Post-Game Talk: Plus-minus | Penguins 3, Panthers 1

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
Bylsma: Malkin is getting "further evaluated this evening. We'll know more tomorrow."

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Bennett playing gives the Pens some latitude with the trade deadline. Unlike Dejan who thinks a veteran D Man is the first want, me I still want the RH shot winger for either Malkins or Sids off wing. And he needs to have some size and grit as well. Maybe another Guerin type.

I want someone who isn't soft. Every team should have atleast one player like that.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Well, maybe he'll also note that everyone else has lower body injuries, because the lack of response to the hit on Geno tells me none of them have any balls.

Thats why it annoys me when people want adams benched hes one of the few players on this team who sticks up for their teammates

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I want someone who isn't soft. Every team should have atleast one player like that.

I don't think it's the players. I think it's the coaching. Engelland used to own faces. Did he just decide to stop?

I've heard stories of Bortuzzo doing the same.

Glass has done nothing.

Cooke is neutered.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
AMEN

Yeah, the Pens won a team missing 5 starters that shot it's load the night before against Philly. If I'm another team watching, all I saw is that I can keep going after Letang and Sid and whoever else on the Pens I want, because there's not a ******* thing the Pens will do about it.

I'm really just having trouble understanding what's been going on. I've never seen anything like it. Is the locker room fractured and the guys secretly can't stand each other? Are they being instructed not to do anything physical, ever? Or are they just a roster full of soft *******? It's hard to fathom that a team with the two best players in the world would be surrounded by a bunch of gutless cowards. No reponse to Rinaldo harassing Letang. no response to Cloutier harassing Geno. No response to anything ever. But hey, we got 2 points tonight!!

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
And why does Crosby never get these chances? Best faceoff guy, yet we have Sutter take it.. Sid is also obviously great defensively.. idk why it's like Bylsma doesn't want him to get empty net points. And I realize he was on the ice for like the last 10 seconds.

Pens iced the puck which meant they had to keep Sutter, Kunitz, and Dupuis on there.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I'm with Terrapin and KIRK. This team has its head so far up its ass it doesn't know when to dish out the rough stuff and when to stay cool. When they should be keeping their heads (against Philly), they lash out and when they should be pummeling the crap out of a team with no regard of penalties (Panthers), they do nothing. Frustrating as hell to watch.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
Bylsma: Malkin is getting "further evaluated this evening. We'll know more tomorrow."

That is a bad sign. Likely means there are some symptoms / he didn't pass his dark room test completely. Although I wouldn't be shocked if it's a neck injury more than a concussion injury. Either way it's bad. I'll be amazed if he comes out of this with just a few days off.

fuuuu.jpg
Injury Gods¡¡¡¡¡¡

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009

I agree.

I definitely sensed him being very frustrated tonight, either by others not finishing or him not getting the puck back. He started forcing stuff, wasn't shooting (maybe a little in the third, finally)...but not himself tonight.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'm with Terrapin and KIRK. This team has its head so far up its ass it doesn't know when to dish out the rough stuff and when to stay cool. When they should be keeping their heads (against Philly), they lash out and when they should be pummeling the crap out of a team with no regard of penalties (Panthers), they do nothing. Frustrating as hell to watch.

You'd almost think there should be one consistent authority figure type person there to tell these guys what they should do in certain situations...

...yeah too bad we don't have one of those.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I thought it was pretty telling that the Panthers didn't dress George Parros tonight. Other teams don't think coming into Pittsburgh is a 'tough night at the office' anymore.

When the other team dresses a fourth line of Kovalev-Smithson-Santorelli, it speaks volumes imo.

I'm with Iced...this comes from the bench, ON PAPER we shouldn't be this soft. We've lost some toughness over the years and I really think we could use a true enforcer, but we shouldn't be this soff.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think it's the players. I think it's the coaching. Engelland used to own faces. Did he just decide to stop?

Glass has done nothing.

Cooke is neutered.

You could be right. You've got to admit: The reaction to that was nothing short of pathetic. But, this **** has been going on all season. It's been MMA on the forecheck against Letang on most nights, and nobody does a ******* thing. Last game, Geno gets cross checked 20 times in a row and has to stick up for himself.

It's on coaching, because half the coaches in this league would've told their players to **** somebody up. And, it's on Ray Shero. This is his roster, and this team has become, as I keep saying, what he swore it never again would be the day he became GM: The Pens are a soft team that is easy to play against.

I'm just surprised at this point that more teams aren't taking more liberties with Sid. Got to think after this one that it's not a green light for them to make it open season on any Penguins star.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
+ Ultimately a good win where we ground them down, had lots of offensive zone time and got lots of good work from our D-men standing up and supporting the forecheck/cycle.
+ Fine, fine games from Letang, Nisky and Despres (who I think should have had more ice time for sure).
+ Bennett looks the best he has so far. Big talent who should come good for us down the line. Up to Sutter as well.
+ Fleury looked real solid tonight.

- Malkin's injury.
- Malkin/Neal plus whoever was on the line. We will be a great team on most nights when Malkin's line is back to being a factor even strength.
- Crosby started out well I thought, but put himself into a funk with terrible passing decisions on our PP, and ended up playing a blah! game.
- Kennedy in most all ways. Surreal that you can look as bad as that and be plus 5 with goal and an assist over the past two.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007

Glass has done nothing.

Cooke is neutered.

I still maintain it comes from the very top, and was brought about by the Islanders fiasco. It's a shame because the Pens were apparently the only team that decided to turn soft.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
We gotta remember concussions usually last days or weeks what sid went through isn't normal. Even if hes out weeks or even a month its not the end of the world.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
I thought Fleury played well. Didn't have a chance on that goal but he continued his strong play. Hope to see him keep his play at this level and above!

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
I wouldn't mind a Gary Roberts esque rugged vet winger, but a scoring winger is still top priority, IMO.

Bennett showed more tonight than Tangradi did in his entire NHL career. THAT is what earns a rookie ice time.

I think Jeffrey should play over Glass. I wouldn't mind if he plays over Vitale or Adams either. But for the time being, he's an adequate 3rd line C.

Fleury is good again. Wierd how he slumps in the first month of every season.

Sad to beat Florida by only 2 goals. Not encouraging.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm really just having trouble understanding what's been going on. I've never seen anything like it. Is the locker room fractured and the guys secretly can't stand each other? Are they being instructed not to do anything physical, ever? Or are they just a roster full of soft *******? It's hard to fathom that a team with the two best players in the world would be surrounded by a bunch of gutless cowards. No reponse to Rinaldo harassing Letang. no response to Cloutier harassing Geno. No response to anything ever. But hey, we got 2 points tonight!!

I don't know what it is.

Look, we've talked about red flags all season with the roster and the coaching. As bad as some of those moments have been-- and I thought the Philly redux debacle on Wednesday was about as low as it could go-- the reaction to what happened to Geno should be screaming alarm bells.

We've been discussing a guy like Malone in the other thread. I wouldn't take him at a full cap hit, but I'd take him at 75%. On Wednesday, Couturier never would've thrown a second cross check, because Malone would've killed him. As for what happened tonight, you send Geno to the dressing room, he'll send one of yours to the morgue. That's the Malone way. And, that's what is missing from the team. The stench starts with the general manager and extends to the coaching staff on this one.

Zatch88

Im stumbling spheres
Oct 20, 2011
Johnstown
- Anyone still want to talk about this teams 'toughness'? This team is the biggest collection of sissies I've seen in decades. Name one other team in the league in the last 50 years that would have absolutely no response to their star player getting launched into the boards and leaving w/ a possible concussion. Just embarrassing. Whether the hit was dirty or not (I don't think it was) shouldn't matter.

we get it dude, you wanna see violence.

Its not like the guy intentionaly slammed malkin into the boards. Malkin tripped and was in a horrible position. Nothing to really retaliate about.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
You'd almost think there should be one consistent authority figure type person there to tell these guys what they should do in certain situations...

...yeah too bad we don't have one of those.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic but I put some of it on Crosby, most of it on the coach. There's a benefit to "leading by always keeping your head" but there's also a cost to it. We saw that tonight and maybe after tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad