Injury Report: Points % Should determine playoffs Teams.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Here is an off the wall idea.

How about when the NHL reopens it continues on where the regular season left off and then have the playoffs after the final 12 games are played.

When you suspend something and then resume the starting point is where you left off.
I don’t want to watch us win the cup in july, but if you insist ha

Clammer

Dec 4, 2008
I think most fair thing is to have seeds in through points percentage. Same with the first wild card. Then have a one game playoff for the last wildcard like baseball

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Once this covid virus passes by (hopefully sooner than later)... Leafs will be healthy for the first time all season.

If they play their final games still, and then playoffs... or go straight to playoffs and they're delayed ... all the guys including Muzzin and soup... will probably be back.

Odd enough ... if(and it could be a big if)... the season continues... this might help us in the standings.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Finish the regular season and then make the playoff rounds best of 3 until the SCF.
I don’t see anything wrong with that. Would they condense the remainder of games? Saves 4 or 5 days a series multiplied by 3 so 12 to 15 days saved. If it goes longer than 2 weeks which is likely, it still rolls longer.

I had though also after researching the virus more that they might be better off cancelling the rest of the regular season. This thing seems to dwell undetected in the body for some time.

Point percentage the rest of the games out and shoot for The normal playoff start date at 7 game series as usual. If more delays arise the 3 out of 5 is a great option. I would go 2 out of 3 series in the first 2 rounds, as long as it is played .

Nothing should be given up on. They should be flexable at least

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I think most fair thing is to have seeds in through points percentage. Same with the first wild card. Then have a one game playoff for the last wildcard like baseball

Agreed but think of how we would feel if the Leaf's points percentage put them out of a playoff position even if they had more points than 1 or 2 teams that get in. Also, I'd be be pretty miffed if I was a Florida fan right now know my team was possibly one game away from having a higher point percentage with a much easier opponent than the Leafs tonight. The timing of this decision could not be better for OUR team. Not so much for others' (depending on what they do about this).

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Resuming the regular season comes with a ton of complications with arena bookings and the NBA, who will be looking at a similar condensed version.

My random idea - teams that have games in hand over wildcard team and that are within 1 or 2 points of a playoff position play a 1-game playoff for those final spots. Give those teams who had a chance on the bubble to get in.

Based on that it works out that:

NYI plays Columbus for the final WC spot in the East
Calgary plays Vancouver for the 3rd divisional spot in the West
Minnesota plays Nashville for the final WC spot in the West

From there, depending on when play resumes, the first two rounds could be full 7-game series or a shortened 5-game series. With the Conference Finals and Cup Finals being 7 games.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Point % is the best way but I have a feeling there will be some issues with that. Therefore I could see this happening. It's not great but might be a workable solution. Both point % and points earned determine playoff spots. In you're in via both methods you're in. If you're in 1 and out 1 you play a play in game to avoid controversy. point % determined the seeds for playoffs, and the team that's in with point % gets "home ice" during the play in game.

That would mean Winnipeg/Vancouver, and NYI/Columbus play for the last spot in each conference. Vancouver is 3rd in the Pacific on point % so if they win then they get that seed and CGY WC. If they lose then CGY 3rd, WPG WC

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Once this covid virus passes by (hopefully sooner than later)... Leafs will be healthy for the first time all season.

If they play their final games still, and then playoffs... or go straight to playoffs and they're delayed ... all the guys including Muzzin and soup... will probably be back.

Odd enough ... if(and it could be a big if)... the season continues... this might help us in the standings.
I like some optimism in times like these. True enough really too

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I like some optimism in times like these. True enough really too

Thanks... I know the season isn't looking too good probably... and things seem sketchy... but man... people need to keep a sense of humor.

There has been a million far worse things (overall during humanity) that people have had to endure... and this is no disrespect to anyone who has passed to this virus... because obviously that is sad... and I feel terrible for those families... but regardless who it hits... life goes on regardless... just enjoy every freaking day you get up... the best you can.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Thanks... I know the season isn't looking too good probably... and things seem sketchy... but man... people need to keep a sense of humor.

There has been a million far worse things (overall during humanity) that people have had to endure... and this is no disrespect to anyone who has passed to this virus... because obviously that is sad... and I feel terrible for those families... but regardless who it hits... life goes on regardless... just enjoy every freaking day you get up... the best you can.

Atta boy! Feel same way.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Finish the regular season and then make the playoff rounds best of 3 until the SCF.

1 big part about winning the cup is going through the war of attrition that 4 7 game series gives you. this would be a cheap cup win imo. either play the rest of the season from where it's been postponed or cancel the whole season, however they could do some kind of tournament and not hand out the Stanley cup so they could have some kind of champion. but imo to win the cup you must win 16 games.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Say the season is over and no more games, how would the lottery works?
Are we in the lottery? Bc one could argue, if any teams(except teams who clinched a playoff spot-think Bruins) lose the remainder of their games, they could be in the lottery and a chance to win it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1 big part about winning the cup is going through the war of attrition that 4 7 game series gives you. this would be a cheap cup win imo. either play the rest of the season from where it's been postponed or cancel the whole season, however they could do some kind of tournament and not hand out the Stanley cup so they could have some kind of champion. but imo to win the cup you must win 16 games.

Yesterday on TSN they were suggesting a possibility where they use points% to declare playoff teams for the 3 spots in each Div. Then they have a short best of 3 play in series with the next 4 teams in each Conference.

Play in Round best of 3
------------------------------------
Carolina (7th) vs Florida (10th)
Columbus (8th) vs NYI (9th)

Playoffs
--------------------------------
Boston vs lowest WC seed
Tampa vs Toronto
Wash vs WC#2
Pitts vs Philly

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Also the playoffs could be switched to a best of 5 throughout. That should save a few weeks.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Here is an off the wall idea.

How about when the NHL reopens it continues on where the regular season left off and then have the playoffs after the final 12 games are played.

When you suspend something and then resume the starting point is where you left off.

If they are out until June. Then they start playoffs
June 23?

1.) players are UFA July 1. Some form of extension is required

2.) the season would go to august/sept?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
My personal guess is that they cancel the rest of the regular season, make the playoffs with modifications

Then bring back the World Cup and make it like the olympics for revenue.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
There was inside info somewhere that league might consider 24 teams in playoffs and / or that playoffs games will happen every day with only day off for city change in scheme 2-3-2. So each round could be done on average in a week, 9 days max.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
While imo there will be a somewhat small chance this season continues/has playoffs, I agree.

If the season continued in say a month or so, i'd see no way of an 82 game season being played next season. It would be shortened and most fans might even like that, quicker to the 2021 playoffs

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
If there is no time to finish the season but the playoffs could be salvaged do you think they would go to winning percentage to decide positioning?

Reactions: ER89

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The tie-breakers are published on the NHL standings page. I don't think anyone needs to give them any more thought. The NHL playoffs could conceivably start as late as the middle of May. Make the first two rounds best of 5 with consecutive home games (i.e. May 15th, 16th, 18th, 19th, 21st). The first two rounds would be over before the end of May then the final two rounds could be best of 7's with the typical rest schedule. Everything would be done before the contracts are scheduled to expire/rollover at the end of June.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad