Proposal: Point Offer Sheet

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Would Tampa match an offersheet if it was weighted in the back with a heavy third year? It seems to be a trend with these young dmen signings.

So for example: 8 mil x 3 yrs

1rst yr - 6 mil
2nd yr - 7 mil
3rd yr - 11 mil

This makes Point's qualifying offer 11 million

So its almost a like an 8.75 x 4yr deal but Tampa then has to qualify him for 11 million in 3 years.

Meanwhile the compensation would be only a 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Would Tampa match an offersheet if it was weighted in the back with a heavy third year? It seems to be a trend with these young dmen signings.

1rst yr - 6 mil
2nd yr - 7 mil
3rd yr - 11 mil

So its almost a like an 8.75 x 4yr deal but Tampa then has to qualify him for 11 million in 3 years.

My mom taught me there's no such thing as a stupid question. I feel like I've been lied to.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ve got a dollar..

17E1CCD9-E733-42AB-93CE-1E78BA24060C.gif

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Why is this stupid? 11 mil + in three years is still a lot for Tampa.
How many players in the league are playing on a contract signed because of their QO?

I swear people hear something on the radio and think it applies broadly. Tampa doesn't care about Point's QO because he'll be re-signed to an 8 year contract after the bridge, or he won't because he has not kept up his performance.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I think Montreal would consider an offer sheet but when you think about it... it doesn't make a lot of sense. Tampa will probably match and then you're playing against him. Your better bet is to hope he holds out as long as possible.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
They will match. And extend him before the QO even comes into play.
I mean, I don't think any of this will happen. But with guys more often waiting for their actual contract years to sign, and the fact that in this scenario he has an 11 mil QO, unless Tampa offers him that or close to it, why would he not want to cash in on that?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Apparently Montreal offersheeted Point before Aho, wich i guess was the same numbers and he denied it.
I don't think they did, they wanted to but Point's agent said that he wouldn't sign it and they were better off trying with Aho.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Come on Bergy, let's see if you have guts and make a real offer sheet this time (of at least 10.5m per season). The last offer sheet was clearly a favor to ol' buddy Rick Dudley.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

1rst yr - 6 mil
2nd yr - 7 mil
3rd yr - 11 mil

Get real Tampa would easily match that, And besides the odds of Point signing an offer sheet are slim to none.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

1rst yr - 6 mil
2nd yr - 7 mil
3rd yr - 11 mil

There's 0 logical reason for them to not match that. What would the return even be for that offer sheet, one first round pick, or less? How is that a good trade for Point.

Even if - worst case scenario they are afraid of the QO and think they may lose him in 4 years - who cares? You still match it and benefit from 3 years worth of Point, and deal with losing/trading him 3 years from now. There's absolutely 0 reason to not match that.

If someone offered 10.5$M+ and 4 1st round picks - i'd be very surprised to see them match. At the very least - they certainly think of it long and hard.
If someone offered 10.5M and 2 1st round picks - I think it's definitely more than they seem to want to pay Point. I'm not saying they wouldn't match - but I am saying they would at least think about it too.

Anything less? No chance wasting time.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Get real Tampa would easily match that, And besides the odds of Point signing an offer sheet are slim to none.

Disagree on the bolded. We're getting close to season start. I think all of the top RFAs would rather not miss time. If their teams aren't stepping up with offers that are at least close to what they want - I think looking at offer sheets may become more appealing.
Obviously - would take a much better offer than OP is suggesting.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Did people forget that Point said he doesnt want to sign an offer sheet? I think people are hoping this goes wrong for TB and will probably be upset when he signs for a cheaper deal than they hoped for.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Disagree on the bolded. We're getting close to season start. I think all of the top RFAs would rather not miss time. If their teams aren't stepping up with offers that are at least close to what they want - I think looking at offer sheets may become more appealing.
Obviously - would take a much better offer than OP is suggesting.
He's pretty much said that he wont sign one, He loves it in Tampa and probably takes less to stay there.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He's pretty much said that he wont sign one, He loves it in Tampa and probably takes less to stay there.

I've heard absolutely nothing about what type of contract he wants. There's been a lot of rumors from other RFAs, but i didn't see anything from him. So it really depends.

No he doesn't want an OS and yes he loves Tampa - and if an OS was 9-10M and Tampa is willing to go 8-8.5 - I could see him leaving that extra 1-2M to stay in Tampa, easily so.

But if an offer sheet comes in at 10.5 for the # of years he wants - and Tampa is offering 7 or less, or the wrong term - you're starting to talk about a really big gap.

So it really comes down to how far apart they are. Which I have no clue on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad