Post-Game Talk: PO #3 | Penguins - 5 @ Flyers - 1 | GAME 3 (L) - What's the next step.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Giving up in the 3rd is unacceptable. Hakstol still sucks.

Kids look good at least.

Landing Patrick alone in the lottery should have Flyers fans excited about this year. Even if they do lose to the Pens , knowing you have a talent like that whos only going to get better each year should be enough.

That was huge for the franchise that could finally pay off down the road( to go along with all of other young guys). Its not often a good team is able to land someone like Patrick.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Didn't read any of the GDT, so I'm not sure what's been touched on, but my basic thoughts on this game... deadhead essay style.

To start with the positive side, for most of the game we out-shot and out-chanced them. Obviously finishing those chances are what's important, but it's a good sign that they were able to have a hot start and pin the Pens in their own zone for a while. Despite the score being crazy one-sided, the quality of play wasn't as bad as a typical 1-5 game.

A massive issue was discipline. So many stupid penalties that gave the Pens 3 PP goals and also helped kill all the momentum/confidence the team started the game with.

The other thing that killed them was goaltending. Elliott is just awful and they have no chance if he stays in net. If Neuvirth can't come back and be an improvement, they're done. Like I said, they started off strong, but Elliott quickly gave up a backbreaking goal and it all started to fall apart. You think players don't get effected by stuff like that? Our idiot media can talk all day about how they "trust Elliott", but that's almost certainly not the case. The players aren't stupid. They'd never admit it, but they know they can't rely on their goalie and you better believe that effects how they play. There's a reason teams look better when winning or other times they're "loose" and don't have a ton of pressure on them. I've said it a million times, this team seems to rely on confidence and momentum more than others and as soon as a weak goal goes in... poof... gone...

As I said, I didn't read a single post during the game or prior to this post, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume there was blame towards the top guys, since the team lost and obviously that automatically means it was all their fault. In reality, outside of the bad penalties, they didn't play bad. Plenty of scoring chances and opportunities, but no luck. Konecny MUST go back to the top line for them to have any chance. Raffl is an empty jersey who is adding exactly nothing to the line and Konecny can't play with trash like Simmonds or Filppula anymore. Switching the lines up and putting him with Patrick and Voracek was idiotic because Lindblom was very clearly not the problem here, so scapegoating him to the 4th line is insane.

Giroux is being wasted in the same way that TK is being wasted, just the wrong mix of players for his skillset, ESPECIALLY against a team like the Pens. Couts isn't playing bad, but he's not a player that's going to get open for shots in the offensive zone... and Raffl is 100% useless. Couturiers strong spots in the offensive zone are basically along the boards or in front of the net. TK is exactly what Giroux needs, someone who can get open and then rip a shot. The perfect compliment to Giroux skillset. That combo also helps Couturier because when TK and Giroux are flying around the zone, shooting all the time, he can battle along the boards and then go to the front of the net for rebounds, which is obviously where he's usually scoring from. This is all extremely obvious stuff that 99% of posts on here can see, plain as day... but somehow we're going to get eliminated from the playoffs before this adjustment is made.

To me, the best possible lineup is pretty easily:
Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek
Raffl-Laughton-Read
Weal-Filppula-Simmonds

Speaking of players... the icetime was horrifically spread out tonight.

Couturier at 26 minutes is going to wear on him too much
Konecny at 12 minutes is a joke, 10 minutes at 5v5?
Laughton with 6 minutes is stupid, how is he not on the PK at least?
Sanheim can handle more than 16 minutes, especially when he's been one of our best players overall

So basically, ignoring the depth issues that can't be changed right now, the two biggest issues are still goaltending and the way the players are being misused. Both in quantity and fit... exactly as expected and exactly as it will continue to be, so long as Hakstol's stupid as refuses to fix the problems he's made.

Remember after last game when the contrarians were begging for Hakstol to get praise? As if them winning that one game validated his stupid choices? Well this is exactly why he didn't deserve it. The short-sighted fools don't realize that winning doesn't mean he made the right choice... it happened in spite of his choices and it was only a matter of time before it screwed us again... like we just saw. Predictable, as always.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Uh, because Laughton is brain dead?
Laughton actually was playing better with Lehtera at center, then he takes a really stupid penalty.
Sanheim gets 16 minutes because Provorov gets 20+, Ghost gets 20 and he's not playing PK at this late stage of the season or PP1.

TK should go back on the first line, but that's not really going to make a big difference, he was the only spark on the bottom six, move him up and that's 16-18 ES minutes where you just pray there's not a Penguin goal. Because we're not scoring, not with Laughton at center, who couldn't pass his way out of a paper bag. Or Filppula, or Lehtera.

This series is merely demonstrating what we already knew, this team wasn't good enough to match up against the Penguins over 7 games, and with Playoff Murray back, they don't have a snowball's chance in hell.

But it's a great experience for the young players which should accelerate their development. So it has real value.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
"Earn Tomorrow." That's what was on the t-shirts at the game. I just know that is some dumb Hakstol-ism he repeats to the team. I know it.

See, Dave doesn't believe in carpe diem: earning today. Play for the next shift. Yesterday, he pridefully said they made it a 5-game series.

it was originally " hey lou nolan can you get me an URN TOMORROW for this team and my job" but lou being the sweetheart he is thought he meant EARN TOMORROW.

Reactions: BernieParent

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
If we are going to beat the Pens, our top players have to at least play even with theirs. That hasn't happened. I mean the idea we should trade G or Voracek is mind-numbingly stupid, but they certainly can and should take some criticism for not producing.

The Pens scored 3 PPGs and we had none. Execution on offense wasn't good even if the effort was there (especially early).

Reactions: TheKingPin

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Started out the 1st great had a couple bad breaks then played the 2nd period afraid to give up another goal and took stupid penalties. 3rd period just gave up trying. Why is it we do not finish checks ? Why is it nobody hits anyone ? This figure skating hockey plays into what the pens do best. We need to be hitting their guys every chance we get.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And you assume he'd score that way against Pittsburgh?

Brave assumption.

Especially the way Murray is playing.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
"Earn Tomorrow." That's what was on the t-shirts at the game. I just know that is some dumb Hakstol-ism he repeats to the team. I know it.

See, Dave doesn't believe in carpe diem: earning today. Play for the next shift. Yesterday, he pridefully said they made it a 5-game series.
Ironic. Like Hakstol has earned his next game behind the bench hahahaha

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Not sure how this game is not on the top players. Their top players literally all did very well. Crosby had his best playoff game in 10 years or whatever they said. G caused a goal even if Elliot could have had it. Jake was his usual dumb self. Simmonds is an absolute no show. Those guys need to step up. We are getting production from the kids and Couts so that should mean we win in a blowout bc jake and G are so productive usually. Simmer should be a fourth liner. Manning out. Lehtera out. Plan on playing the entire game Wednesday no matter what the pens do. I don’t see why they can’t win one here. The key is to finish the chances. That means that G and Jake need to be the one getting the chances. Laughton and filp aren’t going to finish anything. Put TK back on the top line needs to happen. Idk it doesn’t really matter this year but at least go for it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Uh, because Laughton is brain dead?
Laughton actually was playing better with Lehtera at center, then he takes a really stupid penalty.
Sanheim gets 16 minutes because Provorov gets 20+, Ghost gets 20 and he's not playing PK at this late stage of the season or PP1.

TK should go back on the first line, but that's not really going to make a big difference, he was the only spark on the bottom six, move him up and that's 16-18 ES minutes where you just pray there's not a Penguin goal. Because we're not scoring, not with Laughton at center, who couldn't pass his way out of a paper bag. Or Filppula, or Lehtera.

This series is merely demonstrating what we already knew, this team wasn't good enough to match up against the Penguins over 7 games, and with Playoff Murray back, they don't have a snowball's chance in hell.

But it's a great experience for the young players which should accelerate their development. So it has real value.
Laughton > Lehtera or Fillpula, which is all that matters.
Sanheim is one of our best players this series and should be played like it

TK being a "spark on the bottom 6" means absolutely nothing. The top 6 had to carry the bottom 6 all year long. A little late to hope you can fix the broken lines. Our only chance is loading up the top 6 and hoping it's enough.

This series is exposing how unqualified Hakstol is. The team isn't good enough to win the series, but making them worse than they should be is inexcusable. His job is to give them the best possible chance to win, not say "f*** it, doesn't matter if I make them worse since they aren't good enough to start with".

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
As as far as Murray. Start getting tips and shot passes going. Plenty of time to work on it. The pens have very little to improve on. Hopefully the flyers take advantage of the break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad