Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus Flyers vs Pens 2/20/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Vokoun let in 3 hilarious softies. Just caught one of them on the NHL Network during lunch. I'm pretty sure after watching it a second time, I don't feel any better. ;)

He almost looked like a guy who was trying to give the game away. I don't think he was but that's how bad it looked.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
Malkin is a big baby, he gets so frustrated by a kid and takes to many dumb penalties, and he leads our team in penalties. Yeah I know he has all this talent,but its worthless when hes in the box. If I was GM I would trade him and get a huge return, plus free up major cap room. I think all these games in the KHL made he a worse player.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Penguins Crosby, Niskanen fire back at NBC's Milbury

"The big guys, Malkin and Crosby," Milbury said. "They're like crack addicts. They can't get enough of this offensive stuff. They want to go coast to coast and score goals, but it leads to some trouble."

"I wasn't aware of it," Crosby said, with more than a hint of sarcasm in his voice. "He watches so much hockey, he must know. I'll try to do a better job of playing defensively."

"It's a little irritating," Penguins defenseman Matt Niskanen said. "I try not to get too flustered by it. He always has a bonehead remark to make."

"He's said some bizarre things about us since I got here (in 2011)," Niskanen said. "He's definitely got something against us."

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/3528590-74/crosby-penguins-milbury#ixzz2LZGH6GYp
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

SteelFish87*

Milbury and Keith Jones or whatever are total clowns, cant believe they haven't gotten fired yet

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Love Crosby and Niskanen feeding the biggest troll out there! Can't wait for the next nbc broadcast, when Milbury accuses Crosby of ****** kittens, stealing virgins, and being an all-around bad captain.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
Will it? Either way, if main board Pens-bashing hurts your feelings, I don't know what to say. 'Cause it certainly doesn't hurt theirs.

It doesn't hurt my feelings obviously, but I'm surprised that you think there can be any level-headed Penguins discussion on the main boards, let alone about a topic that involves the media and Sidney Crosby.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Any grown man who would assault another grown man with his own footwear isn't worthy of the time to even consider his opinion. Didn't he also just get arrested or something for smacking around a little kid? It's Milbury. Just laugh it off because anything that comes out of his mouth is patently idiotic. I don't even know why the players bothered to respond to it tbh.

You've got to love a commentator calling players "crack heads" on a nationally televised game, though. :laugh:

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Malkin is a big baby, he gets so frustrated by a kid and takes to many dumb penalties, and he leads our team in penalties. Yeah I know he has all this talent,but its worthless when hes in the box. If I was GM I would trade him and get a huge return, plus free up major cap room. I think all these games in the KHL made he a worse player.

God forbid he gets frustrated by getting cross checked 6+ times and once in the face. Oh, let's trade the reigning Hart and Art Ross winner as well. :rolleyes::facepalm:

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I´ve closely watched every Flyers´ goal multiple times and I have to say that Vokoun was even worse than I initially thought. He was that HORRIFIC that I can´t even describe it. Worse than the worst MAF´s PO game vs Flyers. Absolutely brutal.

1st goal: WTF was he doing there. He is swimming in the crease like a crazy frog, getting out of the position everytime. Then he watched that crazy stuff for like 10 seconds doing absolutely nothing to help the team there. Awful.

2nd goal: I am not blaming him for this one, but I think he could do a better job using a pokecheck there. I´m sure that aggressive goalie like Brodeur would do it. Vokoun was too passive, in a difficult situation though..

3rd goal: Not a best rebound right into Simmonds. He had plenty of time to move to the other side to cover Voracek´s shot. He was moving extremely slowly.

4th goal: Bad hesitation behind the net. Whistle should be blowed then, but Vokoun´s mistake behind the net was why it happened. And once again, he was out of the crease.

5th goal: Not his fault.

6th goal: Absolutely brutal. He had no business to let the team down like this after all those mistakes he made and after all that effort the boys showed to tie the game. I love Sutter and I thought this will be a huge goal for him to earn a great credit in Pittsburgh. Vokoun nullified his big goal, so sad.

Bylsma should pull Vokoun after that 4th goal. He shouldn´t even start him, we had Panthers coming for that purpose. I´m rooting for Fleury now. So disappointed, that was a heartbreaker and I couldn´t sleep after that.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Honestly, if the Pens are hell bent on getting engaged in the extracurricular stuff, they at least need to be the ones instigating it. The ones who react are almost always the ones who are penalized for it.

They need those guys that drive other teams crazy, Ruutu and Cooke used to drive their stars nuts. I remember Briere completely giving up a loose puck just to try to throw an elbow at Ruutu and somehow managing to hurt himself instead.

The third line is really vanilla right now, especially with Cooke moving up. Glass and Vitale are a nice 4th liners, but they still need more guys like that that are capable of picking up more than 4th line minutes, at least occasionally.

Hopefully someone is acquired to bump Cooke down and someone else is acquired to play on the other side of that line.

Adams can stick around for the time being, and hopefully Bobby Farnham becomes an in house replacement that can slot into his spot on the 4th line. Watching Farnham is fun, but it also bums me out a little, because I remember when the NHL Pens brought some of that tenacity and sandpaper.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The Mike Milbury comments only bother me if I'm aware of them. I'd actually prefer he kept saying them, but only Sid hears them. Because Sid is going to torch people's souls.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
God forbid he gets frustrated by getting cross checked 6+ times and once in the face. Oh, let's trade the reigning Hart and Art Ross winner as well. :rolleyes::facepalm:

I agree with this. Malkin has some fire in him and some pride. He's not going to take that kind of ****. It's actually on Cooke to make sure HE is the one that retaliates / gets taken off the ice with Couturier, not Malkin. Last year it was Kunitz's job. Some of Geno's penalties are just dumb but some are understandable and that was one of them. I'm glad he stood up for himself even if Cooke didn't get in there and get in Couturier's face.

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
Vokoun let in 3 hilarious softies. Just caught one of them on the NHL Network during lunch. I'm pretty sure after watching it a second time, I don't feel any better. ;)

He almost looked like a guy who was trying to give the game away. I don't think he was but that's how bad it looked.

Our goalies get Hypnotized by Vorachek's disgusting clown beard. Ask Fleury. Seriously, if the movie The Wrestler was based on clowns instead of wrestlers he would be a shoe in for the "down and out/past his prime" clown. Hes like a mixture of Heath Ledger's Joker and a Muppet.

DeadGator401

Feb 7, 2011
Mike Milbury is a child. I guarantee he's still mad that the Pens beat the Bruins 2 times in the early ninetys.

Zatch88

Im stumbling spheres
Oct 20, 2011
Johnstown
I love Sutter and I thought this will be a huge goal for him to earn a great credit in Pittsburgh. Vokoun nullified his big goal, so sad.

Yeah that was a huge goal. I was really pumped for sutter, the crowd was going crazy and he had a smile on his face and then BAM Thomas f'in Vokoun lets in a ridiculous goal. I mostly felt really bad for Sutter when that happened.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Well my problem with Malkin retaliating is that he actually would do this ( has already) in the playoffs, and teams know this. I don't really care about the regular season, but it's simply **** that cannot be accepted in playoffs. I understand he's extremely competitive, that's obvious when he loses a puck and will slash a guy skating away , but retaliating in the playoffs just can't happen anymore.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I´ve closely watched every Flyers´ goal multiple times and I have to say that Vokoun was even worse than I initially thought. He was that HORRIFIC that I can´t even describe it. Worse than the worst MAF´s PO game vs Flyers. Absolutely brutal.

1st goal: WTF was he doing there. He is swimming in the crease like a crazy frog, getting out of the position everytime. Then he watched that crazy stuff for like 10 seconds doing absolutely nothing to help the team there. Awful.

2nd goal: I am not blaming him for this one, but I think he could do a better job using a pokecheck there. I´m sure that aggressive goalie like Brodeur would do it. Vokoun was too passive, in a difficult situation though..

3rd goal: Not a best rebound right into Simmonds. He had plenty of time to move to the other side to cover Voracek´s shot. He was moving extremely slowly.

4th goal: Bad hesitation behind the net. Whistle should be blowed then, but Vokoun´s mistake behind the net was why it happened. And once again, he was out of the crease.

5th goal: Not his fault.

6th goal: Absolutely brutal. He had no business to let the team down like this after all those mistakes he made and after all that effort the boys showed to tie the game. I love Sutter and I thought this will be a huge goal for him to earn a great credit in Pittsburgh. Vokoun nullified his big goal, so sad.

Bylsma should pull Vokoun after that 4th goal. He shouldn´t even start him, we had Panthers coming for that purpose. I´m rooting for Fleury now. So disappointed, that was a heartbreaker and I couldn´t sleep after that.

He was brutal. Contrary to popular belief, goaltending does indeed matter.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
A couple more things I've been pondering.

Everyone knows every single game against the Flyers is going to be chippy, physical, maybe even dirty. Everyone also knows that it's always the guy that retaliates that gets caught. So maybe instead of the Pens passive/aggressive style they've adopted, they could actually try instigating the physicality. Philly was down 2-0, calls a timeout, and immediately some plug boards Bortuzzo into the glass. Didn't seem like they cared too much about a 2 minute penalty, even being down 2-0. Why? It changed the momentum of the game. It could backfire, but it also can work.

Remember a few years ago against Philly, there were 3 fights in a row off the opening faceoff? 3 Pens beat the **** out of 3 Flyers. Philly didn't do too much cheap **** after that. We also had guys that could/would actually get on other teams stars nerves (Talbot, Cooke, etc). Now we have nobody that does that. Sid and Geno constantly have their heads on a swivel, yet Giroux could carry a carton of eggs.

There is no way Malkin should have taken those crosschecks. After the first 2 or 3, Cooke or whover else was on the ice at that time should have planted Coultier on his ass.

This 'team toughness' we keep hearing about isn't there. It isn't about having a goon in the lineup. It isn't about engaging in little scuffles after whistles. It's about making sure nobody ****s w/ you or your teammates. If Rinaldo wants to run around cheapshotting guys, and he's too big a puss to fight Engelland, then we need someone to start running Giroux, Brierre, etc. This team is severely missing that nastiness that made them great a few years ago, and it's pissing me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad