Post-Game Talk: Plus-Minus Thread | Penguins 7, Canadiens 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

roready

Brink, Truth, Life
Jul 10, 2012
iligbpa
+ to Beau Bennett for an assist and making some plays as well as being physical at times.

The moment has come. Will Beau be sent back down to WBS (he is getting close to the big 10th game)?

Beau is 104th in the league in PP goals.
Beau is 112th in the league in shooting percentage.
Beau is 470th in the league in points (only playing 8 games).

What is your verdict? Where is Beau gunna go (or stay)?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
+ to Beau Bennett for an assist and making some plays as well as being physical at times.

The moment has come. Will Beau be sent back down to WBS (he is getting close to the big 10th game)?

Beau is 104th in the league in PP goals.
Beau is 112th in the league in shooting percentage.
Beau is 470th in the league in points (only playing 8 games).

What is your verdict? Where is Beau gunna go (or stay)?

There is no 10th-game (I believe it's 6 in the shortened season) marker for Bennett. That only applies to players in Juniors.

As far as whether or not he'll go back to WB/S, I kinda wish he would... if they aren't going to play him 12+ minutes a night. I think he's earned those minutes, I think he's good enough for 3rd-line (or better) minutes, but... Tyler Kennedy?

roready

Brink, Truth, Life
Jul 10, 2012
iligbpa
There is no 10th-game (I believe it's 6 in the shortened season) marker for Bennett. That only applies to players in Juniors.

As far as whether or not he'll go back to WB/S, I kinda wish he would... if they aren't going to play him 12+ minutes a night. I think he's earned those minutes, I think he's good enough for 3rd-line (or better) minutes, but... Tyler Kennedy?

So he doesn't need to clear waivers? If the answer is yes, I'm sorry for the mis-information.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Day Pray is probably as close as an english person can come to saying his name properly. But the truth is you can't really speak english and pronounce his name the way you should.

Actually, the Day part is accurate for both languages. But it's hard to come up with the correct sound in english for the Pray part. It's something like "Preh" if that makes any sense.

It's less about the pronunciation to me, and more about how Cole has to slowly and deliberately enunciate every syllable of every single word he says.

It's like Stevie from Malcolm in the Middle as an old white dude.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Hard to say who's "better" because they play a different style of game, but offensively Sutter has th equicker moves and better shot when given the opportunity. Staal is harder to handle defensively without question. Maybe harder to take the puck away from also when he's got clear ice. He's also got about 2" and 35 lbs on Sutter probably. So you know... he's got that going for him.

Carl-Spackler-1980.jpg

No, it's pretty darn easy to say who's better. BTW: Its Staal, and its really not all that close.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
But make no mistake. We still haven't recovered from Staal's absence. That's mostly Shero's fault.

Seriously? How do you figure? And I'm not trying to be an ass, but that genuinely does not compute with me. We replaced Staal with a player that currently has more goals, a much better +/- (I don't care what anyone says about that stat, it serves a purpose, especially with a margin of 10 as in this case), and is just as good on the PK.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Yes it is unfair that Kennedy is getting more ice time, but Bennett has still for the majority been getting consistent shifts and been doing something with his time. The only reason he should be sent back is if we are aggressive enough at the deadline that Dupuis and Cooke are both third line players.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
No, it's pretty darn easy to say who's better. BTW: Its Staal, and its really not all that close.

I definitely wouldn't go far enough to say that Sutter is better, but you could certainly make the argument that he's a better fit for our team being a defense-first guy that embraces the 3C role.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
It's less about the pronunciation to me, and more about how Cole has to slowly and deliberately enunciate every syllable of every single word he says.

It's like Stevie from Malcolm in the Middle as an old white dude.

I once heard Cole refer to center ice as "the big zone". No word a lie. Actually, it might have the Pens/Jets game from a few weeks ago.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Bennett played 8:15 of ES, 1:00 on PP. His line mates, Jeffrey and Kennedy, played 12:50 and 12:36 respectively. Tyler Kennedy played 3+ minutes more than Bennett despite spending 4 minutes in the penalty box. (Not even talking about "holding him accountable", just mean he got 3 extra minutes while having 4 fewer minutes available to him).

I would not complain about Bennett's ice time if he was getting the same amount of ice time as his 3rd-line partners, who are getting all of their time via the same routes (ie: they don't have inflated time due to being on the PK)

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
As I've said, I think the FO knows Kennedy is no longer a part of this teams future. So instead of benching him, reducing his minutes...decision is to keep things the same and trade him at the deadline. At this point he is useless in our eyes, but I do not think that is the case around the league. He wouldn't just be a throw in , in the minds of other GMs. He was pretty good for us during our cup years, it's well known...he was apart of the best 3rd line in hockey....he has ton of playoff experience. Those are the things others see. We see how he's played last year and the start of this .

Orpik and Kennedy both have trade value( Orpik higher) , the time to trade them is now. Kennedy is a must before deadline, and Orpik is a must in the offseason. Absolutely do not just let him finish out his contract and walk. I'd even trade Orpik for a 1st round pick in the mid 20s or so( prefer him to go with Kennedy at deadline).

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Bennett played 8:15 of ES, 1:00 on PP. His line mates, Jeffrey and Kennedy, played 12:50 and 12:36 respectively. Tyler Kennedy played 3+ minutes more than Bennett despite spending 4 minutes in the penalty box. (Not even talking about "holding him accountable", just mean he got 3 extra minutes while having 4 fewer minutes available to him).

I would not complain about Bennett's ice time if he was getting the same amount of ice time as his 3rd-line partners, who are getting all of their time via the same routes (ie: they don't have inflated time due to being on the PK)

He's creative. He really should be playing with James Neal.

I'm done with Kennedy. Send him anywhere for anything, at this point.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

I agree with you based on today. Just saying that he has been getting a couple more minutes than this in pretty much all his other games. Don't know why it wouldn't be so this time, particularly with Kennedy once again being lousy.

But if he gets 11-12 minutes from the third line consistently and he keeps playing as solid as he has away from the puck, this is a great learning experience for him.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
As I've said, I think the FO knows Kennedy is no longer a part of this teams future. So instead of benching him, reducing his minutes...decision is to keep things the same and trade him at the deadline. At this point he is useless in our eyes, but I do not think that is the case around the league. He wouldn't just be a throw in , in the minds of other GMs. He was pretty good for us during our cup years, it's well known...he was apart of the best 3rd line in hockey....he has ton of playoff experience. Those are the things others see. We see how he's played last year and the start of this .

Orpik and Kennedy both have trade value( Orpik higher) , the time to trade them is now. Kennedy is a must before deadline, and Orpik is a must in the offseason. Absolutely do not just let him finish out his contract and walk.

OR, other GMs see Kennedy for what he is...a $2 million winger who plays with blinders on, displaying zero hockey sense, taking bad penalties and no longer winning board battles regularly. They see a guy who doesn't play special teams and who is no longer effective without Staal next to him.

He's not a throw-in, you're right. We need to spruce up any offer for someone to take Kennedy off our hands. The only two assets the Penguins have with less value on the trade front right now are the fourth-line wingers. That's it.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
OR, other GMs see Kennedy for what he is...a $2 million winger who plays with blinders on, displaying zero hockey sense, taking bad penalties and no longer winning board battles regularly. They see a guy who doesn't play special teams and who is no longer effective without Staal next to him.

He's not a throw-in, you're right. We need to spruce up any offer for someone to take Kennedy off our hands. The only two assets the Penguins have with less value on the trade front right now are the fourth-line wingers. That's it.

Deadlines are always filled with surprises. There's always a GM out there basing acquisitions on the past, thinking a change of scenery is all thats needed. Don't be surprised if Kennedy can fetch something of value, is what I'm saying. He will be moved.

And his 2 million means nothing

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I agree with you based on today. Just saying that he has been getting a couple more minutes than this in pretty much all his other games. Don't know why it wouldn't be so this time, particularly with Kennedy once again being lousy.

But if he gets 11-12 minutes from the third line consistently and he keeps playing as solid as he has away from the puck, this is a great learning experience for him.

I'm only talking about today, but because of the past, if that makes sense? This is just another example of the things that annoy me about Bylsma. Kennedy plays like ****, takes 2 killer penalties, gets more time. Bennett plays great, gets less time.

By the way, can someone find the missing 3 minutes for me? Crosby's line has almost identical ES numbers, so I'm assuming they played together almost exclusively (minus D-zone FOs for Sid and post-PP blender shifts for Dupuis). Can't tell which forward was playing extra time on the 3rd-line. Unless that entire time is 4-on-4 and "blender".

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Deadlines are always filled with surprises. There's always a GM out there basing acquisitions on the past, thinking a change of scenery is all thats needed. Don't be surprised if Kennedy can fetch something of value, is what I'm saying. He will be moved.

And his 2 million means nothing

It means a lot. You have to qualify him as an RFA at $2 million. He's essentially a rental for a team right now, and he's playing terrible hockey. No contender would want that. Why would an also-ran want that?

We're wasting time with Kennedy. Sit him down and let somebody else play. Then don't qualify him and let him walk. These are diminishing returns that aren't coming back.

He's not a big guy. It's quite possible he can no longer be effective playing his style. It happens.

When I talk about making a hockey trade, I don't have Kennedy in mind. Nobody wants him.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Kennedy teased back a few years ago, and has done little since. Of all the impending RFAs/UFAs, he is last on my priority list.

To add to Jag68Sid87, the only way he switches teams is through the waiver wire. No GM would be foolish enough to waste assets on him.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

DB was asked a question the other day before a game if BB would be put on the 2nd line once geno was back and he made it seem like he def would so im assuming once geno comes back his ice time will go up.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
We're wasting time with Kennedy. Sit him down and let somebody else play.

I'm a huge TK fan, but he has been garbage. The problem is, who do you sit him for? Girlchuk? Maybe when Geno gets back, you can bench him, but there's not much in the way of promising forwards that can be called up to replace him.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
It means a lot. You have to qualify him as an RFA at $2 million. He's essentially a rental for a team right now, and he's playing terrible hockey. No contender would want that. Why would an also-ran want that?

We're wasting time with Kennedy. Sit him down and let somebody else play. Then don't qualify him and let him walk. These are diminishing returns that aren't coming back.

He's not a big guy. It's quite possible he can no longer be effective playing his style. It happens.

When I talk about making a hockey trade, I don't have Kennedy in mind. Nobody wants him.

I'm just saying, like we've seen so much of...don't underestimate the power of the " change of scenery" when it comes to GMs.

To us, as fans who watch him every game, he has no value. But his recent past does( and this isn't situation where a guy is up there in age) . Not disagreeing with you that he could possibly not be effective with his playing style anymore, I'm saying I do think there is value in a trade. Not as the main asset of course, but to sweeten the deal.

For example , There's a lot here who would love to trade for Setoguchi right? Well there's also of ton of Wild fans that would love for us to have him. They watch him every night, not impressed. Complained about him constantly in their gdt's . Yet people here look at his rep. And want him here, thinking a change of scenery is all that's needed. Now, setoguchi is a level above Kennedy, but I'm just making a point. Don't underestimate what a recent past can do. Also don't underestimate the stupidity of some GMs ( feaster).

The whole point in me bringing all of this up, is that it has to be the only reason Kennedy continues to play and get that many minutes. Why scratch a player you are trying to move before the deadline. Even though , lately Kennedy is making it extra hard not to.

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Well Boychuk definitely deserves to play over Kennedy. Beyond that, if anyone other than Kennedy or Glass sits for Geno, it's just beyond stupid.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm just saying, like we've seen so much of...don't underestimate the power of the " change of scenery" when it comes to GMs.

To us, as fans who watch him every game, he has no value. But his recent past does( and this isn't situation where a guy is up there in age) . Not disagreeing with you that he could possibly not be effective with his playing style anymore, I'm saying I do think there is value in a trade. Not as the main asset of course, but to sweeten the deal.

For example , There's a lot here who would love to trade for Setoguchi right? Well there's also of ton of Wild fans that would love for us to have him. They watch him every night, not impressed. Complained about him constantly in their gdt's . Yet people here look at his rep. And want him here, thinking a change of scenery is all that's needed. Now, setoguchi is a level above Kennedy, but I'm just making a point. Don't underestimate what a recent past can do. Also don't underestimate the stupidity of some GMs ( feaster).

I've watched enough of Setoguchi this year and the recent past to want no part of him, either.

I hear what you're saying, but Kennedy goes beyond the 'change of scenery' level of suckitude right now.

Nobody wants an overpaid third liner who isn't big, doesn't shift disturb anymore, can't score, has zero hockey IQ and can't stay out of the penalty box for all the wrong reasons.

We're fooling ourselves if we think he has trade value.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Well Boychuk definitely deserves to play over Kennedy. Beyond that, if anyone other than Kennedy or Glass sits for Geno, it's just beyond stupid.

Its gonna be Vitale or DJ. If Martin is back Monday be interesting to see who sits it makes no sense but i think he will bench despres. Eaton played 19 minutes tonight and didn't play bad

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Boychuk somewhat solves the Kennedy problem. Whatever people thought of Boychuk, he certainly isn't a liability on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad