Proposal: Point Offer Sheet

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I've heard absolutely nothing about what type of contract he wants. There's been a lot of rumors from other RFAs, but i didn't see anything from him. So it really depends.

No he doesn't want an OS and yes he loves Tampa - and if an OS was 9-10M and Tampa is willing to go 8-8.5 - I could see him leaving that extra 1-2M to stay in Tampa, easily so.

But if an offer sheet comes in at 10.5 for the # of years he wants - and Tampa is offering 7 or less, or the wrong term - you're starting to talk about a really big gap.

So it really comes down to how far apart they are. Which I have no clue on.
If it comes out he's inviting offer sheets, it becomes a realistic worry. Right now it sounds like they're arguing over term, although it also sounds like there hasn't been much conversation. Last report is TB wants a bridge deal, Point wants 5 or longer.

One way or another the $ is getting below 8.5. I mean, maybe it gets ugly and Point forces us to trade somebody out, but I really don't see it going that way.

I think the real conversation starts when a few more RFAs trickle in. Nobody on the fan side of things is gonna cry over term, if the money's ok.

But JBB is gonna do his job and try to get the best contract possible.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Come on Bergy, let's see if you have guts and make a real offer sheet this time (of at least 10.5m per season). The last offer sheet was clearly a favor to ol' buddy Rick Dudley.

4x first round and 10.5m tied up to Point is a lot of cap space and assets. Add to that that Montreal doesn’t have the cap space right now to offer that much money.

I think OP is onto something. They might match, but that screws them up big time for the future.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
4x first round and 10.5m tied up to Point is a lot of cap space and assets. Add to that that Montreal doesn’t have the cap space right now to offer that much money.

I think OP is onto something. They might match, but that screws them up big time for the future.
It really doesn't. Point could easily get 11m in 2022 under a higher cap.

Hell, I think if Point plays hardball we might make him that kind of offer ourselves.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
They would think long and hard about 10.5 per (two 1sts+2nd+3rd), but I think they match
A team needs to be willing to give up FOUR 1st rd picks to steal point away. Depending on how good the team is, he may be worth it

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It really doesn't. Point could easily get 11m in 2022 under a higher cap.

Hell, I think if Point plays hardball we might make him that kind of offer ourselves.

But the way Tampa cap structure is, it would be really, really hard to keep the core and offer Point 11M. You would need to shed ~2.5m in less than two weeks (Even more if this drags into the season).

Another factor people are forgetting is Point actually have to sign the offer. It’s a two-way street.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
But the way Tampa cap structure is, it would be really, really hard to keep the core and offer Point 11M. You would need to shed ~2.5m in less than two weeks (Even more if this drags into the season).

Another factor people are forgetting is Point actually have to sign the offer. It’s a two-way street.
I think you misunderstood the conversation.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I think you misunderstood the conversation.

I did not. I know you meant the 11M in three way and that definitely made sense where it would be much easier because of the higher cap, so I didn’t really focused on that part. I was more surprised by that part:

Which I believed was that you might offer that high of an AAV right now on a long term contract if Point plays hardball. That was my understanding.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I feel like if Point wanted a offer sheet to get the deal he wanted, he would have done it by now. I can see it if there is no deal in the next month or so but I cant see it getting there. This offer sheet stuff is wishful thinking at this point.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I did not. I know you meant the 11M in three way and that definitely made sense where it would be much easier because of the higher cap, so I didn’t really focused on that part. I was more surprised by that part:

Which I believed was that you might offer that high of an AAV right now on a long term contract if Point plays hardball. That was my understanding.
He referenced the OP, which talked about an 11m third year on a reasonable bridge deal. We won't offer him anything close to 11 AAV for this coming year.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I mean, I don't think any of this will happen. But with guys more often waiting for their actual contract years to sign, and the fact that in this scenario he has an 11 mil QO, unless Tampa offers him that or close to it, why would he not want to cash in on that?
Because he wants to stay in Tampa Bay?

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Would Tampa match an offersheet if it was weighted in the back with a heavy third year? It seems to be a trend with these young dmen signings.

So for example: 8 mil x 3 yrs

1rst yr - 6 mil
2nd yr - 7 mil
3rd yr - 11 mil

This makes Point's qualifying offer 11 million

So its almost a like an 8.75 x 4yr deal but Tampa then has to qualify him for 11 million in 3 years.

Meanwhile the compensation would be only a 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

This isn't as stupid as hfboards is making it out to be. I would think that Tampa would match fairly easily, but it would make it harder for them to retain guys like Cirelli and Sergacheve. Tampa's done a real good job of lowballing guys like Point, Kucherov and Stamkos in order to retain their quality depth.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
How many players in the league are playing on a contract signed because of their QO?

I swear people hear something on the radio and think it applies broadly. Tampa doesn't care about Point's QO because he'll be re-signed to an 8 year contract after the bridge, or he won't because he has not kept up his performance.

Hypothetical scenario but if I had a choice to sign a 1 year deal @ 11M then be a UFA or sign an 8 year deal for 9M a year, I take the first option

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hypothetical scenario but if I had a choice to sign a 1 year deal @ 11M then be a UFA or sign an 8 year deal for 9M a year, I take the first option
Cool. And if you get hit in the head with a puck and then are never the same? Are you happy with that decision?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He's pretty much said that he wont sign one, He loves it in Tampa and probably takes less to stay there.
Although... per the Aho example... signing an offersheet might actually be the BEST way to ensure he stays in Tampa? Or at least the best way to ensure he starts playing ASAP for them instead of having them waste any more days and weeks not-agreeing on a contract...

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Because he wants to stay in Tampa Bay?

I feel like we are about to get stuck in an endless loop. BUT, this premise had you skipping ahead to Tampa matching said OS and it not mattering about the QO because he would sign a year prior to it coming into effect. I was jumping into this fantasy, to say if ALL of that happened, I don't think he would sign a year before he needed to in direct response to you saying "and extend him before the QO even comes into play."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad