GDT: PO Game 6 Columbus vs. Pittsburgh | Monday April 28 7pm

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
The game:

All season I was high on Wiz and low JJ. These playoffs taught me a thing or two about that. JJ played great and Wiz really stunk the joint up. I'm in for seeing 21 next year but if we make the playoffs, he has GOT to play better. We need him being regular season Wiz. Defensive lapses ok, but stop being so hesitant to shoot the damn puck.

I have a feeling there was a mandate to Wiz to be sure his shots got through and he didn't get a lot of open looks. I think he was caught trying to find a shot instead of letting it rip. It certainly helped avoid blocks and rushes going back the other way. Another reason I suspect this is the talk of Wiz having a foot issue and his noticeable lack of typical "Wiz" speed as we went through the final month or so of the season. Not that Wiz was "fast" before, but he definitely wasn't that slow, either, particularly in his first stride. He had virtually no way to recover if someone got by him.

Still have to say, let's trade Cam if we can get s good return. He didn't give us much this series.

Cam definitely looked overwhelmed at times and needs to be stronger on the puck, but I would not jettison the guy. He has speed and skill - two of the things the CBJ desperately need. At his price, I would keep developing him for now. I also have a hard time criticizing a guy who was on arguably the best line the CBJ had in the stretch run and playoffs.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Another reason I suspect this is the talk of Wiz having a foot issue and his noticeable lack of typical "Wiz" speed as we went through the final month or so of the season.

Oblique injury in game 3. Haven't seen anything official on his foot, but dear God he was horrendous in the playoffs.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 2h

#CBJ D James Wisniewski fought back tears talking about his playoff performance, how he suffered "tough bounces" on biggest stage.

The guy cares, I want him back.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
There is no doubt that these guys were all-in. The commitment was obvious and unlike anything we've ever seen on Nationwide Ice. If you have a great team, playing for the name on the front is a hell of a lot more fun than playing for the name on the back.

Steeltown Jacket

FanFromPensTerritory
Aug 8, 2011
Central Ohio
I'm more upset that the season is over rather than that we lost. I haven't had this much fun following a professional sports team of mine in a long, long time. I am a Cleveland fan so it's not hard to do, but this group/team/season made the ride so much fun.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I haven't been online much lately and haven't been able to watch games live since I've been working, but I wanted to say that this series reminded me of the Nords and Canadians series in 1993 where you started to see players like Sakic and Sundin take the first step to becoming superstars but just couldn't overcome a very good team.

It's too early to say that someone like Cam needs to be traded because they didn't make an impact in this series. It's still a young team and you could see the young guys taking that next step literally as the series went on.

While being physical was important, speed was crucial.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Hell of an effort last night, just as y'all, I couldn't be more proud of the CBJ. We pushed a powerhouse team and perennial cup contender to the limit.
Going into game 6, I thought if the Jackets were to be eliminated, I would feel overwhelming sad, but that was not the case at all.
I was really proud of how they didn't lay down and die when they were down 4-0 in the 3rd. They gave it their all, and absolutely poured their heart in to this game. That's all they could do.
Overall, this season was amazing, and will remain memorable for a long time.

btw, here's to hoping Nash lights up Fleury and the Pens in the 2nd round! ( who's with me? :D )

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Hell of an effort last night, just as y'all, I couldn't be more proud of the CBJ. We pushed a powerhouse team and perennial cup contender to the limit.
Going into game 6, I thought if the Jackets were to be eliminated, I would feel overwhelming sad, but that was not the case at all.
I was really proud of how they didn't lay down and die when they were down 4-0 in the 3rd. They gave it their all, and absolutely poured their heart in to this game. That's all they could do.

btw, here's to hoping Nash lights up Fleury and the Pens in the 2nd round! ( who's with me? :D )

I am.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Not me. **** Nash, I hope the Pens get to the ECF again and get swept by the Bruins..again

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Last night's atmosphere was great. I swear the top of sec 217 was shaking when Foligno scored. My nerves were fried. Great series guys.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 2h

#CBJ D James Wisniewski fought back tears talking about his playoff performance, how he suffered "tough bounces" on biggest stage.

The guy cares, I want him back.

I'm with you. It was obvious watching him after the final buzzer that he was not very happy about his performance. While the other players seemed very disappointed, Wiz seemed crestfallen. He's a competitor who is acutely aware that he let his teammates and himself down. He will grow from this.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
I think this happened after the third goal, where he couldn't keep the puck in and it led to a goal. Wiz skated to the bench and went straight down the tunnel. 3 or 4 players looked down the tunnel a few seconds later, and I imagine Wiz's stick was paying the price.

He had a dreadful last two weeks, but I'll have him back next year.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I think this happened after the third goal, where he couldn't keep the puck in and it led to a goal. Wiz skated to the bench and went straight down the tunnel. 3 or 4 players looked down the tunnel a few seconds later, and I imagine Wiz's stick was paying the price.

He had a dreadful last two weeks, but I'll have him back next year.

He was beating the hell out of something (4-5 loud noises) then stormed back to the bench. I wanted to tell him to use that energy on the ice, but I didn't think it would help. The answer to the Wiz conundrum is to use him less, even if that makes him a third pairing + PP guy. This series was too rich for him.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I want to see Nash suffer. The Rags being swept in four games would suit me fine. Then let the Bruins remove the Pens. But wishing something good for Nash? No way. Not from me.

thebus2288*

To me the Jackets scoring 3 goals in 5 minutes should send a clear message to the rest of the league.

This team is going to be fun to watch grow into a playoff power.

Not just the last game but all the comebacks in general. The most important message is the one the CBJ players send to themselves. A 2 goal deficit late in the 2nd next year in gonna be met with confidence. 180 difference from a couple years ago or even what, January?

Actually, blowing the leads we did should have a positive affect also.

Or we'll be last years Islanders...right ignorant HF posters??

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Not just the last game but all the comebacks in general. The most important message is the one the CBJ players send to themselves. A 2 goal deficit late in the 2nd next year in gonna be met with confidence. 180 difference from a couple years ago or even what, January?

Actually, blowing the leads we did should have a positive affect also.

Or we'll be last years Islanders...right ignorant HF posters??

It was almost like:
A two-goal deficit? We won that.
A three-goal deficit? Check.
Ok, let's see if we can do four!
:sarcasm:

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
“@JackJohnson3: Not the way we wanted the season to end. Hate losing whether it's 4-0 or 4-3, but couldn't be prouder of how the #CBJ boys never quit...”

“@JackJohnson3: The boys in the room have become like brothers and Columbus feels like home. Always been a great sports town, but now it's a hockey town...”

“@JackJohnson3: Owe that to our fans. Never played in a rink with the atmosphere we had for playoffs. Can't thank @TheCBJArtillery and @CBJ_Nation enough...”

“@JackJohnson3: #WeAreThe5thLine went to a whole new level. Props to @Jordan_D_Mills @TJnocar @PfefferFeff for starting it and uniting all the #CBJ fans...”

“@JackJohnson3: ...@mariominustheo and @ou_tristan for keeping them in check, @HOMAGE for making the shirts, and #CBJ faithful for the support all season...”

“@JackJohnson3: Can't thank every #WeAreThe5thLine member personally, but I'd love to see photos of you representing our 5th line. Thank you fans! #BattleOn”

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Bittersweet end to the series and season last night. I was so hoping to force a game 7. Getting down 4-0 was so disheartening, and seeing Malkin come to life wasn't good timing for the Jackets.

Never say die is what this team is all about. Easily the team could have folded. As the Jackets turned it up the Pens laid off making it another exciting finish that could have easily put it into OT.

I have to say that before the series I thought there would have been way more tickets scalped up by pens fans. The organization did a good job of getting tickets sold to who they thought and were Jacket fans. I have been fortunate to attend all 5 Jacket home PO games and what a treat this series was compared to 2009. In the Detroit series the team pretty much rolled over and played dead and let the Wings dictate everything. Game 4 of Detroit series was a much more contested game and made for a great finish of the game(except for the ****ing linesman).

The Jackets played their game for long stretches against the Pens and learned that if they didn't the puck was behind Bob in repeated fashion. A lot of that is not matching their speed or blown coverages in own zone, and a few Bob should have had.

I am excited to see what the offseason bring as far as signing/trades, the draft. Seeing Richards and staff is going to get extended is good for continuity. Anyway, a good season in which to grow from and pick up right where it left off for next season.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Don't want to intrude guys but is Jenner likely to be used as a center or winger down the road. He was fun to watch this series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad