Confirmed with Link: PNC Getting New 4,000 sq. ft Daktronics Scoreboard in 2019

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
PNC Arena Adding 4,000-Sq.-Ft. Daktronics Centerhung LED Display System

cut.jpg

"We are committed to maintaining PNC Arena as a first-class facility and providing enhancements that create the best possible fan experience for all events," said The Centennial Authority Chairman Thomas McCormick. "We are excited to unveil the new centerhung scoreboard at the opening of the 2019-20 Carolina Hurricanes and NC State men's basketball seasons."

The centerhung system is curved around the corners to provide a large, single-canvas presentation that is HDR ready and capable. This single-canvas presentation measures approximately 25 feet high by 148 feet wide and features 5.9-millimeter line spacing to bring high-resolution imagery to fans throughout the arena. Each side of the centerhung display provides a 25-foot-high by 47-foot-wide viewing experience while each end measures 25 feet high by 27 feet wide.

"This new video system will bring a larger-than-life experience to fans and event attendees at PNC Arena," said Daktronics President and CEO Reece Kurtenbach. "We're excited to work with PNC Arena, the Carolina Hurricanes and NC State to bring this improved visual centerpiece to their events. As the fan experience at live events continues to be paramount, our team remains dedicated to providing the best possible solutions for our customers to help them exceed their entertainment goals."

Two displays are mounted to the underbelly of the centerhung system to appeal to fans, players and coaches sitting rinkside or courtside. Each display measures approximately 10 feet high by 20 feet wide and features 3.9-millimeter line spacing to provide optimized resolution for those viewers.

The main display features variable content zoning allowing it to show one large image or multiple zoned images. Live video, instant replay, statistics and game information, graphics and animations, and sponsorship messages can all be shown simultaneously or take over the entire display in coordination with specific moments during the event.

cut.png

Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

Out with the old, in with the new...

I’ve always wondered what they do with the old Jumbotrons. The old one wasn’t bad. Wonder if they sell it, donate it, or scrap it?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Dundon has sold off the old scoreboard and is moving the franchise in the new age direction. Figures, everyone has a smartphone where stats and score can be seen, why spend the money on a redundant scoreboard?

You’d have to have decent phone service or WiFi in the arena for that to be the case. I can still barely check scores of other games on LTE from PNC...

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Agreed. I was having the expected struggles at an event on cell data, but the wifi was working rather well for me.
Yeah, I was surprised. Usually when I walk into the arena, my phone enters a neverending cycle of looking for a signal which causes it to heat up, slow down, and the battery to drain fast. Even WiFi in the past just wasn't strong and it would drop constantly.

These playoffs were different, and the signal remained strong throughout. Which is impressive considering we were busy setting attendance records by the day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad