Pokemon games in recent years are being developed by not-Gamefreak with the most recent one now being the main-title games... that's also a step in the right direction.

Now I understand Pokemon Legends Arceus is developed by Gamefreak but I guess I'm learning to understand how Gamefreak improves the franchise at a glacial pace so while the trailer didn't blow me away, it was a nice step in the right (for me) direction. Now we just need to wait for Gamefreak to get better as a developer or the stakeholders to get impatient and pass it off to a developer who can do a good job. I'm fine with either one.

Reactions: wingsnut19

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What generations would you say had universal acclaim?

I feel like there is a pattern after Gen 2 where at release fans bitch about the current Gen only to change their minds in a few years thinking it's actually the best.

I definitely recall this with Gen 3 and 4.

Also I hope Mega evolutions come back in the Sinnoh remakes. Z moves and Dynamax never lived up to it as a feature.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

I feel like there is a pattern after Gen 2 where at release fans bitch about the current Gen only to change their minds in a few years thinking it's actually the best.

Also I hope Mega evolutions come back in the Sinnoh remakes. Z moves and Dynamax never lived up to it as a feature.

Gen 4 is as close as you can get to "universal acclaim", but that's only if you want to exclude Diamond and Pearl, which have aged horrendously.

But that stretch where the 4 consecutive games released were Platinum, HG/SS, B/W, B2/W2 was definitely the peak of the series, even though a ton of normie media hated Gen 5 for some reason. Gun to my head, I prefer Gen 4 to Gen 5 primarily because the competitive scene wasn't littered with weather teams.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

HG/SS are really damn good.

Also we call this the "Zelda cycle".

As for me, I've hated gen 3 ever since I played it and that opinion will never change.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Gen 4 is as close as you can get to "universal acclaim", but that's only if you want to exclude Diamond and Pearl, which have aged horrendously.

But that stretch where the 4 consecutive games released were Platinum, HG/SS, B/W, B2/W2 was definitely the peak of the series, even though a ton of normie media hated Gen 5 for some reason. Gun to my head, I prefer Gen 4 to Gen 5 primarily because the competitive scene wasn't littered with weather teams.
I didn't and still don't like Gen 5.

Unova is an absolute eyesore from trying to push the DS capabilities as far as they could go to pretty crap result and even though I've warmed up to a lot of em, the new mon designs were the worst of the series. Gym leaders were forgettable. Story was solid but overrated in my opinion.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
That's about how I feel about Gen 5. I was hyped for it before it came out and then you get your hands on it and it just kind of fell flat for me, but maybe its because it came after a generation that I absolutely loved and knew it was going to be hard to live up to.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I stopped playing at the Gold/Silver/Crystal games and came back around the time of Pokemon Go, took another break and came back for Pokemon Lets Go and then Pokemon Sword.

While I'm sure the remakes are disappointing to some and the art style was disappointing to me at first... the more I think about it the more I do think I'll enjoy it as kind of a blend of the old Gameboy art style along with the advancements in time of quality and pixel counts.

I'm still most excited about Pokemon Legends but I'll definitely get the remake as I never played Diamond and Pearl. It will be fun to see what I missed and I can't really justify spending money on a handheld and a game. I'll hold out for remakes and ports.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
HG/SS are the gold standard for me.

Took the best games in the series and gave them updated graphics and music. You can’t beat that imo.

Think that's a bit of an understatement actually. All the remakes do that. HG/SS succeeds by being an actual improvement over its predecessor while retaining the heart and spirit of the games and adding in new things to do that are actually fun to play. And more than that, functionally it's better than most of the non-remake games in the series. It's aesthetically pleasing, feels modern while staying tight and focused in the gameplay and progression. I mean I'd so much rather play HG/SS than D/P/P. If I'm being honest I'd rather play them over any other version in the series.

FR/LG was basically just a GBA coat of paint and very minor musical upgrade with nothing more it expanded on than moves from Gen 2 and 3, a few other minor mechanics from past games and some forgettable and unrewarding islands you can visit with a handful of non-Kanto pokemon to catch. People complain about the laziness of Sw/Sh but I think FR/LG is the laziest entry in the series by far. I mean you can't remake the most basic game in the series and only add a crap battle tower, the sevii islands, and updated moves and really justify the effort.

OR/AS was an example of taking changes and improvements a few steps too far. I felt like they were decently faithful to the originals but somehow ended up losing a lot of R/S/E's charm along the way. It was kind of amusing to me but also a bit of a bummer to compare my playtimes on my 3ds where I sank something like 470 hours into Y version, 250 into Moon, and only 33 into Alpha Sapphire. Maybe part of it was Pokemon burnout but as I made my way through the game I just kinda stopped wanting to finish it.

Like you said HG/SS are the gold standard. I really hope they try to play to its strengths in the Gen 4 remake. But really D/P/P was the most ehhh, not great, not bad, I guess good entry in the series so they'll have to try to mimic HG/SS's strengths while making D/P/P more interesting and memorable. Feels like a tall order.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad