Management POHO Staios/GM D̶o̶r̶i̶o̶n̶/Front Office Thread - Part X [Mod Warning in post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
OP loves new threads lol
Wanted a new Dorion loving tone in this one.

Its hard content to muster up but. I'll start. Dorion used to be in charge of hockey ops for the Ottawa Senators and did some things well. While not coming across all the time as the brightest bulb in the drawer he hung on to his job for quite a lot longer than many would have predicted.

Good?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yes. Sure. Positive but.... what was the likelihood the last few years
"more changes to come"!

Wanted a new Dorion loving tone in this one.

Its hard content to muster up but. I'll start. Dorion used to be in charge of hockey ops for the Ottawa Senators and did some things well. While not coming across all the time as the brightest bulb in the drawer he hung on to his job for quite a lot longer than many would have predicted.

Good?
One change: Change "predicted" to "wanted".

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There's a concept in the corporate world called "managing out executives".

You create an environment that "encourages" someone to leave their job.

The most common first step is hiring someone above said person. This diminishes their autonomy and blocks their path for promotion.

I'm sure Dorion envisioned becoming President one day, and promoting someone like Bowness to GM. He built the team after all! He should be rewarded if it does well!

Well that's no longer an opportunity in this organization.

It'll be all smiles today, and in the first few weeks. The true test will be how the relationship between Andlauer, Staios and Dorion develops into February and March.

What happens when Dorion wants to make a trade and Staios shoots him down?

What a strange assumption to make here. That would be terrible behaviour by the new owner.

There is very little chance that either Andlauer or Staios are engaged in this type of underhanded behaviour, rather is seems a lot more like the waning hopes of that shameful exit some folks were hoping for.

There is also no reason to disrespect a long time NHL executive like this when you could simply release him of his duties, as it would not be out of the question with an ownership change.

Unfortunately there just isn’t going to be the pound of flesh. Dorion will work with Staios and Bowness and trades will be made with discussion. If when the team falters or needs a new vision he will be replaced as per normal GM replacement. For the time being the results are positive so no change is needed.

Consider that Pierre was already collaborating on trades with his AGM, and already had to convince the board to sign off on all of his moves. He’ll be fine in his current roll, though in fact he may flourish with the help of the analytics guy, Staios, and Andlauer. Compare this to what he has had to work with the last many years and these could be his happiest days as a GM.

I bet the building is such a more positive work environment right now.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Did Dorion ever have free rein on staffing moves though? What a strange revision of history.

Pretty sure Melnyk controlled the purse strings and the size of the front office.

Besides that I love what we’re doing here!
These revisionists love making shit up. Anything to suit the agenda.

• Haha
Reactions: Emerica

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
These revisionists love making shit up. Anything to suit the agenda.

Dorion has had free reign for the last 3 or so years. Melnyk had severe health problems for an extended period of time, and during COVID, he wasn't nearly as involved as he had been through the mid-2010s (as you'd expect when battling severe illness).

After his passing, the board was primarily focused on getting the team ready to sell. They gave Dorion a budget to stick to and stayed out of the way otherwise. Nobody concerned themselves with anything but whether the numbers added up.

This is the first time in a while that Dorion will be working for an involved, eager, and knowledgeable owner, plus a President of Hockey Operations (which he's never reported to).

And once Alfredsson comes on board, though his role will be adjacent to Dorion's, he'll have a fairly large gravitational pull simply because of his name and history with this franchise. He'll certainly have a level of influence on both Andlauer and Staios. Andlauer has already said his addition will be an important one.

So Dorion will go from being the guy in the front office, to being the fourth guy in the front office.

I have no idea how it'll all play out. Maybe he'll thrive in this new professional and supportive environment! But it'll certainly be much different than it was in the past.

Is he willing to hunker down in a more defined GM role on a collaborative team, or will he have a chip on his shoulder because he thinks he should have been named President?

We'll see!

I will say, I kind of feel bad for Dorion. It's obvious that Andlauer and Staios have a very close, personal friendship. It's not just an employer-employee relationship. They're buds and have been thinking about running an NHL team together for a long time. It'd be hard being the guy who used to run the show when they come in, with their inside jokes and bond and all that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur and bert

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Dorion has had free reign for the last 3 or so years. Melnyk had severe health problems for an extended period of time, and during COVID, he wasn't nearly as involved as he had been through the mid-2010s (as you'd expect when battling severe illness).

After his passing, the board was primarily focused on getting the team ready to sell. They gave Dorion a budget to stick to and stayed out of the way otherwise. Nobody concerned themselves with anything but whether the numbers added up.

This is the first time in a while that Dorion will be working for an involved, eager, and knowledgeable owner, plus a President of Hockey Operations (which he's never reported to).

And once Alfredsson comes on board, though his role will be adjacent to Dorion's, he'll have a fairly large gravitational pull simply because of his name and history with this franchise. He'll certainly have a level of influence on both Andlauer and Staios. Andlauer has already said his addition will be an important one.

So Dorion will go from being the guy in the front office, to being the fourth guy in the front office.

I have no idea how it'll all play out. Maybe he'll thrive in this new professional and supportive environment! But it'll certainly be much different than it was in the past.

Is he willing to hunker down on a more defined GM role in a collaborative front office, or will he have a chip on his shoulder because he thinks he should have been named President?

We'll see!

I could see Staois liking a guy he can basically control to do what he wants.

If he wants to court an outside GM (like Darche/Roy/whoever), the GM would probably want some degree of independence, while Dorion would just be happy to have the title and stay employed.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Is he willing to hunker down in a more defined GM role on a collaborative team, or will he have a chip on his shoulder because he thinks he should have been named President?

We'll see!

I will say, I kind of feel bad for Dorion. It's obvious that Andlauer and Staios have a very close, personal friendship. It's not just an employer-employee relationship. They're buds and have been thinking about running an NHL team together for a long time. It'd be hard being the guy who used to run the show when they come in, with their inside jokes and bond and all that.
Exactly what I was talking about. Total revisionist.

Dorion will be GM until he is let go. One GM, not 4th man down the line.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I could see Staois liking a guy he can basically control to do what he wants.

If he wants to court an outside GM (like Darche/Roy/whoever), the GM would probably want some degree of independence, while Dorion would just be happy to have the title and stay employed.

I don't think Dorion is the patsy some make him out to be. I think he's got a pretty solid ego and a high opinion of himself, as well.

We're talking about whether Andlauer and Staios will like working with him, but for all we know, Dorion may not want to work with Staios and Andlauer.

He may fancy himself a POHO, just like Dubas did.

Exactly what I was talking about. Total revisionist.

Dorion will be GM until he is let go. One GM, not 4th man down the line.

Does Dorion have a boss? Does Dorion's boss have a boss?

That makes him 3rd man down the line, already, no?

Bowness is 4th man down the line, right now, I suppose.

When Alfredsson joins, we'll see who he reports to. Will it be directly to Andlauer? To Staios? Or to Dorion?

What if Alfredsson is named Senior Advisor to the President of Hockey Operations? That'd make him 3rd man down the line and bump Dorion down...

Reactions: bert

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I don't think Dorion is the patsy some make him out to be. I think he's got a pretty solid ego and a high opinion of himself, as well.

We're talking about whether Andlauer and Staios will like working with him, but for all we know, Dorion may not want to work with Staios and Andlauer.

When Alfredsson joins, we'll see who he reports to. Will it be directly to Andlauer? To Staios? Or to Dorion?

oh yea he's got a high ego. but it would be crushed if he is forced out and no one else wants to hire him for any important role lol.

when he could have just been one of the guys and just a smaller voice in a room with Staois/Alfie/Darche etc, but with one of the most prestigious titles in hockey.

sure would beat going back to riding busses and scouting.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

What if Alfredsson is named Senior Advisor to the President of Hockey Operations? That'd make him 3rd man down the line and bump Dorion down...
Will never happen. Only an idiot would put a junior in a senior advisory role.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Will never happen. Only an idiot would put a junior in a senior advisory role.

I mean, Steve Staios was just named Pierre Dorion's boss and put in the most senior hockey ops role there is, even though Pierre Dorion has much more NHL front-office experience than he does... and most of Staios' experience is managing in junior...

You must have a poor opinion of Michael Andlauer to call him an idiot so early into his tenure as owner.

I remember a few weeks ago some posters were convinced that if Staois was brought in it would be as an assistant GM. Were you one of them?

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
I mean, Steve Staios was just named Pierre Dorion's boss and put in the most senior hockey ops role there is, even though Pierre Dorion has much more NHL front-office experience than he does... and most of Staios' experience is managing in junior...

You must have a poor opinion of Michael Andlauer to call him an idiot so early into his tenure as owner.

I remember a few weeks ago some posters were convinced Staois would be brought in as assistant GM. Were you one of them?

Well he called Staios Dorions "helper" and either can't or won't admit that Dorion is now the 3rd man on the totem pole, so I'd say yeah he was one of those guys lol

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Well he called Staios Dorions "helper" and either can't or won't admit that Dorion is now the 3rd man on the totem pole, so I'd say yeah he was one of those guys lol

Staios did player development and a bit of amateur scouting. He will work well under Dorion

Lol.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Honestly. I am not ready to call this move a home run like 80% of the board is.

I am obviously cautiously optimistic. Dorion needs a filter that can let through the good moves but block the bad moves. Like the fact that Tarasenko was something like 5.5x4 is scary. However the fact he drafted Stutzle, Sanderson, and Tkachuk and got them all here long term deserves massive kudos and praise as well. But then again he traded away Zibanejad and a 2nd for f***ing Brassard. But then again he got Stutzle, Norris, Soogard, and Merilainen out of Karlsson. But then again he traded for Duchene and set us back by losing a top 5 pick but then again he had to work under not only a shiity owner but a shitty person to walk the planet in Eugene Melnyk.

ya my opinion on Dorion is very unique don't know a public figure I hate and appreciate like him. I think his time here is very limited and he will be cut the first moment Andlauer has an excuse to say he gave him a chance but it just didnt work.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

That sounds like too many cooks in the kitchen. Garrick says Alfie would like to be closer to the players

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018

Lol.

download (10).jpeg

Caught in HD ahahahahahahahahahaha

• Haha
Reactions: DJB

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
FYI
You can’t say “3rd man on the totem pole” anymore.

was talking about the poster that said Alfie would be above the GM in a role.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Why's that?
https://www.algonquincollege.com/diversity/2020/07/09/inclusion-infusions-racist-lexicon/#:~:text=The%20term%20“low%20man%20on,lower%20rank%2C%20junior%2Dlevel.

Low man on the totem pole: Totem poles are monuments created by the First Nations of the Pacific Northwest to represent and commemorate ancestry, histories, people, or events. The term “low man on the totem pole,” when used as an idiom to describe a person of low rank, inaccurately trivializes the tradition and meaning of the totem poles, which do not have a hierarchy of carvings based on physical position. Consciously replace this turn of phrase with – Person of lower rank, junior-level.

• Haha
Reactions: branch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad