GDT: PO Game 3: Columbus vs Pittsburgh | 4/16 6PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
While your comment wasn't directed at or to me, it does directly target a conversation in which I was involved.

I now specifically recall why I quit posting or even bothering to read this board. Contrary to your belief, you don't get to dictate the opinion of others. It seems impossible for you to simply disagree. You will shove your opinion down the throat of anyone who does not toe the line according to your version of, well, anything, really.

Sorry, but after the way I got treated during the Howson protest (I still occasionally get calls from debt collectors who've been led to believe I used to live in Mansfield) I have zero tolerance whatsoever for twisting facts to suit "we're all ****ed and nobody should ever feel happy about this team ever again" doomsday theories. It's just a thing of mine. I get into sports to combat depression, not cultivate it.

MY opinion is that there was a change in the disposition of Tortorella, the team and their apparent reluctance to admit serious problems with the team's play coinciding with that meeting (either incidentally or purposely).

That is different from "their play went downhill after the meeting", which is what I was responding to. If you want to suggest that they didn't handle adjustments well after that point, that's a different discussion (and one that might have merit, because towards the end of that stretch they were winning mostly because of Bob and in spite of themselves). But to say they did poorly after that is simply factually wrong.

Grouchy

Nov 2, 2006
Canal Winchester, OH
Can't think of anything to say other than fun while it lasted then reality set in and just had that feeling the way everything was going there was going to be a heart breaking end to game 3. At least the nail in the coffin goal wasn't scored by Cindy or Hornq.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
This team, with this offensive make-up, cannot afford to have below average goaltending against the defending Cup champions.

I doubt anyone would have thought otherwise.

Love Bob, but if he can't shake the yips in big moments, we'll have problems moving forward. I was hopeful his high profile WC in his home country would be a launching pad. I'm not sure he's cleanly caught a puck in this series.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
It starts and stops with Bob and he has been pathetic this series. He lost this series and nobody else.

This. If we had average goaltending at worst we're down 2-1 but most likely up 2-1. So many soft goals, where pucks are squeezing through holes from terrible angles.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
1-9 in last 10...this team is putting up an embarrassing performance to end the season. Total joke.

Playoff Bob is a thing. He's real, and he's terrible.

Torts is making some really idiotic coaching moves and it's costing us the series.

Good season...nice win streak, I guess.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
This team, with this offensive make-up, cannot afford to have below average goaltending against the defending Cup champions.

I doubt anyone would have thought otherwise.

Love Bob, but if he can't shake the yips in big moments, we'll have problems moving forward. I was hopeful his high profile WC in his home country would be a launching pad. I'm not sure he's cleanly caught a puck in this series.

Its definitely been a huge issue. Meanwhile, Jake Allen from the St. Louis Blues who had a roller coaster regular season is dominating the Wild.

Went back and re-watehed all the goals when I got home from the game... Bob has GOT TO STOP 3 or 4 out the 5. The OT goal we simply let Guentzel park right in front of Bob while Crosby lulled us to sleep with his puck handling. Thats not on Bob.

BUT, before we put the blame solely on Bob we need to remember our offense didn't decide to show up until Game 3...

Last edited:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I started reading all the pages here I'd missed, but quickly realized the grave error I was making.

All I'll say is this: give me the choice between watching the CBJ play themselves out of the first round of the playoffs or the top pick of the draft, I choose this every time.

It ain't over yet, but even if it is, they've come a long way and I applaud them.

The future is bright. All you Negative Nancy, Debbie Downer MFers in here can't bring me down!

CBJ CBJ CBJ

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I started reading all the pages here I'd missed, but quickly realized the grave error I was making.

All I'll say is this: give me the choice between watching the CBJ play themselves out of the first round of the playoffs or the top pick of the draft, I choose this every time.

It ain't over yet, but even if it is, they've come a long way and I applaud them.

The future is bright. All you Negative Nancy, Debbie Downer MFers in here can't bring me down!

CBJ CBJ CBJ

No doubt about that, but there also needs to be some realism in here. The Penguins spanked us this series and there is no way to polish that turd. This place was an echo chamber during the win streak. We need a perpetually downtrodden fan -- like Eeyore -- to keep everyone in here grounded.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Another observation from last night:

Pittsburgh passing on the powerplay was unreal.. Short, quick passes that are right on target every time...had us struggling to defend from start to finish. Not to mention barely able to ever clear the zone. Something we need to do on ours.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No doubt about that, but there also needs to be some realism in here. The Penguins spanked us this series and there is no way to polish that turd. This place was an echo chamber during the win streak. We need a perpetually downtrodden fan -- like Eeyore -- to keep everyone in here grounded.
I wasn't left with that impression overall - I mean, sure, I saw a few folks who were all "WE ARE THE KINGS AND QUEENS OF THE WORLD", but by and large most people seemed to me to be Cautiously Optimistic.

Granted, I tend to leave folks who do that sort of thing alone, if only because that attitude doesn't seem nearly as infectious around here. Of course, that may well be my own selection bias talking. :D

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Another observation from last night during Leo's anthem.

Starting lineup was Foligno - Dubinsky - Atkinson - Jones - Werenski

Can't imagine too many other all-American starting lineups for a playoff game in NHL history.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The "fake No.1 Center" is 11th in total points among centers (19th among all NHL forwards) over the past 4 seasons, outpacing other (undoubtedly) fake No. 1 centers like Toews, Bergeron, Duchene, and Sedin. The "fake" is 5 points behind Kopitar over this four year period.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...mesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,gamesPlayed

Try again.

Bluejackets dont sniff the playoffs this year , without having Jones. At this point, I honestly cant say who has more top end potential between Jones or Werenski, but our defense totally remade this team, in 1 year. I dont get the over the top reactions in this thread. We were a team, that had a goalie playing at the top level for his position, all season, and has crapped the bed in the playoffs. 2 of the first 3 games, we could have easily won, with just good goaltending.

We're a young team just starting to come on the scene, and no doubt this series highlights the skill differences that we still need to make up. The jackets honestly dont have one player (possibly Cam), as talented as Crosby, Malkin, Kessel. Its time to package Murray, Wennberg, or whomever and get some top end talent. Our defense will be fine with Jones, Werenski, Savard, Johnson, Nuti, Carlsson, Gavrikov, Harrington. Honestly what Ive seen of Carlsson, stepping into the playoffs , hardly any experience with North American hockey, has been damn impressive, and this offseason will be huge for him . While I'm disappointed in the results so far this series, I'm estatic for our future beginning next year. Time for Jarmo to make some big boy moves, as our window is here .

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
My honest thoughts on the series..

1. The Penguins are just better than us.. Just look at the skating/passing/vision that they show out there. I just don't think we have the skill that can compete with them on this team

2. I hope we can see a bit more out of Wennberg, but he's not a #1 Center. And, I'm not going to get into the debate of "never should have traded Johansen" We were able to get Seth Jones in the deal.

3. Sergei Bobrovsky- Isn't playing like regular season "Bob". We pretty much all knew that our chances in the playoffs hinged on him being LIGHTS OUT.

4. Werenski- Warrior

5. What an atmosphere. Place was rocking all game long. Going to miss Blue Jacket hockey over the summer.

Good summary. If I were looking to recap the series to someone who has not been watching, this is probably the post I would share.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Not to worry.....no shortage of Eeyores on the Board

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I'm totally shell shocked from that come back, Bob used to be unbeatable if we gave him 3 goals. Never in a million years would I have thought he would give up 11 goals in 3 games. I would start Korpi in Game 4, he can't be any worse

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

CBJ CBJ CBJ

Exactly.... its like people want to carry the same pessimism of all the past jackets failures, and just cant wait to melt down, the world is ending , type posts. If you look at the talent level, between Pitt, and Cbj, its not like we are choking. Well except Bob. Team has played well enough to win the 2 of the first 3, with just good goaltending. Unfortunately Bob has been terrible in the playoffs. This series will be the best thing that has happened to the jackets. Jd and Jarmo , I'm sure ,can see the upgrades we need to make, and we have an arsenal of assets to make the moves needed. We have too many of the same type player. Hartnell, Jenner, Foligno, Dubinsky, and we need a major infusion of team speed, and more skilled players. Bjorkstrand , needs players that can skate and open up the ice. Time to shop Murray, Wennberg, Pld:naughty: as all options should be on the table. This team has a defense , and supposedly a goalie, that are one of the best in the Nhl. The jackets have finally arrived, now we just need the right pieces.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Exactly.... its like people want to carry the same pessimism of all the past jackets failures, and just cant wait to melt down, the world is ending , type posts. If you look at the talent level, between Pitt, and Cbj, its not like we are choking. Well except Bob. Team has played well enough to win the 2 of the first 3, with just good goaltending. Unfortunately Bob has been terrible in the playoffs. This series will be the best thing that has happened to the jackets. Jd and Jarmo , I'm sure ,can see the upgrades we need to make, and we have an arsenal of assets to make the moves needed. We have too many of the same type player. Hartnell, Jenner, Foligno, Dubinsky, and we need a major infusion of team speed, and more skilled players. Bjorkstrand , needs players that can skate and open up the ice. Time to shop Murray, Wennberg, Pld:naughty: as all options should be on the table. This team has a defense , and supposedly a goalie, that are one of the best in the Nhl. The jackets have finally arrived, no we just need the right pieces.

The team is good. Just being let down by goaltending when it matter most.

If we lose Jack in the expansion draft, it is the most significant offseason blow right now. I've liked his game in the playoffs and it's hard to replace a guy that big and mobile. Carlson looks okay, but years away from that sort of responsibility.

Speed would be very nice to add. Outside of Atkinson and Jones we don't have anyone with grade A wheels.

You'd have to think with

Jones
ZW
Jack
Savard
---
Murray
Carlson
Nuttivara
Harrington

and the prospects of Jones + ZW playing 25+ minutes a night, there is something to be moved here. Carlson replicates Murray's game more than anyone else's IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad