Post-Game Talk: Plus-Minus Thread | Hurricanes 4, Penguins 1

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We've been garbage against quite a few teams now. Islanders, Leafs, Devils, Flyers, Panthers and now the Canes. Bottom feeders and playoff teams alike.

We're 5-5 in the last 10. And we're heading into Saturday playing one of the hottest teams in the league. If they don't show up again, we got serious issues.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
We've been garbage against quite a few teams now. Islanders, Leafs, Devils, Flyers, Panthers and now the Canes. Bottom feeders and playoff teams alike.

We're 5-5 in the last 10. And we're heading into Saturday playing one of the hottest teams in the league. If they don't show up again, we got serious issues.

That's why a sick part of me wants them to get blown out, just to highlight the problems on the team. Chances are they will win somehow and further prolong the inevitable.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Fleury got hung out to dry last night in the worst way -- even the coach was willing to admit that. When you give NHLers open shots from 7 or 8 feet away, your goalie is screwed. It was the same play on at least 3 of those goals. Draw Fleury to the side, quick centering pass to player streaking towards the net, zero coverage, boom. Tlsuty did it TWICE. Once from a few feet out, once at the doorstep. Skinner... pff. You give that guy an open shot from that close, he'll score 90 times out of 100.

Our defense is a travesty around the net and on the breakout. How many times did we center the puck to a Hurricanes player in our own zone last night? 6? 7? It's ****ing ridiculous. That's the kind of crap you expect from a lottery team. Orpik was right in one respect: we make the same mistake over and over. Unfortunately for him, he's one of the guys repeating the mistakes. In his case, missing coverage in front of the net on a regular basis.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Another gem. 8:04. Letang's PP TOI last night. Most of any player, by a wide margin.

That's just inexcusable. **** off DB.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I don't know what's happened to Tanger this year. He was really solid on the PP last year before he got hurt. Was putting pucks on net, making good passes... it's like he forgot how to do all that stuff.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Bylsma said in his post game interview that Martin left with a lower body injury. I don't remember hearing the announcers say anything during the game but at that point I was too pissed off to pay attention to what they were saying anyway. The only thing I remember was Errey losing his mind for a handful of minutes over Crosby making a between the legs pass in a blowout game.

The closest they got was Steigerwald mentioned in passing "We haven't seen Paul Martin lately, did something happen to him?" *shrug*

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I don't know what's happened to Tanger this year. He was really solid on the PP last year before he got hurt. Was putting pucks on net, making good passes... it's like he forgot how to do all that stuff.

I hate to say it but Tanger has been playing like hot garbage in general since he came back this season.

Especially the last few games.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

He's never been a legit PP point guy. Niskanen replaced him for long stretches last season. Gogo before that. And Gonchar would cover up quite a bit before that.

He ****ing sucks on the PP.

It's not the end of the world if he doesn't get 1st unit PP minutes. Duncan Keith is a pretty damn good D-man and he's been on and off their top unit for awhile.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Fleury got hung out to dry last night in the worst way -- even the coach was willing to admit that. When you give NHLers open shots from 7 or 8 feet away, your goalie is screwed. It was the same play on at least 3 of those goals. Draw Fleury to the side, quick centering pass to player streaking towards the net, zero coverage, boom. Tlsuty did it TWICE. Once from a few feet out, once at the doorstep. Skinner... pff. You give that guy an open shot from that close, he'll score 90 times out of 100.

Our defense is a travesty around the net and on the breakout. How many times did we center the puck to a Hurricanes player in our own zone last night? 6? 7? It's ****ing ridiculous. That's the kind of crap you expect from a lottery team. Orpik was right in one respect: we make the same mistake over and over. Unfortunately for him, he's one of the guys repeating the mistakes. In his case, missing coverage in front of the net on a regular basis.

To help illustrate your point... the goal scorer is highlighted in each still.

42hXE7z.jpg

xMwYQiR.jpg

DtpsJrP.jpg

XWl0cXd.jpg

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Has the media asked/written about Letang's PP struggles?

I try not to pay attention to anything the Pittsburgh media does when it comes to asking "diagnostic questions". They're clueless. You'll find better information here (just have to dig more to find it). But no, I don't know that anyone has questioned him or the coach about it. We have bigger problems.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Part of it was that he went from being a complimentary piece last year to being a major piece this year (before Martin joined the top unit). Last year, Sully (I still don't get why he wasn't re-signed) and Malkin were the QB's. Letang just doesn't have the poise or distributing ability to play a major role on a top PP unit.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
To help illustrate your point... the goal scorer is highlighted in each still.

42hXE7z.jpg

xMwYQiR.jpg

DtpsJrP.jpg

XWl0cXd.jpg

Yeah that's just hockey 101. We don't have a forward covering the high slot and our 2 D end up running around. Put your head on a swivel and pick up a man. There is no excuse for that.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I try not to pay attention to anything the Pittsburgh media does when it comes to asking "diagnostic questions". They're clueless. You'll find better information here (just have to dig more to find it). But no, I don't know that anyone has questioned him or the coach about it. We have bigger problems.

Just curious if it was even acknowledged by the coaching staff.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Just curious if it was even acknowledged by the coaching staff.

Not that I know of.

Part of it was that he went from being a complimentary piece last year to being a major piece this year (before Martin joined the top unit). Last year, Sully (I still don't get why he wasn't re-signed) and Malkin were the QB's. Letang just doesn't have the poise or distributing ability to play a major role on a top PP unit.

Good points. I forgot about Sully doing his thing early in the year. I tend to agree at this point Letang is never going to grow into the PPQB position (even as a second option). That said I think it's nuts to try and bring Gonch back as some have said, because that just makes us weak in other areas (unless we're not playing him except during PP and big leads.

I think if he's doing well in AHL, next fall it will be time to give Morrow his shot. I have a good feeling about that kid. I think like Bennett and Despres, he'll actually play better when given responsibility at the NHL level vs. AHL after a certain point (learning the system, etc).

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I am convinced that people that write about hockey don't actually watch it.

This article says Letang is the leading Norris candidate now that Karlsson is done. It is date 2/26/13. :laugh:

It wouldn't be nearly as hilarious if another player on the same team was AN ACTUAL Norris nominee and rightfully so.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2013/02/26/power-rankings-norris-trophy-race/1947943/

Wow... that is pretty sad. But then again it's USA Today, the newspaper literally written for people with a 6th grade reading level / education. Doesn't shock me that it's superficial in its reporting.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Wow this comment from thepensblog makes me appreciate the more critical eye on this board:

"The game sucked from the Penguins' point of view. However, there's no need for bridge jumping just yet. I don't know if it's just me, but I keep coming back to the lockout. It threw a major wrench into everything. I know this was game 21 and you'd think they'd have their **** together by now. But I think the evil lockout is still having an effect on a lot of teams. There was no long training camp to implement systems and develop good habits within those systems. There have been injuries. Teams are playing a lot of back-to-back games or games with just a day in between. Maybe they are pressing too much because of the shortened season and they know a brief losing streak could mean the difference between playoffs and no playoffs. I don't know. But this is the Penguins we're talking about. Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Letang, Orpik, Fleury, Bylsma, Granato, Shero, freaking Lemieux. They all won't stand for mediocrity, which is how the past few games have gone. I'm very confident that the Penguins will get this ship righted. And look for Shero to make a splash at, or before, the deadline I think. "

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah that's just hockey 101. We don't have a forward covering the high slot and our 2 D end up running around. Put your head on a swivel and pick up a man. There is no excuse for that.

Question....where is the other defenseman in that second picture? I see niskanen, but that other guy by the goal post is crosby....

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Wow this comment from thepensblog makes me appreciate the more critical eye on this board:

"The game sucked from the Penguins' point of view. However, there's no need for bridge jumping just yet. I don't know if it's just me, but I keep coming back to the lockout. It threw a major wrench into everything. I know this was game 21 and you'd think they'd have their **** together by now. But I think the evil lockout is still having an effect on a lot of teams. There was no long training camp to implement systems and develop good habits within those systems. There have been injuries. Teams are playing a lot of back-to-back games or games with just a day in between. Maybe they are pressing too much because of the shortened season and they know a brief losing streak could mean the difference between playoffs and no playoffs. I don't know. But this is the Penguins we're talking about. Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Letang, Orpik, Fleury, Bylsma, Granato, Shero, freaking Lemieux. They all won't stand for mediocrity, which is how the past few games have gone. I'm very confident that the Penguins will get this ship righted. And look for Shero to make a splash at, or before, the deadline I think. "

Never underestimate the power of delusion and Yinzer pride. "Granato", "...freaking Lemieux", "won't stand for mediocrity". :laugh:

If that comment were an inanimate object, it would look like this.

is.aspx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad