Injury Report: Points % Should determine playoffs Teams.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
"They" might sire. Also uh, they might play those last reg.season games too too if this thang is over fastly mayne. Also uh, they might just only play like two games that determinate the playoff scenario and then we'll be set to go all out. Its even then. Even the percentige wise calculation is possible where they just put these 16 teams out there and play like best of 5 series etc. Mayne that gon be tough as nails. But we'll be still eating em, real hard.

Reactions: al secord

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
I know it's just Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger throwing out ideas, but here are a few. I threw one of my own in there too, guess which one :sarcasm:.

One month hiatus:
  • Continue with the remaining games and have hockey into July

Two or more months:
  • Continue with the remaining games and the playoffs. Have a shortened 2021-22 season (start in January)
  • Play out the games to an even number across all teams.

Extreme:
  • Base spots on point percentage and continue on with the playoffs.
  • Do a NCAA March Madness style tournament and include all 31 NHL teams (have the bottom two teams (Ottawa and Detroit) play for the 30th spot). Another more logical option would be to simply exclude Detroit entirely, have the NHL compensate the team for the lost revenue from this one game.

End of the World:
  • Give the Stanley Cup to the Leafs

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Its worth discussing.its pretty interesting actually
The situation in the us and in canada will be solved soon and they'll see where they are and the numbers. They'll see it in two weeks and also the awful numbers where people is losing money like in the nhl and in the nba, also in otha bunizesess like wall street etc. Mayne that hart right thurr like chingy said back in the early 2000'. Mayne that hard. So uh, yeah it'll be solved soon, like 2 weeks and we'll be looking back in, cause mayne peeps don't even get sick anymores. They'll see it soon, cause nobody can even fly in anymore. It goes by like so many other flu bugs. So yeah sire, we back for the playoffs and it'll be fun and gravy again. Mayne we be clappin hard afterr this dirt here :clap:

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Yep it has happened once before. Let's hope we don't make it twice. But if i was betting i would say we are done this year if you go only on what happened in Italy. Like it or not our systems are d*mn similar. Age of population pretty similar. To expect much better is pretty optimistic right?
actually Italy has one of the oldest populations in the world; average of 46 years. 23% over 65 . Canada has an average age of 40. 16% over 65 . very different.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I was reading there has been breakthroughs in understanding of the virus and vaccines could be available as opposed to them understanding nothing recently as to how to get a vaccine.

It ultimately is a responsibility of individuals to not socialize for a few week and self quarantine yourself regardless of ifbyou are infected with the virus or not.

I could have went out and played pool with two women and declined tonight. Wait now, am i sick already :)

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
If enough time have all teams complete their 71 games (That's the most any team has played so far) or maybe a few more to shake the rust off....Then carry on the playoffs as usual with reduced series length depending on time frame.Maybe even a 1 through 8 in each conference... 1 vs 8...2 vs 7...etc...

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
what i'm trying to figure out is how people are worried about the playoffs when apparently the planet isn't even going to make it that far...?

it's like on one hand, we have the people who are panicking that we're all doomed

..and then on the other hand there's the rest of the people who are betting on how the playoffs will be handled

...I mean - what a contrast lol

Just goes to show the vast selection of personality types this world really has

..there are probably people from this forum driving 800km up north right now and not coming back until this thing goes away.... but then the rest of them are here at home planning the playoffs LOL

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Is there any way to make a 30 team bracket? You would need 32 right? Giving Boston a bye doesn’t help.

My plan is Right now is

1.) Boston gets a bye.
2.) 2-30 get in a best of 3 tournament to get into the 4 round playoffs. That means the reg season is a week. And every team gets in. Every team would get 1 playoff home game. And then fav would get to pick if they want 1/3 or 2/3.

I would do the call out method. But the NHL will have conferences based on travel. So now. By conference call out each other. a rep from every team comes and they do a call out based on standings.

Tampa calls out say Detroit and they square off/shake hands. St. Louis calls out the ducks. Etc.

then at the end of the prelims you have.

14 teams plus Boston. This is where it gets sticky. You could then have of the eliminated teams. The best 2 of reg season have a 1 game wild card to get in to bring it back up to 16.

then you go. Call out round by round.

the draft is done by all teams except cup finalists in the lottery weighted by reg standings.

this method

1.) allows for the presidents trophy to actually mean something

2.) all teams get a home game
3.) reg season done in a week
4.) televised the call outs. (At least first round)

Issues:
1.) basically 1 team from the west would have to come to the east to make it even. The 1 game playoff is weird but with 31 teams it makes sense I guess

Then time permitting if the season was done In July.
1.) cut the preseason to 4 games
2.) get rid of bye week.
3.) host a World Cup like an olympics in Toronto or New York for revenue.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If enough time have all teams complete their 71 games (That's the most any team has played so far) or maybe a few more to shake the rust off....Then carry on the playoffs as usual with reduced series length depending on time frame.Maybe even a 1 through 8 in each conference... 1 vs 8...2 vs 7...etc...

the problem with that is then you have to match teams that played the same games. Because then a 71 team becomes 72.

If they aren’t going to do every team gets in. Then they Should just have teams that are fighting for a WC spot have a 1 game elimination

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
no more hockey this season and the playoffs. THE END.

the goal is to make as much money as possible this year to avoid hundreds of millions In losses. They will want to do as much as they can to make it up.

Eliminations world cups etc

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If we lose a couple of months, just do playoffs. Have 24 teams so no team can complain about not getting in, top 4 teams in each conference get a bye and the other 8 play a best of 5. Then go from there, do 1 vs 8 and reseed after each round.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
No matter how you do an adjusted playoffs, teams will complain. Can't worry about that.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
what i'm trying to figure out is how people are worried about the playoffs when apparently the planet isn't even going to make it that far...?

it's like on one hand, we have the people who are panicking that we're all doomed

..and then on the other hand there's the rest of the people who are betting on how the playoffs will be handled

..there are probably people from this forum driving 800km up north right now and not coming back until this thing goes away.... but then the rest of them are here at home planning the playoffs LOL

Taco's

I think the planet will be fine thank you very much ... the only debate is which virus will survive.

Reactions: egd27

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Yesterday on TSN they were suggesting a possibility where they use points% to declare playoff teams for the 3 spots in each Div. Then they have a short best of 3 play in series with the next 4 teams in each Conference.

Play in Round best of 3
------------------------------------
Carolina (7th) vs Florida (10th)
Columbus (8th) vs NYI (9th)

Playoffs
--------------------------------
Boston vs lowest WC seed
Tampa vs Toronto
Wash vs WC#2
Pitts vs Philly

yea I don't agree with it imo, if 4 playoff rounds are not best of 7 imo it would devalue the cup. so it really depends on the time frame as to when they get going. I think before May they could get the regular season and playoffs in, after early may there's no chance so imo I would rather see them play a tournament and not hand out the Stanley cup but some other trophy. like play everyone in your division twice and then top 4 teams in each division play a single Elimination play down for the championships. if the fans are not in the stands then you also don't need to use all 31 arena's in the tournament you could have all the divisional games played in just 4 arena's this would allow the players to not have to be out in the public as much and could be fairly quarantined from the general public. they would obviously need to travel for the Semi's and Finals would be in the same arena as well. this would be what 18 games which could be played over a month and a half.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If we lose a couple of months, just do playoffs. Have 24 teams so no team can complain about not getting in, top 4 teams in each conference get a bye and the other 8 play a best of 5. Then go from there, do 1 vs 8 and reseed after each round.
This makes a lot of sense to me. Gives the bubble teams a chance to qualify, since the regular season was cut short.

I hope that the NHL considers something like this.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I mean, they did it during the Spanish Flu epidemic... Just cancelled the whole thing, I mean, and awarded the Cup to no one...
Slightly different, as they were well into the finals when most of the Montreal players became too sick to play.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown

I mean it's always been like this for some people. Acid rain is the end, Y2K is the end, Ozone layer will kill us all, Quick sand is going to kill me. It's (literally) insane how people fall for it, but funny I guess. I feel if you act this way then maybe the fear mongering news isn't for you :dunno:

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
Play the rest of the games as 5min 3v3 only then a shootout, one after another in a neutral site.

Or, not.

I'll be shocked if they continue the season or playoffs. This won't blow over quickly enough in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->