Pokemon Thread #25 - A new Tera

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah I created a new account to have a new play through and I’ve had my same team since before the first gym. It’s Grookey, Ralts, Hitmonlee, Gyrados, Trapinch, and Flareon. Now they’re all level 60 and I’m at the 6th or 7th gym but it’s awesome some of the ones you can get early on.

I was watching a youtube video on getting dittos and the guy was saying you can have a full Evee team before the first gym if you wanted due to the early appearance of the Pokemon, plus the day care center in the wild area. Wild Stuff.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I was watching a youtube video on getting dittos and the guy was saying you can have a full Evee team before the first gym if you wanted due to the early appearance of the Pokemon, plus the day care center in the wild area. Wild Stuff.
Yep sounds about right. Eevees come VERY early. Only problem would be getting the stones but the digging brothers would probably help with that.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
So there are definitely not exclusive fossils. I've been getting all of them from the diggers.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Would someone be able to trade me a Sobble? It can be a level 1 breaded one with nothing special.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
For sure the last shiny I try to get at least until I get the shiny charm. That turned into a massive pain in the ass. And the little guy is still gonna need a fair amount of grinding to redo its nature, do the EVs, hyper train (all out of experience candy so I gotta grind out raids to get this guy to lvl 100)

oWh8EpP.jpg

But at least it's over.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
For sure the last shiny I try to get at least until I get the shiny charm. That turned into a massive pain in the ass. And the little guy is still gonna need a fair amount of grinding to redo its nature, do the EVs, hyper train (all out of experience candy so I gotta grind out raids to get this guy to lvl 100)

oWh8EpP.jpg

But at least it's over.
Nice. How many encounters did it take? Aegislash is definitely one of my favourite shinies. I'm hoping that Home comes pretty early in 2020 so that I can bring mine over.
Would someone be able to trade me a Sobble? It can be a level 1 breaded one with nothing special.
I could probably help you later tonight if you still need.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

oWh8EpP.jpg

But at least it's over.

Wait... wha??? What is EV training?

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Wait... wha??? What is EV training?
Serebii has a pretty detailed description of EVs and how to train them. It is outdated a bit now with the release of Sword and Shield, but still goes through the general gist of it: Serebii.net Games - Effort Values

A couple of things I'm not sure he explains well. First, different Pokemon award different EVs types for defeating them, and different amounts. So you need to seek out those different Pokemon in order to boost whichever specific stat you're looking to increase, if you're going to use that method for gaining EVs. A typical physical attacking Pokemon will look to add 252 EVs into Attack and 252 into Speed, and the last 4 into one of the defenses or HP. A special attacking Pokemon typically 252 in Special Attack and 252 into speed. Defensive Pokemon often have a more complex EV setup. There are of course other EV spreads used for offensive Pokemon, but most examples do as I described. Smogon is a good resource for what EV spreads you can look for. I grabbed Aegislash as an example, to continue from the post you quoted: https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/aegislash/

You no longer have to worry about going over 252 EVs like he is describing, as it is now capped at 252 and has been since I believe gen 6.

Sword and Shield made it so that there is no limit to the number of Carbos, Protein, Iron, etc that you can give to your Pokemon, so that is currently the easiest method of "training" EVs right now. But they are expensive. Another way to do it is at the job thing with the Rotom PC that is in the pokecenters. Otherwise you can do it by defeating specific Pokemon in the wild, but that seems like too much work anymore, especially since horde battles and SOS are no longer a thing.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Nice. How many encounters did it take? Aegislash is definitely one of my favourite shinies. I'm hoping that Home comes pretty early in 2020 so that I can bring mine over.

I could probably help you later tonight if you still need.
Like 2200 encounters including the 500 knockouts to bring the rate down. Basically made my weekend a heavy set of Netflix and running around in the game.

I really don't want to do something like that again. Finally finding it was cathartic but hours of that hunt felt incredibly frustrating.

Reactions: robertmac43

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Like 2200 encounters including the 500 knockouts to bring the rate down. Basically made my weekend a heavy set of Netflix and running around in the game.

I really don't want to do something like that again. Finally finding it was cathartic but hours of that hunt felt incredibly frustrating.

Welcome to the wonderful world of shiny hunting ;)

I really want to shiny hunt soon, but I’m going to get the shiny charm first. Do have some foreign dittos too!

I think my first is gonna be my garbage boy, Trubbish.

Reactions: HanSolo

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just doing my first raids. These things are awesome and I think this is a cool step in the right direction to adding more cooperative features to Pokemon. Would be cool if they ever went to a system that had dungeons with a boss pokemon at the end of it.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Just doing my first raids. These things are awesome and I think this is a cool step in the right direction to adding more cooperative features to Pokemon. Would be cool if they ever went to a system that had dungeons with a boss pokemon at the end of it.
Yeah, I really like the raids. I hope they continue supporting it in the future by adding new gmax Pokemon every couple months with rotating special gmaxs.

Got a Moxie Gyarados, and will be breeding to get a competitive one. If anyone is interested in one of the leftovers, let me know. I should have some either tomorrow or the day after.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
really liking this game. it’s short comings are definitely outweighed by the amount of great things about it

caught a Gigantamax Centiskorch which was pretty awesome. took a bit to find one

anyone else play these games by not looking up the new Pokémon before playing? that’s what I’ve been doing the last 3 games (Y Moon and Shield) and it adds a fun element to it. I used to go the route of planning everything out ahead of time of what my final part would be, but I have found this new method of going in blind a lot more fun

Reactions: Commander Clueless

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
really liking this game. it’s short comings are definitely outweighed by the amount of great things about it

caught a Gigantamax Centiskorch which was pretty awesome. took a bit to find one

anyone else play these games by not looking up the new Pokémon before playing? that’s what I’ve been doing the last 3 games (Y Moon and Shield) and it adds a fun element to it. I used to go the route of planning everything out ahead of time of what my final part would be, but I have found this new method of going in blind a lot more fun
I kinda managed to go in blind. I saw most of the Pokemon that were officially revealed beforehand, and a couple from the leaks, but I think there were still roughly 60 that I encountered for the first time in game. It definitely makes the game a lot more fun the first time through.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

I'll look at pokemon once I catch them to see final evolution. If it looks cool I'll invest the time into training it.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Going in blind is the best.

YouTube does its best to make this difficult.

Finished the story and post game story line last night. It was a lot of fun.

I play the games for the single player, and from that perspective, this game is a great one IMO. Loved it. The starter choices aren't top tier, but otherwise it was a fun adventure.

The online portion is a good concept, but the execution needs work. Still, I think the wild area was a fantastic add to the game now that they have a little more horsepower to work with. I was extremely skeptical of the dynamaxing and the raids at first, but it turned out to be a really fun mechanic.

I don't usually delve too much into any of the post game or competitive play, but I'll probably putz around in the wild area for a while longer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad